Author Topic: The Daughters of Leopld II of Belgium  (Read 65044 times)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: The Daughters of Leopld II of Belgium
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2006, 09:54:17 PM »
From what I have heard, it was much better than hers with her own mother (Queen Marie Henriette of Belgium).  ;)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2006, 11:53:34 PM »
Didn't they eventually fall out though?

Stephanie had a good opinion of her looks--if you go by her memoirs--but others, like Sisi, weren't so kind. I think it depended on how she was photographed--her eyes could look rather squinty depending on the angle. She apparently had a lovely complexion though.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Vaska_Meow

• Eat my litter, Bolshie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2006, 02:55:46 PM »
So you are married off to a chap who gives you VD (in the pre antibiotic era, no less) and suggests you commit suicide with him.

Short of grabbing your daughter, packing your bags, and heading for the hills while leaving no forwarding address---which you just can't manage to pull off since you are a royal, how could one deal with Rudolf?

Vaska is back, and this time...it's personal.

Agneschen

« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2006, 04:51:03 AM »
How was her relationship with her daughter?  

Stéphanie's relationship with her daughter was far from idyllic, especially after Erzsi's divorce from Otto Windisch Graetz. The young woman's unconventional & provocative behaviour was not at all to Stéphanie's liking. Erzsi was very much her father's daughter - she inherited Rudolf's rebellious spirit & radical opinions as well as his exaltation & instability (to put it midly). Mother & daughter's personalities were so radically opposed that they could not fail to clash. All contact ultimately ceased between the 2 women. In later life, Stéphanie did not allow her daughter's name to be pronounced in her presence.
She was very young and still somewhat immature when she became a mother. Although she loved Erzsi I doubt she was a very attentive parent. Neither was her sister Louise who took no interest whatsoever in her 2 children. This seems a bit strange to me. One would have imagined that the 2 sisters who received so little love & affection from their parents, and so obviously suffered from it, would have acted the reverse with their own children. Clémentine, on the contrary, was a loving & caring mother to Louis & Marie Clotilde.

As for the princesses and their own mother - why, there is no denying that Marie Henriette was cold & distant. I think it is Stéphanie who enjoyed the best relationship with the Queen. Clémentine's relationship with her was stormy. As for Louise, her inconsequences and follies drove her mother mad. Marie Henriette spent her time directing and rebuking her eldest in the numerous letters she sent her.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2006, 05:04:15 AM »
I think Stephanie was by nature a cold and selfish woman who radiated little warmth. However as I have said, she wasn't loved much by her parents, siblings and husband. How anyone expect can expect her to be otherwise ? I think she was lucky to have a good second marriage, and Queen Victoria was very supportive of her and (despite the ramblings of King Leopold II) counted her as part of her family.

Offline Guinastasia

• Boyar
  • Celestial Grand Duchess of Penguins
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2006, 12:30:53 PM »
This seems a bit strange to me. One would have imagined that the 2 sisters who received so little love & affection from their parents, and so obviously suffered from it, would have acted the reverse with their own children.

Not necessarily.  A lot of people tend to repeat the same negative pattern with their own kids.  Even if they acknowledge that their parents were wrong, they still make the same mistakes.

Granted, not ALL of them, but some of them do.  It's especially true of abusive families-kids who were abused often grow up to abuse their own kids, the same way they were.  It's so sad.

Perhaps if Stephanie's marriage had been happy, things would have been different between her and her daughter.
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2006, 08:37:06 PM »
Yes, I agree with Agneschen that Clementine had a fuller face. Stephanie's is a bit more narrow, and that gave her a less relaxed look. However I agree that sisters sometimes do look alike. I am having fun with my research comparing photos of other royal sisters. I just found out that Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall (Prince's Charles wife) resembled a lot like Charles Aunt, Princess Sofie of Hanover (Prince Philip's youngest sister)...Talking about coincidences... ::)

Agneschen

« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2006, 08:12:31 AM »
The 3 girls (Louise, Stéphanie and Clémentine) resembled each other. They all had their father's long nose and small eyes. Louise and Stéphanie were blond like Queen MH while Clémentine inherited King Léopold's dark colouring.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 11:03:42 PM by Svetabel »

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2006, 08:42:14 AM »
I think Louise had the most interesting personality of all the three girls.  ;)

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2006, 02:28:50 PM »
I think Louise had the most interesting personality of all the three girls.  ;)

And the most uninteresting features. :(

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2006, 09:07:33 PM »
True ! she was the one that rebelled for love and freedom. The others just meekly followed the route of non confrontal. It was lucky for Clementine that his father died early enough for her to have children. Otherwise, she would have to wait longer, even run the risk of being an old maid.  ::)

Offline Sissi

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2006, 03:08:56 PM »
Stephanie:

Offline lababoc

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2006, 09:07:33 AM »
AGNESCHEN  why do you think LEOPOLD ll was a political genius.?..cannot see this  man as a genius....at all...thank you

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2006, 12:45:03 PM »
A dark genius maybe ? ???

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Sophie Charlotte (1847-1897)
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2006, 04:20:44 AM »
Dear members,

at the moment I am reading Ich sollte Kaiserin werden, a book written by Stéphanie Princess of Belgium (wife of Crownprince Rudolf of Austria, etc.).
Stéphanie wrote a lot about her youngest sister Clémentine. In her opinion Clémentine was the most beautiful little girl with wonderful blonde curls. So I would love to see a photograph of Clémentine as a child.

Thanks in advance.
Ich aber breite trauernd aus
die weiten weissen Schwingen,
Und kehr' ins Feenreich nach Haus -
Nichts soll mich wieder bringen.

Elisabeth