Author Topic: Pet names  (Read 3806 times)

alixaannencova

Pet names
« on: August 16, 2008, 09:07:38 PM »
I know about the 'Lilibet' thread, but this is about the extended RF and who may be known by which pet names amongst their number

Needless to say the Lilibet thread was very useful, but do the Duchesses of Gloucester and Kent call her Lilibet and what about Camilla, Tim and Sophie? I mention the latter as it is apparent Diana addressed Prince Philip as Pa, at least in writing that is. Perhaps Camilla, Tim and Sophie call their in laws Ma and Pa or Mama and Pa! Sounds a bit funny to me.....I know no one who calls their in laws, Mum/Mummy/Ma/Mama etc or Dad/Daddy/Pa/Pop etc! But then again I do not know any member of the RF personally for that matter!

Here are a few I am wondering about. Some have possibles that I have heard about but may be totally scurrilous -

Prince Philip - I often wonder if he would tolerate being addressed by a pet name except perhaps from his wife that is!
Princess Margaret - Margot
The Earl of Wessex - Eddie
Prince William of Gloucester - Bill or Billy
The present Duke of Gloucester - Dickon
The present Duke and Duchess of Kent - Eddie and Kate
Princess Alexandra - Alex
Princess Michael - Our Val (though no doubt never to her face) and 'MC'

With regards to the Queen Mother, I know 'Cookie' was never a pet name used affectionately within the family, but has been adopted by some our number in an affectionate way, but was HM known by any other name other than Elizabeth, within the immediate family. Perhaps she never had a nickname, hence the evolution of Lilibet, to differentiate between two Elizabeths. This is merely a guess.

Any clarifications would be hugely appreciated!

alixaannencova

Re: Pet names
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 12:44:32 AM »
Surely we all know how close with Dickon or do we?I find it rather tiresome that Alice and Harry suddenly (during the second world war) 'felt' their mutual Plantagenet past but chose not to celebrate their Stuart one!....ho hum...! I mean really, haven't we moved on from all this rubbish about survival of the fittest? Never mind, that is for another thread....please indulge a boshie old snipe ! But really, William 'and' Richard in ones' litters so to speak.....how many can one count back three hundred or more who shared those names! It all reeks of Agincourt and Larry Olivier to me! Anyway,such notes are in retrospect, though it is is really lovely to think and believe for that matter,  that Harry G. had some belief in Richard III...enough at least to allow his own son to carry the title of Richard of Gloucester anyway!

Offline Terence

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 01:12:22 AM »
I think the late Duke was a sponsor the Richard III Society.  Not sure when he took that on, but I suspect he felt, as many of us do, that history was told by the victors.  Picking thru the historical weeds, so to speak, it's hard to find the truth back about 1483.  Looking at the slim evidence, I don't think Richard III had his nephews murdered.  And then Henry VII turned around and killed all kinds of folks, possible claimants, his people wrote the history that has been passed on.

Don't always buy what's being sold!

T

alixaannencova

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 01:38:58 AM »
Never occurred to me but Harry G.was the first Prince, and son/grandson of a monarch with that singular name since Henry of Gloucester, Charles I's youngest son! No analogy but t'is most interesting to me at least.

Before that, one has to go all the way back to James I's elder son than back again to Henry VIII (I chose not to include Henry, Lord Darnley as he was hardly worthy!!!!) I do not care to start or encourage a history lecture here, but to have two sons names William and Richard makes one wonder, had they had another, would he have been named Geoffrey?! I do not mean to be rude, but it is interesting to wonder why the Plantagenet names suddenly became acceptable within the RF again! I mean, can any one imagine QV tolerating the very idea of a Richard and a William in the English stance!

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 03:12:19 AM »
Richard, Duke of Gloucester is Patron of the Richard III Society.
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline tom_romanov

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 10:28:44 AM »
i belive Diana called Charles 'fish face' !

Offline CountessKate

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 07:25:36 AM »
Perhaps she never had a nickname, hence the evolution of Lilibet, to differentiate between two Elizabeths. This is merely a guess.

Princess Elizabeth called herself'Tilabet' which then morphed into 'Lilibet'.  It didn't arise from differentiating the two Elizabeths, but perhaps that's why it stuck.