Author Topic: Balcony Pictures  (Read 88414 times)

Offline darius

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Balcony Pictures
« on: November 04, 2005, 07:27:50 AM »
While on a nother thread we were discussing the presence of Queen Alexandra, Empress Marie, George & Mary with the Duke and Duchess of York on the BP Balcony after the wedding.
I thought it might be an interesting thread to start here showing interesting appearances on this most well known balcony. I don´t know if it existed during Victoria´s reign. If it did are there any early images of her on it?

Offline etonexile

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Balcony Pictures
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 09:25:14 AM »
Isn't it the chinese luncheon room from which they enter the balcony...?

Offline CHRISinUSA

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 12:21:20 PM »
No, it's the Center Room from which they enter the balcony.  

The East Wing of Buckingham Palace consists of a very wide, grand gallery known as the Principal Corridor, which faces the quadrangle.  All 7 principal rooms in that wing open off the Corridor and face the Mall.  At the north end is the Chinese Dining Room, at the south end is the Yellow Drawing Room, and in the center is the Center Room.  I don't know what the other 4 rooms are used for - perhaps guest bedrooms?

Offline jfkhaos

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 01:24:27 PM »
If I recall, these other rooms are the Blue and Yellow guest suites.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 02:10:34 PM »
I don´t know if it existed during Victoria´s reign. If it did are there any early images of her on it?

I have a picture (I'll have to dig it out) showing some members of the royal family on the balcony following GV & QM's wedding. This was the first time that they appeared in relation to a wedding (maybe overall, I don't know) and because it was spontaneous no camera man caught it!  :(  QV was there with the bridal couple and assorted relatives--including Nicky! They were better prepared for when the couple left BP and that's where they got the photo. I forget who is on the balcony then.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by grandduchessella »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 10:28:07 PM »
Still looking. I think I'm going to have to drag the issue out again.  :P

Princess Margaret held aloft by GV at the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Kent

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 11:05:50 AM »

A vast crowd assembled in front of Buckingham Palace, London, on VE Day, May 8, 1945, cheers the Royal Family as they come out on the balcony, centre, minutes after the official announcement of Germany's unconditional surrender. From left are: Princess Elizabeth; Queen Elizabeth; King George VI; and Princess Margaret. (AP Photo/Leslie Priest)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 11:09:51 AM »

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II and her husband Prince Philip wave from the balcony of London's Buckingham Palace following their wedding at Westminster Abbey on November 20, 1947. (AP Photo/PA)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005, 11:20:45 AM »

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, center, in red, and Prince Philip, with members of the Royal Family watch the Jubilee flypast from the balcony of Buckingham Palace, in London Tuesday, June 4, 2002. (AP Photo/Stefan Rousseau/Pool)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2005, 11:23:56 AM »

Britain's Duchess of York, second from right, joins other members of the royal family on the balcony of Buckingham Palace in London, England, in 1935. The other members are, from left, The Duke of York, The Princess Royal, King George V, Gerald Lascelles, and behind him Lord Harewood, Princess Elizabeth, Queen Mary, The Duchess of Kent, The Duke of Kent, Lord Lascelles, partly hidden, The Duchess of York, and Princess Louise. (AP Photo)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2005, 11:31:59 AM »

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, second from left, the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip, second from right, Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, right, and Sophie, Countess of Wessex, on the balcony at Buckingham Palace during Trooping the Colour, in London, Saturday, June 12, 2004, to mark the Queen's official birthday. (AP Photo/John D McHugh)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2005, 11:41:34 AM »

Prince Charles kisses the hand of his bride Princess Diana on the balcony of Buckingham Palace on their wedding day in London, England, July 29, 1981. (AP Photo/PA)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2005, 11:42:18 AM »

Britain's Prince Charles kisses his bride, the former Diana Spencer, on the balcony of Buckingham Palace in London, after their wedding on July 29, 1981. (AP Photo)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2005, 11:43:59 AM »

THE QUEEN, PRINCE PHILIP, PRINCESS DIANA AND PRINCE CHARLES ON THE BALCONY AT BUCKINGHAM PALACE WATCHING TROOPING THE COLOUR. PRINCESS DIANA WITH PREGNANT WITH PRINCE WILLIAM.PRINCESS ALEXANDRA IN THE BACKGROUND (AP Photo/Tim Graham Picture Library) 06/12/1982
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2005, 11:44:34 AM »

Members of the British Royal Family watching the flypast from the balcony at Buckingham Palace during the Trooping the Colour ceremony. (AP Photo/Tim Graham Picture Library) 06/11/1983
I, Claudius