Author Topic: Pictures and Paintings of the Queen - Empress Victoria  (Read 129786 times)

Offline Angie_H

• Knyaz
  • http://booboogbs.deviantart.com My Colored Pics!
    • View Profile
    • Eigna
Re: Pictures and Paintings of the Queen - Empress Victoria
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2004, 09:35:40 AM »
I love the portraits of Queen Victoria and her family by Winterhalter. He supposedly did one of the 4 eldest girls (Vicky, Alice, Louise & Helena) but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have a copy it?
Angie

Offline jackie3

• Boyar
  • "...such pig and filth!" - GD Anastasia N.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2004, 05:40:53 AM »
Personally, I wish that I could paint like that and from a fashion point of view, he is utterly invaluable to those of us that are sometimes obliged to recreate the toilettes of the 1860's, which due to the fragile nature of the fabrics used are very rare amongst costume collections.

I agree. I'd rather have that the talent to paint like that than being a rocket scientist or something. I love photographs and photography, but it's a shame the art of portrait painting seems to have fallen dramatically. Oil paintings by someone's hand seems to bring out the inner person of the subject much more than mere photos can express.

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2004, 12:28:29 PM »
I think that Winterhalter is a genius.  In his day however he faced a lot of criticism.  When the portrait of the Empress Eugenie surrounded by her ladies-in-waiting was exhibited at the Exposition Universelle ( in a place of honour), the critic G.Planche in the Revue Des Mondes had this to say
'The portrait of the Empress and her ladies-in-waiting is truly a parody of Watteau, but a parody in which the scale allows for no room for error.  All the mistakes, all the omissions which are forgiveable in a ten-inch figure are unforgiveable in a figure which is life-size.  The little girls who walk past M. Winterhalter's canvas marvel - and with good reason - at those creamy dresses; it is in fact the only praise allowable to this strange composition.  The trees which provide shade for the characters have neither bark nor leaves; as the characters themselves, how can they be seriously spoken of?  Never has ignorance been displayed with such defiance.  I can perceive something which the artist intended to be heads, and although there is not a single feature of the face which is at all close to nature, I must acknowledge his intention; but the shape of the body is not even so much as indicated.  It is a challenge  to all the laws of painting.  These dresses, so coquettishly displayed, contain absolutely nothing.'
Winterhalter has very much captured the flavour of the age - from the 1830's to the early 1870's he painted many royals and aristocrats of note; his work really keeps this era alive.
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

elisa_1872

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2004, 02:57:29 PM »
I love the portraits of Queen Victoria and her family by Winterhalter. He supposedly did one of the 4 eldest girls (Vicky, Alice, Louise & Helena) but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have a copy it?
Angie

Hi! This is really interesting! May i ask where you read that? I know the famous family portrait, and the single portraits, of Princess Alice, etc., but this painting has just the four daughters?

Best wishes Angie! :)

PS)In the book "Victoria and Albert, a Family life at Osborne House" by HRH the Duchess of York, you can find many lovely examples of Winterhalter's work, including a great one of Princesses Victoria and Alice in eighteenth century costume as children!

Offline Lisa

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Alix & Ella
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2004, 03:51:46 AM »
Grandduchessella posted it few days ago (thanks! :D :-*):
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Lisa »

Offline princessalice

• Remembering Princess Alice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2004, 09:31:33 PM »
I love the work of Winterhalter!!  But, i am not that impressed with his portrait of Alice, or i should say it isn't one of my favorites of hers.  they say he could make any royal person look good, even the most plain!!

gorgeous pictures!!  thanks for sharing!
Minnesotan by residence
Texan by the Grace of God

Offline Michelle

• Knyaz
  • No more school forever!  Well,except college.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2004, 08:15:05 PM »
Who are all those little girls in that painting that was just posted?  I believe it was shown on another thread and I commented on how much the one second from the left reminds me of Tatiana Nikolaevna, with the whole shape of the face, chin, etc.!  What did this little girl look like when she was a young woman?  

Offline pushkina

• Boyar
  • Wandering between two worlds,one dead,
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2004, 07:13:36 AM »
i LOVE the portrait of sissi with her dozen diamond stars in her hair.  i love the stars, the idea of diamond stars shimmering amongst very dark hair, in the candelight, must have been breathtaking. how franz jozef must have loved her: the most difficult woman(some would read crazy) in central europe but also the most beautiful

she gave them away to no one knows who in one of her less is more moods, as she gave away most of her important jewelry.

i tried to convince my first husband that he shoud ahve them copied for me in vienna (somebody there shoudl be able to do it, no?  but he wouldn't get with the program.  my current husband bought me diamond stars for my ears but not my hair.i'm sure they would cost 5 very big houses. oh well, i can dream.....
outrageous, alarming, courageous, charming.

Offline Silja

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2004, 03:36:54 PM »
Hi pushkina,

The jeweller A.E. Köchert from Vienna makes copies of Sisi's famous stars.

www.koechert.com

But you're right, you should start saving money - he he he

Regards,
Silja

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2004, 05:44:53 AM »
i LOVE the portrait of sissi with her dozen diamond stars in her hair.  i love the stars, the idea of diamond stars shimmering amongst very dark hair, in the candelight, must have been breathtaking. how franz jozef must have loved her: the most difficult woman(some would read crazy) in central europe but also the most beautiful

she gave them away to no one knows who in one of her less is more moods, as she gave away most of her important jewelry.

i tried to convince my first husband that he shoud ahve them copied for me in vienna (somebody there shoudl be able to do it, no?  but he wouldn't get with the program.  my current husband bought me diamond stars for my ears but not my hair.i'm sure they would cost 5 very big houses. oh well, i can dream.....

Pushkina, you are absolutely right.  Diamond stars were the ultimate in glamorous jewellery and what better ornament could she have chosen to augment her wonderful and much envied hair?  Much better than a tiara, with its rigid frame and form - stars could be arranged however she wished, according to whatever style she preferred.  What a shame that she gave them away; mind you, I don't think that anything much remains of the famed Habsburg jewels anyway..........
How amazing that Kochert still make them - they must be so expensive.  Keep at it though Pushkina, perseverance often pays dividends!

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2004, 08:50:55 AM »
I hadn't realised that Winterhalter had painted quite so much for Queen Victoria.  I have never seen the painting that features Queen Victoria standing with the young Bertie before!
She really must have loved his work....

Agneschen

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2004, 09:07:49 AM »
Site about the French Orléans family - last 8 paintings by Winterhalter (King Louis-Philippe's family) :
http://www.heraldica.org/topics/france/orleans_ic.htm

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2004, 06:09:49 PM »
You might ask GDElla about the Winterhalter portrait of Alexandra Iosifovna as I believe she sent an image of it to me.  I have the image, but it is on my machine at work.  She might know where the original is.
My educated guess would be that it was at Pavlovsk, if not at the Hermitage....

Offline pushkina

• Boyar
  • Wandering between two worlds,one dead,
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2005, 03:16:35 AM »

How amazing that Kochert still make them - they must be so expensive.  Keep at it though Pushkina, perseverance often pays dividends!

thanks martyn; from your mouth to god's ears, as we say.  

the modern ones are lovely but to me, (at least) look nothing at all like those in the painting.  but one day, i WILL have them!
outrageous, alarming, courageous, charming.

Offline VictoriaVRI

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2009, 08:37:12 PM »
Does Anyone have any Pictures or portaits of victoria ; with the new movie coming out it's renewed my interest