Author Topic: Princess Mathilde of Saxe-Coburg (Bavaria)  (Read 38070 times)

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
Re: Princess Mathilde of Saxe-Coburg (Bavaria)
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2005, 01:32:46 AM »
Thanks, Marie,for the pics!!! :)

Marc, it seems you have in your collection of images not only colour-portraits  ;)

Offline Daniela

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2005, 07:50:53 AM »
It was widely known that this wasn´t a love match at all and that Mathilde only married him to get away from home.

So, Mathilde wasn't in love with Ludwig, but what about him? Apparently, since he remarried so soon after Mathilde died, it wasn't a love match from his side either, or am I wrong?

BTW, I think that they looked good together.

Daniela
Izberi svojo ljubezen, in ljubi svoj izbor!

Linnea

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2005, 09:36:21 AM »
Well, Ludwig was charmed by the beauty of Mathilde and wanted to marry her even though Mathilde´s parents were not very thrilled by this idea (Ludwig wasn´t that a good match). Marie Therese, Mathilde´s mother even sent back letters Ludwig had sent to Mathilde, hoping that would discourage Ludwig and his hopes to marry Mathilde.
I don´t know why Ludwig remarried so early, maybe he wanted to give his young children a new mother (Anton and Maria Immaculata were 5 and 2 years old by the time of their father´s second marriage).
By the way, I think  Mathilde really had a great resemblance with her mother Therese (as a young woman):
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Linnea »

Offline trentk80

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2005, 01:16:04 PM »
Great pictures!

Does anyone have more information on Mathilde's mother, Maria Theresa?
Ladran los perros a la Luna, y ella con majestuoso desprecio prosigue el curso de su viaje.

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Sophie Charlotte (1847-1897)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2005, 02:14:54 PM »
Marie Therese Henriette Dorothée, Archduchess of Austria-Este, was the only child of Elisabeth Franziska Maria, Archduchess of Austria, (1831-1903) and Ferdinand Karl, Archduke of Austria and Prince of Modena-Este (1821-1849).
Elisabeth was a famous beauty. There were even rumours that Emperor Franz Joseph wanted to marry her, after she had become widow in 1849. FJ's mother, Archduchess Sophie, rejected the Hungarian branch of the Imperial House. In order to prevent him from marrying her, she arranged Elisabeth's marriage with Archduke Karl Ferdinand (1818-1874) in 1854. Archduke Karl Ferdinand was a son of the famous Archduke Karl and younger brother of Archduke Albrecht. Elisabeth had the following children from this marriage: Franz Joseph (1855-1855), Friedrich (1856-1936), Marie Christine (1858-1929, Queen of Spain), Karl Stephan (1860-1933), Eugen (1863-1954) and Maria Eleonora (1864-1864).

Marie Therese was born on 02 July 1849 in Brünn. Her father died 5 months after her birth.
She married Prince Ludwig of Bavaria (1845-1921), son of Prince-Regent Luitpold and Auguste Ferdinande of Tuscany, on 20 February 1868 in Vienna. Although the marriage was arranged by King Ludwig I. of Bavaria (he died 9 days after the wedding...), they were quite happy and had 13 children.
Since 1868 they lived in the Wittelsbacherpalais in Munich and didn't have that much money. In 1875 Marie Therese inherited Schloss Wildenwart and Ludwig bought the Castle of Leutstetten, where the couple and their children spent most of their time.
Marie Therese loved to climb mountains and she was good at music. But her biggest hobby was growing plants. She even published articles in magazines and illustrated them.
From 05 November 1913 until the revolution in November 1918 Marie Therese was the last Queen of Bavaria.
She died on 03 February 1919 at her Castle Wildenwart. She was laid to rest in the Frauenkirche, Munich. Her heart can be found in the Gnadenkapelle, Altötting.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by MarieCharlotte »
Ich aber breite trauernd aus
die weiten weissen Schwingen,
Und kehr' ins Feenreich nach Haus -
Nichts soll mich wieder bringen.

Elisabeth

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Sophie Charlotte (1847-1897)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2005, 02:22:38 PM »

Marie Therese, Princess of Bavaria

Marie Therese and Ludwig, Prince of Bavaria

King Ludwig III. and Queen Marie Therese of Bavaria

Ich aber breite trauernd aus
die weiten weissen Schwingen,
Und kehr' ins Feenreich nach Haus -
Nichts soll mich wieder bringen.

Elisabeth

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2005, 05:15:13 PM »
Wasn't she the de facto Queen of Bavaria due to her husband being regent for all those decades?

She's regarded as Queen Mary (I forget the Roman Numeral) by the Jacobites.

The Jacobite Succession (and Marie Therese's standing)can be found on the CP Rupprecht thread:

http://hydrogen.pallasweb.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=wilhelm;action=display;num=1117582755
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by grandduchessella »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Linnea

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2005, 07:51:57 AM »
Wasn't she the de facto Queen of Bavaria due to her husband being regent for all those decades?

It was actually her father-in-law, Luitpold, who was the Bavarian regent for a long time (1886-1912). Her husband Ludwig, Luitpold´s eldest son, became regent in 1912 and king in 1913.

Offline Elizabeth_Fern

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2005, 11:46:42 AM »
why did mother and daughter have such a bad relationship? why did she feel she needed to escape her parents home and marry someone who she did not love and someone who her parents dissaproved of?

Linnea

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2005, 12:05:19 PM »
I think mother and daughter didn´t have a good relationship because of their different personalities. Therese was a rather down-to-earth woman, while Mathilde was dreamy and melancholy. Once Therese wrote to her husband about Mathilde: "Oh, she (Mathilde) is driving me mad! She never stops talking about marrying (and makes her sisters crazy through this)!"
Mathilde didn´t always feel very confortable at home (many sibblings, the family had to economize all the time etc). This might have been the reason for her wanting to leave home as soon as possible. And the only way to leave was marrying.
Her parents didn´t really disapprove Ludwig; they just thought he wasn´t the right match for Mathilde as he wasn´t a heir etc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Linnea »

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2005, 03:54:59 PM »
It was actually her father-in-law, Luitpold, who was the Bavarian regent for a long time (1886-1912). Her husband Ludwig, Luitpold´s eldest son, became regent in 1912 and king in 1913.

Thanks Linnea. I'm not a Bavarian expert and all those Luitpolds and Ludwigs throw me.  ;)
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Linnea

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2005, 10:16:33 AM »
One of Mathilde´s poems:

Jugend

Mit dem Strohhut in der Hand,
War es mir, als trügen Flügel
Durch den Wald mich, übers Land,
Über bunte Frühlingshügel.

Auf den heißen Wangen glühten
Mir die Rosen maienwahr,
Und die weißen Kirschenblühten
Flocht ich mir ins dunkle Haar.

Meine Jugend ist vergangen,
Wie ein lindes Frühlingsweh.
Habe mir kein Glück eingefangen,
Hab´s im Traume nur gesehn´!

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2005, 01:02:50 PM »
Hmm, could you please translate in English this poem? I am able to understand just 6-7 words in German variant ::)

Linnea

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2005, 02:58:21 PM »
Oh, my English isn´t that good actually! :( Maybe somebody else can translate it? If not, I will translate it tomorrow!

Linnea

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2005, 03:08:56 AM »
Youth

With the straw hat in the hand,
I felt as if wings were carrying me
through the woods, over the land,
over colourful hills of spring.

On my hot cheeks
the roses were glowing,
and I plaited the white
cherry blossoms in my dark hair.

My youth has bygone
like a dulce drif of spring.