The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
December 22, 2014, 03:36:51 AM
462922 Posts in 9007 Topics by 14527 Members
Latest Member: Scamall
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty
| |-+  Scandanavian Royal Families (Moderators: LisaDavidson, BobAtchison, Forum Admin, Svetabel)
| | |-+  Jewels of Norway
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author
Sticky Topic Topic: Jewels of Norway  (Read 23142 times)
« on: September 29, 2005, 12:40:34 PM »
emeraldeyes Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Why is it so difficult to find out anything about the Norwegian jewels?  
I have searched the internet and haven't found anything substantial.  Can anyone help with pics?

An intelligent Hell would be better than a stupid paradise.  - Victor Hugo

Reply #1
« on: September 29, 2005, 02:56:56 PM »
Prince_Lieven Offline
Velikye Knyaz
To Be Useful In All That I Do Posts: 6588

View Profile WWW

Hmm . . . I can see why you're having problems. Surely the crown jewels were only created in 1905 and since there hasn't been a coronation since . . . do they even still exist?

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."
Reply #2
« on: September 29, 2005, 04:05:11 PM »
kmerov Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

The crown jewels were created in the 19 century and they still exist. They were used by the kings of Sweden-Norway before Haakon and Mauds coronation.
Reply #3
« on: October 02, 2005, 05:59:09 PM »
grandduchessella Offline
Global Moderator
Velikye Knyaz
Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D Posts: 13173

View Profile WWW

Are you talking of the crown jewels or of the royal jewels of Norway in particular?

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/
Reply #4
« on: October 03, 2005, 06:52:43 AM »
emeraldeyes Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

I have had no luck whatsoever with any Norwegian jewels.  Is their jewel casket small?

Reply #5
« on: October 03, 2005, 02:03:23 PM »
emeraldeyes Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Mette-Marit in some jewels that I have never seen before- anyone got some info?

« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 09:44:43 PM by Svetabel » Logged

Reply #6
« on: October 04, 2005, 02:23:02 AM »
lancashireladandre Offline
Graf
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 310

View Profile

There was an article in Majesty magazine this summer about the Norwegian jewels. The emerald set originally belonged to the Empress Josephine and passed via her grand daughters the widowed Empress of Brazil and then her sister Queen Josephine of Sweden eventually to Harald's mother Crown Princess Martha who wore them in 1953 to the coronation of Elizabeth II. The other diamond tiara ia also of Napoleonic connexion and was given to Martha by her aunt Princess Dagmar of Denmark who had inherited it via her own mother, The Swedish born Queen Louise of Denmark. There is also a diamond & pearl tiara with a interchangable centre. A copy of an original belonging to Queen Maud. The original being stolen while lodged at a famous jewellers for repair.Lastly there is a broad diamond  band which has been worn with or without a set of diamond maltese crosses along the top. This belonged to Queen Alexandra & must have been among Queen Maud's inheritance in 1925.
Reply #7
« on: October 04, 2005, 06:31:42 AM »
grandduchessella Offline
Global Moderator
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

There is also a diamond & pearl tiara with a interchangable centre. A copy of an original belonging to Queen Maud. The original being stolen while lodged at a famous jewellers for repair.

This tiara of diamonds & pearls had an ornate front design. Maud was given the tiara as a wedding present from her parents in 1896.  The tiara was a great favorite of Maud's and she was photographed in it often. It passed to her only son Olav and eventually to the current Queen, Sonja. Sonaj also seemed very fond of it and the family was understandably upset when it was stolen in 1993. the tiara had been left in the care of the promiment form of Garrard's for maintenance and was stolen somehow. Garrard's tried to keep a lid on it but Scotland Yard gave the theft wide publicity in hopes of it turning up which it never did.

Reply #8
« on: October 04, 2005, 06:34:09 AM »
grandduchessella Offline
Global Moderator
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

To replace the lost tiara, Garrards endeavored to find pearls & diamonds like those in the original tiara. They then set about making a replacement which was worn for the first time in 1996 on a state visit to the Netherlands. In the copy, there's still the ornate front design but now it is removable and just the base worn. This is how Princess Martha-Louise wore it at her wedding.

Reply #9
« on: October 04, 2005, 06:52:12 AM »
emeraldeyes Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Thank you GDella and lancashirelad for the info.  You have just increased my knowledge exponentially!
What a shame about Maud's tiara.  I suppose these things happen from time to time, but Garrard must have been absolutely mortified with the bad publicity.  Is it thought to have been an 'inside' job?  

lancashire lad, I think I know the tiara of Alexandra's to which you refer.  It is a lovely piece, and I have often wondered about its current whereabouts.  If it had still been in the possession of HM QEII, I thought it might perhaps grace the head of the Duchess of Cornwall in the near future, but alas, it would seem that will not be the case.  Perhaps Mette-Marit will dust it off instead!  (And it will look better on her anyway, IMHO)
Thanks again to both of you, and if anything more turns up, please post! Smiley

Reply #10
« on: October 04, 2005, 07:12:40 AM »
grandduchessella Offline
Global Moderator
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

The emerald set originally belonged to the Empress Josephine and passed via her grand daughters the widowed Empress of Brazil and then her sister Queen Josephine of Sweden eventually to Harald's mother Crown Princess Martha who wore them in 1953 to the coronation of Elizabeth II.

This very beautiful emerald parure, by the jeweller Bapst, could be the most expensive set of jewels in the Norwegian family. It consists of a tiara, a necklace, two brooches and earrings.

The first person to be photographed with this tiara was Queen Sophia of Sweden, the wife of Oskar II (then also King of Norway) who owned both this set and a similar set of sapphires--currently worn by her Swedish descendants and known as the Leuchtenberg sapphires. These 2 parures went to her daughters-in-law, Ingeborg (wife of Prince Carl and mother of Crown Princess Martha of Norway) and Victoria (consort of Gustav V). Martha was given the set upon the birth of her son Harold in 1937.

Queen Sophie of Sweden

Ingeborg

Crown Princess Martha

Queen Sonja

Reply #11
« on: October 04, 2005, 07:31:27 AM »
grandduchessella Offline
Global Moderator
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

Lastly there is a broad diamond  band which has been worn with or without a set of diamond maltese crosses along the top. This belonged to Queen Alexandra & must have been among Queen Maud's inheritance in 1925.

This tiara is simple diamond bandeau with detachable Maltese crosses. As Maud embraced the styles of the 1920s, she seemed to prefer the simpler lines of this tiara rather than the more ornate ones she previously was seen in. It's now often seen in simply the bandeau form.

Queen Maud

Queen Sonja

Martha Louise

Reply #12
« on: October 04, 2005, 07:47:21 AM »
grandduchessella Offline
Global Moderator
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

I think this could be the diamond tiara that once belonged to Queen Desiree of Sweden. If so, it would've come through Crown Princess Martha as well.

Queen Louise of Denmark (born Princess of Sweden)

Queen Sonja

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by grandduchessella » Logged

Reply #13
« on: October 04, 2005, 07:51:49 AM »
grandduchessella Offline
Global Moderator
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

Queen Maud wearing the Maltese Cross tiara and Crown Princess Martha wearing the Emerald tiara

Reply #14
« on: October 04, 2005, 07:59:47 AM »
grandduchessella Offline
Global Moderator
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

Queen Maud