Author Topic: Colorization Step-By-Step  (Read 120513 times)

Offline Joyann1

• Boyar
  • We can only move forward.
    • View Profile
Re: Colorization Step-By-Step
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2007, 05:47:51 PM »
i used already downloaded a copple o programs but i cant find an good one to Make coloured pictures can u guys tell me wich programs i can use
Download and payed ones i dont care

Offline GDLynn

• AnastasiaNRfan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2007, 09:16:38 AM »
Dose anyone know if you can color B&W photos with The Gimp 2.2? and how to?  cuz that's what I have and I'd love to try coloring Photos....

Lynn

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2007, 09:44:42 AM »
Joyann;

Adobe Photoshop Elements is a good product to buy or try. It's very simple to use and great for coloring pictures or making graphics. I use it for the majority of my works. It's easy and not as expensive as the other photoshop programs to purchase. I got it for about $75.00. I use Elements 4.0 but there may be a newer version out so look for that.

Holly.
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2007, 10:26:55 AM »
Joyann;

Adobe Photoshop Elements is a good product to buy or try. It's very simple to use and great for coloring pictures or making graphics. I use it for the majority of my works. It's easy and not as expensive as the other photoshop programs to purchase. I got it for about $75.00. I use Elements 4.0 but there may be a newer version out so look for that.

Holly.
Thanks for the information Holly, I need to buy it. I am going to look for it, so the name of it: Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0. ! The price is not so bad $75. But I saw this other program Adobe Photoshop CS2 I wanted it but it was $600. I am not paying that much money I will try the program you suggested. So I have to order online ? ebay or amazon ! or it is in stores.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 10:29:29 AM by Elizabeth~Princess »

Offline covenant

• 3D Tatiana
    • View Profile
    • Romanov Dynasty
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2007, 09:21:14 PM »
Elizabeth~Princess; I have an un-used copy of Photoshop Elements 2.0 that came with my scanner if you wish to have that, if you just want PSE for colourization of old photographs it will do the job (as all you need is a vast array of colours and a few layers). Though to anyone who wants to get the job done alot more quickly I suggest Photoshop CS3.

I'll post a tutorial here soon on how to create a colour photograph from a B/W once I have finished developing my website for the 3D Alexander Palace.

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2007, 09:24:10 PM »
Covenant,
I hope you will post a url to your website. I would love to see it.
Lexi
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2007, 09:58:32 PM »
Elizabeth~Princess; I have an un-used copy of Photoshop Elements 2.0 that came with my scanner if you wish to have that, if you just want PSE for colourization of old photographs it will do the job (as all you need is a vast array of colours and a few layers). Though to anyone who wants to get the job done alot more quickly I suggest Photoshop CS3.

I'll post a tutorial here soon on how to create a colour photograph from a B/W once I have finished developing my website for the 3D Alexander Palace.
Covenant can you please do that ~? can I use it I just want to color black and white photos so badly again ! I would also love to see your website. :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 10:00:30 PM by Elizabeth~Princess »

Offline covenant

• 3D Tatiana
    • View Profile
    • Romanov Dynasty
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2007, 11:04:35 PM »
Thanks for showing support! The website will be at- www.romanovdynasty.com, i'm spending all my free time developing it so it should be on schedule!

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2007, 06:11:20 PM »
Photoshop Elements 4.0 works just as good as any other program, I've found. I've used a lot of them too. I've also found that you don't really need to work with layers to create a realistic looking colored photograph. A lot of people who use tons of layers and effects tend to create colored pictures that look fake, pasty and cartoony looking.
Tips:
*You can make things look more real or add more depth to things by using the brush but selecting 'multiply' and going over it in the same color or a different shade.
*To make the cheeks of a person have a pinkish hue/blush, I go to the skin color and just make it have more red in it. Then I use a soft round brush but go to 'multiply' and go over the cheek area at about a 10-15 opacity. The same can be used for the lips if you add more red to the color.
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

Offline covenant

• 3D Tatiana
    • View Profile
    • Romanov Dynasty
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2007, 08:35:19 PM »
On the contrary of what you have just said, alot of layers are very handy for taking away unwanted colours that you have painted to the project. I and many other Photoshop users use a differant layer for each colour (or a simular set of colours), which isn't so difficult or messy if you keep the project grouped & organized. Working from a small ammount of layers can sometimes get you fairly stuck with what you've got and will force you to erase parts of the image if you decide later to change them. The fake, pasty and cartoony look is generally due to using the wrong colours or layer effects; not the number of layers or effects applied (though some people can go overboard  ;) ).

CS3 is turning out to be a great step forward in terms of colourization. The other night I managed to get a great steady workflow and managed to turnaround a full photorealistic coloured photograph from a b/w in 30 minutes, which makes a huge differance to the hour or two that I had before with cs/2.

Offline Joyann1

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2007, 07:36:45 PM »
Hello! im realy bad at makeing coloured picutres becuase i jsut cant! i tell you guys how i do it and plz tell me what i'm doing wrong

i use adobe photoshop element 5.0

1. i open an picture than i pout it on mode RBG color.
2. im using magic wand tool [ when i do face i need to do it like 8 time because i only select an small area ]
3.then i do enchance, adjust color then replace colour then im coloring it but only like a realy small are on the picture and if i do this it will take ages before i finish it.

Can u guys plz tell me what i'm doing wrong or got any tips?

Thank you Joy-Ann :-*

Offline Joyann1

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2007, 07:39:59 PM »
o and most of the time when im doing it it ownt change color its stays black and white :S

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »
I've never used the magic wand tool to color.. I'm not even sure if it will work well for it. Have you ever tried just selecting the round brush and going over the things you want to color with that? That's the easiest. Also you can use the magnetic lasso tool to select the area you want to color and then right clicking on it. Click on 'fill selection' then pick the color and opacity and it's done.  ;)

Offline GDLynn

• AnastasiaNRfan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2007, 08:46:17 PM »
o and most of the time when im doing it it ownt change color its stays black and white :S

check the Mode...it needs to be in RGB mode....if it is in 'Graysclale' it wont color it..

Lynn

Offline Joyann1

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2007, 06:38:54 AM »
ok Both thank you :D that will help