Author Topic: Crowns in Conflict  (Read 5314 times)

Offline Cathy

• Boyar
  • Without books, history is silent.
    • View Profile
Crowns in Conflict
« on: July 13, 2004, 01:53:37 PM »
Has anyone read: Crowns in Conflict: The Triumph of the Tragedy of European Monarchy, 1910-1918 by Theo Aronson?  Is it factual or fiction?
Thanks Cathy

rskkiya

Re: Crowns in Conflict
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 02:29:24 PM »
Hello,

Its a factual and very good primer on who was doing what in Europe up until - during- and after- the first world war. Its also useful for keeping track of who was related to whom.

Do read it!

R.

Offline tea_rose

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 07:13:22 PM »
  This author, Theo Aronson, wrote a great many books about 19th and 20th century royalty. I have this book , "The Kaisers" , and "Victoria and Disraeli." I have read some of the others from the library. His books are concise-but written with some flair and personality-an earlier version of John Van Der Kiste.

He recently published a fascinating compilation of some of his journal entries retelling his writing life-"Royal Pursuits." It can be very funny-I won't repeat the anecdote about Felix Yussopov! Get the book-you won't forget it!  

Offline Cathy

• Boyar
  • Without books, history is silent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 03:19:30 PM »
Thanks so much for your opinions, rskkiya and tea_rose.  I am now reading some of T. Aronson's articles in Majesty magazine about British royalty and I am enjoying them very much.
Cathy

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 05:00:01 PM »
Theo was a wonderful writer and person !! But for reasons of his own, he refused to write a book about the Romanovs themselves. He reckoned they were in most of  his other books enough already.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline tea_rose

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 12:04:01 PM »
Robert, has he passed away? I know he was having cancer treatments in "Royal Pursuits"-but I had the impression that it had gone into remission.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 02:57:33 PM »
Sadly to report, Theo did, indeed pass away in May of 2003. He was a dear friend & wonderful writer.
The frustrating bit about him, I say with a smile, is that he did not put in writing half of what he really knew !!
Many still miss him very much.
Cheers,
Robert
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

rskkiya

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004, 04:43:23 PM »
I am so sorry to hear  of his demise ....He was a very clever & witty writer.

R

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
    • Queen Victoria's Granddaughters
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2004, 07:25:43 PM »
Hey Robert,
I was also privileged to know Theo, and miss him very much.  He was one of those people whose charm swept you away the minute you met him.  A truly lovely, lovely man -- as well as a wonderful historian.

Here in the states the book was called ROYAL SUBJECTS.  It's a hoot.
So long and thanks for all the fish