Author Topic: NAOTMAA and Their Looks  (Read 4884 times)

Offline Katyushka

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
NAOTMAA and Their Looks
« on: October 05, 2005, 05:14:47 AM »
Hi there!  First post.  :)  I've checked many of the pages in this forum and didn't find this particular topic, so I hope it hasn't already been done and "done to death."

On to the question/topic of discussion...

I love to compare photographs and mull over "who looks like who."  It's kind of a hobby, if you will.  In studying NAOTMAA, I've found several resemblences between them.

Alix and Anastasia look almost like twins if you compare pictures from their childhoods.  Though Alix and her sisters share similar looks, there's not a lot of similarity between her and her mother, Alice.  I can't really see any resemblence Alix and her father, either.

Olga looks like Alix, but only through the eyes and forehead.  Olga and Anastasia resemble each other in their eyes and foreheads, but the similarities stop there.

IMO, Tatiana looks like her grandmother, Marie Fyodorovna and in certain photographs, she looks like her father.

Alexei looks almost identical to his father in his pre-teen and teen years, but in photos where he scrunches up his eyes, they resemble Alix's.

Nicky favors his father, but there are certain features of his mother that he inherited.  He's almost a perfect blend of both, IMO.

I'm fairly sure I've got the above figured out, how the one I can't figure out is Maria.  I can't, for the life of me, figure out from whom she inherits her looks.  I see neither her father nor her mother in her.  Oddly enough, there are certain pictures in which she holds her mouth in a way that is reminicent of Queen Elizabeth II and her daughter, Anne, but I haven't been able to pinpoint a relative or two and say, "Ah ha!  That's who she looks like!"

Does anyone have any opinions or thoughts on the looks of NAOTMAA?  I'd love to read them and discuss.  Also, if anyone wants to post side-by-side photos for comparison, that would be great!

Thanks!

Katya
Long-time fan of Hubby and Wifey, their own Fab Four and Baby.

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
Re: NAOTMAA and Their Looks
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 06:46:50 AM »
Hi Katyushka (welcome!)-

I don't know who Maria gets her looks from, all I know is she looks like Olga. Maybe she looks a little like Alix, which is where you said that Olga gets her looks...

Ritka

Offline Tatia

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 07:06:58 AM »
Welcome, Katyushka!

I think Maria got her looks from the paternal side, as a child she had great resemblance to her father when he was young, And when she got older, I think she looked more like her grandmother, Maria Feodorovna.

(Another topic like this can be found here)

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 10:57:34 AM »
Interesting opinions! I have a lot 8) on this subject but have all already posted them variously all over, maybe when I have time I will post the whole rundown here!

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 11:18:45 AM »
I am going to post my opinions then :D I think that  Anastasia resembles her mother's side The hessians, but also the Romanov side too. I think Marie had Alexandra's facial features, but the other chracteristics of the Romanovs. She so resembled Alexander III!
Alexei, it is hard to tell but I think the Romanovs with a bit of Alexandra mixed in. Tatiana had exoctic looks, like her aunt Xzenia, and her father when he was younger. Look at pictures of him when he was a child!  :o They really resemble each other. As for Olga, she looked much liker her mother's side with a bit of the Romanovs. I could expand, but then I would be writing a book! But if anyone posts their opinions, I would respond point by point. This is a good thread.

Offline speanroc

• romanov fan!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 12:32:21 PM »
very cool breakdown , and welcome to the boards

Offline isabel

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 12:50:01 PM »
In my opinion, Maria is from her father branch, she has a lot of Nicholas and a lot of her grand mother MF, many peopel says that she resembles Alexander III, for me she resembles MF, but with other color of eyes and hair, she looks like her uncle Michael in many pictures.

Anastasia is from the Hesse side. She resembles her aunt Irene so muchˇ

Tatiana looks like her father, but with the eyes of her uncle Ernest Ludwig, and the hair of Alix.

Alexei, resembles his father too, and Tatiana.

Olga for me is the more difficult, i think she had the Romanov´s features but the Hessian´s eyes.

But except Anastasia, i don´t think that they are very strong resemblances, they were quite mixed.

Offline Tania+

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 03:59:25 PM »
Isabel, I feel the same way about NAOTMAA and their looks. From what I view and read, there were a handsome family, and all had great brain power ! The children were well balanced and a joy I'm most sure to be around. What was nice to read, was that they all got along with each other so well. To me, that's a wonderful family to be a part of!

Tatiana
TatianaA

Offline isabel

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 03:04:55 AM »
I am agree with you Tania, they were really a handsom family, the five children had is own style, but all five were so beautiful and elegant ˇ ˇ.

About resemblances, what about Alexander III children?, in my opinion Nicholas and Michael where from their mother side but with clear eyes and hair.

What about George?

About the two girls, almost everybody saids that Xenia was like her mother, i don´t see MF features in her, perhaps her elegance, but in my opinion she was not as beautiful as her mother.

And Olga?, she was the less atractive of all of them (physically,... for me her personality was the most attractive), and i don´t see in her any ressemblance between her and her parents.

About Alix family, her father was extremly handsom in his youth, with a really beatiful and exotic eyes. For me, Alix, Ella(excepting their nouse) and Ernest, where more Hessian than english, Victoria was the girl who loked more as her mother, Irene was very mixed.

Offline Tania+

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 10:36:48 AM »
Yes, Isabel, precisely in terms of their looks, but more so, their hearts I think were that much more. The childrens lives were not as other childrens lives, yet they showed at an early age, that of duty to the Russian people, and showed their character in their faith to the last day. It takes more than looks to make up a human being, and here they certainly excelled.
It was a changing world, surely, yet they seemed to stay together and centered, despite all those changes.
To me, that's remarkable, for the times they were faced with. Thanks for sharing Isabel !

Tatiana
TatianaA

Offline isabel

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 02:09:38 PM »
Sure, they were very closedAlexei was only a child when they suffered the tragedy,  and he was so nursed by his sisters....

but the girls.....i asked my shelf so many times, what they feeled those terribles days, after their calm and comfortable life, seeing only their family and a few friends.....what a brutual change, what a shockˇ

As young girls, even if their personalities were different, i am sure that each of the four girls, had illusions, dreams, projets...they were begining to wake up in adults life. . . .

When i see their brilliants looks in photographs (if they where pretties or not is not important at all)...i try to introduce me in their minds (bad english i know).

All four where so differents, how they envisaged this madness in their lifes?, sure one or other was more strong, sure one or other had more faith, but what i try to explain is that this love they had between them helped to support all the tragedy.

Offline carkuczyn

• I love all things Russian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 01:23:30 AM »
i think tatiana and anastasia look like their mother's side of the family and olga and maria look like their father's side.

TheAce1918

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 05:52:13 PM »
I was thinkin' the same thing carkuczyn :D ;D

Welcome to the site Katyushka!!

Offline dianoshka

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 07:54:19 PM »
I think Maria most resembles her father.

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 06:26:53 AM »
Isabel, I feel the same way about NAOTMAA and their looks. From what I view and read, there were a handsome family, and all had great brain power ! The children were well balanced and a joy I'm most sure to be around. What was nice to read, was that they all got along with each other so well. To me, that's a wonderful family to be a part of!

Tatiana

I'm not sure what you mean by "great brain power"?  I don't think that anyone from this particular family was a dunce but I doubt that any of them were above average intelligence, all the same.  :)