Author Topic: To Be a Princess  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Shvibzik

• Graf
  • Bling it on
    • View Profile
To Be a Princess
« on: November 02, 2005, 04:40:34 PM »
Hi everyone. :)

The other day I saw this book "To Be a Princess" and when I flipped through it and noticed the GDs.  I bought it but when I started to read their pages, I was a bit disapointed.

First of all, the 1912 or 13 (I'm terrible with dates :-[) formal photo of the girls (l-r: Maria (standing), Tatiana (sitting), Anastasia (standing), and Olga (standing).)  is painted.  Not that that is a bad thing, but kind of strange.  

But the text itself was pretty basic.  The classical Romanov story and the classic ending (Alexandra and Olga crossing themselves but being shot down, that sort of stuff).  

I would recomend it for those just getting to know (or don't know at all) the Romanov "story".  It is in more detail than you are used to finding, although there are some errors (such as the spelling of "Shvibzik" it's "Schwibsik" and that the men that killed them had revolvers, which I don't think is true :-/.)  But overall, it covers the basics in good enough detail. ;)

BTW, it also features Mary I, Elizabeth I, Marie Antoinette, Victoria, Ka'iulani, Gayatri "Ayesha" Devi, and Elizabeth and Margaret.  It's by Hugh Brewster and Laurie Coulter.  Illustrated by Laurie McGaw.

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
Re: To Be a Princess
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 09:18:56 PM »
The pictures you're referring to are from 1913. ;) As a children's book, and one composed of many royal princesses, it can generally be expected that there wouldn't be too much written about the Grand Duchesses. Also, as expected, there will be mistakes. Many elementary books on the Romanovs have factual errors.

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 10:59:07 PM »
The painting is based on one of the 1914 portraits of all four girls together. Not 1913.

IMO the book was cute...nothing too interesting.

Offline aussiechick12

• Graf
  • .Darling Diana.
    • View Profile
    • Tatiana Romanova
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 03:53:12 AM »
Glad you told me because I really want to buy something from Amazon with the Christmas money I recieved and that was one of the books I had thought about. I don't want some short overview of their lives though so . . . thanks again!

"Cameo like profile . . . a lovely rose maiden and as pure as flower" - Lili Dehn on Tatiana.
www.tatianaromanova.piczo.com