Author Topic: Richard Cullen's Documentary on Rasputin as Shown on Discovery Channel  (Read 38656 times)

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
There's a show coming on the Discovery channel tonight at 9 EST about Rasputin's murder, just wanted to let you know if you're interested!

Edited by Alixz 04/14/2009 - This is an old thread and the Discovery Channel showed this documentary in 2005.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 06:23:06 PM by Alixz »

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Re: Rasputin show tonight
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 09:00:10 PM »
Thanks, Annie!

I caught the last 40 minutes or so.  One question, though: is the Discovery Channel more accurate than the History Channel??
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

rskkiya

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 09:08:19 PM »
I think this one is just as inacurate as so many other History Channel shows ...They keep calling Rasputin a "Monk" and talk about "so and so" being at   the "PALACE"  at the time -as if there were only one in all of St Petersburg!

Arrrggg!

rs

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 09:40:43 PM »
I noticed that, too.

Agent John Scale's daughter claimed he lived "at the palace" but wasn't present at Rasputin's murder because he was "off somewhere with the Tsar." Any truth in that, or is it just too sketchy to prove?

The final analysis of the murder scenario seemed plausible, but I'm not expert enough on Rasputin's death to spot anything but outright baloney.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by sarahelizabethii »
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 10:30:48 PM »
I do think there is more to the story than Yussoupov or Purishkevitch told us, and there is proof there were more people there that night than they admit to. But I don't know about this story. I don't think the guy was 'off somewhere with the Tsar' when he was at Stavka. I wonder about Dmitri's involvement, I think it was more than anyone admits to, he was so upset by any mention of the story.

The big thing is, there is a shot between the eyes that no one has an account for. So the speculation must go on. It could have been Dmitri, he was a good shot.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 12:01:54 AM »
... there is a shot between the eyes ... It could have been Dmitri, he was a good shot.

That same idea crossed my mind as well. Dmitri was a military officer of the Horse Guards who knew how to use a weapon. Perhaps this was the real reason why he chose to remain silent? ???

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 10:42:53 AM »
The show was presented by Richard Cullen, who is a regular member here. You can ask him yourselves. He is acting as chief prosecutor in the mock trial thread.

As I recall, Nicholas wasn't "away somewhere" that night, but in the AP...I don't have my source material here, so there is a chance I am in error.  My biggest complaints were two-fold, first, NO ONE in the AP or Yussupov palaces were using CANDLES for regular lighting for pete's sake. The AP was the first building in Russia to be totally electrified, back in the 1890s. Second, Alexandra did not drink and Rasputin NEVER would have stood while she sat to pour her wine, alone by candle light. AND R. was not "always immediately summoned to Alexei's bedside" every time he was sick...

All in all, interesting stuff...not sure how totally accurate, but Mr. Cullen did spend a lot of time in his research.

Offline Tatia

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 11:16:12 AM »
Too bad they don't show that here, we have Mythbusters :-/
But I think it will broadcasted here sometime...
Anyway, thanks for this announcement, I bet there will be a lot of members who can see it :)

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 11:38:47 AM »

That same idea crossed my mind as well. Dmitri was a military officer of the Horse Guards who knew how to use a weapon. Perhaps this was the real reason why he chose to remain silent? ???

I think that is very possible,and why he was so guilt stricken. He was also an Olympic athlete, placing 7th in the heptathalon.

Also, Puriskevitch's memos are full of 'thank God the young Grand Duke's hands are not stained with the blood of this peasant' as if he's trying to take attention away from that because some had plans of installing Dmitri as Tsar once N was ousted, and they wouldn't want that on his record. But the way he kept bringing it up and made such a big deal of it made me think Dmitri DID do it and he was covering up!

Offline anna

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 11:43:15 AM »
As I recall, Nicholas wasn't "away somewhere" that night, but in the AP...I don't have my source material here, so there is a chance I am in error.  

Wasn't Nicholas at Stavka at the time of the murder?

I recall Alexandra wrote him a letter "Our Friend has disappeared" and asked the Tsar to "Come quickly".

Anna
Watch your thoughts, they become words. Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2005, 11:43:51 AM »
The show was presented by Richard Cullen, who is a regular member here. You can ask him yourselves. He is acting as chief prosecutor in the mock trial thread.

I thought that was 'our' Richard Cullen!

Can we have the mock Rasputin trial now?

My biggest complaints were two-fold, first, NO ONE in the AP or Yussupov palaces were using CANDLES for regular lighting for pete's sake. The AP was the first building in Russia to be totally electrified, back in the 1890s.

I noticed that too!

In Nicholas and Alexandra, as Rasputin stumbles out onto the courtyard, they have one carriage sitting there, why? Everyone who was there that night had cars, mostly closed cars with headlights, like we have now. Why do people make mistakes like this? If they make such silly errors it makes me doubt the rest of their research! (in a documentary)

Second, Alexandra did not drink and Rasputin NEVER would have stood while she sat to pour her wine, alone by candle light.

And she also didn't speak to Nicholas in fluent Russian, as was shown in one scene.

All in all, interesting stuff...not sure how totally accurate, but Mr. Cullen did spend a lot of time in his research.

Yes, he did a good job, the things we mentioned are the fault of the people who made the sets and were in charge of the reinactments (if those reinactments were even made for that show, I don't think so)

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2005, 06:02:17 PM »
According to The Complete Wartime Correspondence, Nicholas was at Stavka at the time of Rasputin's murder. I don't know exactly when he arrived at Ts.S. but the last telegram Alix sent him that year is dated 19 December.

David_Pritchard

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2005, 10:37:05 PM »
I watched the entirety of the programme last night. As it progressed, I kept reminding myself that this is a television show for entertainment purposes and that anyone who is really interested in this historical topic would read a book or two on the subject.

One can hardly hold Mr. Cullen responsible for the skewered history. It takes a very strong, persistent and forceful historian to keep a producer, director and editor from destroying one's good research because they feel it would be more entertaining if portrayed in an inaccurate or embellished manner.

As for true history, we have a number of versions of the story. I have long felt that the role of Grand Duke Dmitry has been downplayed. It should be noted that of all of the conspirators, it was Grand Duke Dmitry who received the harshest punishment from the Emperor.

We do know from the inquest that it was the Grand Duke who ultimately killed Rasputin as the Grand Duke attached weights to Rasputin and dropped him in the river. The autopsy stated that the cause of death was drowning.

I have always found it a bit odd that Felix claimed to have done the shooting himself. I am more inclined to believe that an accomplished soldier did the deed rather than an effete and dissolute cross-dresser.

As you know, the Grand Duke never broke his pledge regarding the secrecy of that night. This is could easily be seen as a sign of guilt. It would be much easier to write or speak about the Rasputin event if one did not do the actual killing.

Dmitry's son, Prince Paul was also haunted by the Rasputin death when he was in school, being taunted by the other children as being the son of the man who killed the Mad Monk. Prince Paul used his excellent social connections to downplay anything that may not reflect well upon his father. A more recent example of this was in the 1990's when Paul had A&E Biography not mention his father's name in the programme about Coco Chanel but simply show his photograph and refer to him as the Russian Grand Duke.

David

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2005, 11:00:54 PM »
You have inside family knowledge don't you David?  Please tell us more.

Do you have knowledge of the autopsy report....where it dissappeared to along the way?  It is hard knowing what to believe because every book that I've read gives another version of the murder and of who the shooter was, etc...I certainly don't believe much of what Felix wrote in his books, nothing rings true.

I have always admired Grand Duke Dmitry's son Prince Paul and his children in Ohio for their down to earth views on things.  No publicity seekers there....I like them!

Keep on posting David I really appreciate it!

..Arleen

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2005, 11:13:40 PM »
So how many of you favor Dmitry as the shooter rather than the British agent theory?