Author Topic: Anyone recognize this ribbon?  (Read 1877 times)

Offline landsknechte

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Anyone recognize this ribbon?
« on: October 23, 2005, 12:17:59 AM »
Does anyone recognize the blue and white ribbon on this lapel bow?

There's a very real chance that this was made in Germany, given that at least one of the ribbons (the Order of St. Vladimir) is obviously a stand in for what was likely difficult ribbon to locate there.  Given that, if there's a similar ribbon that anyone is aware of, I'd be interested in that as well.

Thanks,
--Chris

David_Pritchard

Re: Anyone recognize this ribbon?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 01:23:24 AM »
I know of two orders which existed at the beginning of the 20th century. A third order bears the same ribbon, the Argentine Order of the Liberator San Martin, but this order was established post World War Two.

First Choice: The Greek Order of the Redeemer:

Second Choice: The Portuguese Order of Our Lady of the Conception of Vila Vicosa:

David

Offline landsknechte

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone recognize this ribbon?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 02:28:42 AM »
The only positively identified match that I've found for this is a ribbon for a pre-WWI Bavarian Landwehr long service decoration specifically intended for a miniature ribbon such as this.

(an example)

The color and the the width of the stripes match almost exactly, however it makes no logical sense in this context.  It may have been locally available stock intended to represent something else.  

I guess the ultimate question is whether or not there would be a logical situation where a Russian of this period would have ended up with the Redeemer Order or the Villa Vicosa.  I honestly have no idea...

I have a pair of post-1934 Bavarian ribbon bars that have what appears to be an identical ribbon, and I have had absolutely no luck nailing down what it's supposed to represent.

...as you can see, they're pretty darn close in terms of their dimensions, and the difference in colors is within the range  of normal fading / dye lot variations:

The aforementioned Landwehr decoration makes no sense in this context either, and I'm beginning to think that we've got another case of "recycling" as a expediency by the tailor that put these together.  Perhaps with the same "close enough" ribbon being used in two places - possibly to represent the same decoration that was scarce enough in Imperial Germany that an exact match wasn't feasable.  After seeing that ribbon appear on a Russian lapel bow, it raised the question as to whether it might be a obscure Russian decoration of some sort.

Some odd ribbons appeared on German bars during the period:

--Chris