Author Topic: Personal travel private trains  (Read 12679 times)

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
Re: Personal travel private trains
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2004, 03:26:56 PM »
The rail traffic in Europe before WW1 was pretty thin by modern standards, with long intervals between trains. So it could be quite easy to squeeze in extra trains without causing delays for plain passengers. The freight traffic might have been more affected - but who cared?

Offline JD

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2004, 01:53:07 PM »
Yep, the Yussupov's had two identical carriages, one for travel within in Russia and one for travel in Europe. I always thought that sounded pretty cheap for a family that's supposedly so wealthy and flamboyant!

Domovo and Harald - where can one read descriptions of the various royal carriages themselves? I have never come accross such information until I discovered this site (where I found info about the Tsar's train).

Offline JD

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2004, 07:31:04 PM »
Also, does anyone know whether any non-(European and Russian) royals had their own trains, instead of just a personal carriage or two to attach on to public trains?

Offline James1941

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2004, 09:39:58 PM »
JD:  One possible reason the Yousoupovs had two identical carriages, one for Russian travel and one for European travel may be due to the fact that Russian railroads and European railroads had two different "gauges" to travel on. Gauge refers to the width or distance between the two rails. If I am not mistaken Russian gauge is 5 feet, where as European gauge was a standard 3 ft  4 inches. Supposedly when railroads were first beginning to be built in Russia, the Tsar (Nicholas I, I think) ordered that Russian guage be wider than that used in Europe. The theory was that this would make it harder for any potential invader to use the Russian rails. It was foolish, because all the invader had to do was move one rail closer in and then use the railroad. It did mean, however, that Russian railway carriages were wider and more commodious than European carriages. It also meant that if one wanted to travel in Europe like the Yousoupovs they needed two types of carriages. Spain, I believe, also has a different gauge on its RENFE railways. I may not be accurate in all my facts, but I hope it helps explain the reason why Russian coaches and engines were different thatn European ones. Thanks.

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2004, 10:40:12 PM »
Thank you, James1941! And that explains why the trains used by Nicholas and his family could be truly palatial. I have often wondered how all that has been described could actually fit on board their train, and now I know why!

Offline Alexander Sebastianovich

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 09:47:11 AM »
I don´t know about non-royal families, but the King of Bavaria and the King of Württemberg had their own saloon coaches, which are nowadays available as 1:87 models.

The bavarian coach was the heaviest passenger coach in Germany of that time and replaced King Ludwig II.´s court train. It was build for Prinzregent Luitpold in 1898/99 at J. Rathgeber Car Company in Munich.

The royal coach (A 20) of the King of Württemberg doesn´t seem to be much less comfortable. There were some older coaches there, too. Here is an link to a description (in german) of the first saloon car in Württemberg, which was build in the early 1850ies and remained in service until WWI!

http://www.laenderbahn-forum.de/journal/der_erste_wuertembergische_salonwagen/der_Salonwagen_A1_der_Wuertembergischen_Staatsbahn.html

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 10:05:57 AM »
Ordering a special train for one's own purposes wasn't that difficult in late 19th century Europe, if Anthony Hope, author of 'The Prisoner of Zenda', is to be believed. In the sequel, 'Rupert of Hentzau', Fritz von Tarlenheim needs to get quickly to a place which is on a railway line but a long way from a main road. He calls for a special train at the main station in Strelsau, and an engine and a couple of carriages are ready for him within an hour or so.

There are a couple of carriages from British royal trains at the National Railway Museum in York. I'm not certain, but I think one of them is from Queen Victoria's reign. Their website may have some pictures.

I like the idea of younger Grand Dukes slumming it in ordinary first-class compartments!

Ann

Constantinople

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 02:58:02 PM »
here is an article on Queen Elizabeths train.  It looks amazingly plain inside.