Author Topic: Balcony Pictures  (Read 88413 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Balcony Pictures
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2005, 11:32:22 PM »
As an example of how to properly display a child when on a balcony?  :)
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline darius

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2005, 08:49:11 AM »

How time has changed: when Michael Jackson did the same with his son, the persons were not amused.  :P

And Queen Mary was showing a real Princess not a "prince michael III" to her people.

Offline KentKim

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2005, 09:19:51 AM »
Didn't they hang Margaret over the balcony to show her to the people since she wasn't seen offen, and people thought the family was hiding her away because there was something wrong with her?

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2005, 09:26:47 AM »
Well, once again, she wasn't over the balcony.

The crowds were vociferous and huge and perhaps Margaret herself wanted to see. She was only 5 so I don't know if she would've been able to see over the railing.

Margaret was seen quite frequently so there wasn't any reason to suspect there was something 'wrong' with her. The two princesses were actually quite popular subjects of magazines.

Offline CHRISinUSA

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2005, 09:41:41 AM »
Martin, did you get a chance to look up QM's circlet in the earlier photo?  Thanks!

Offline joye

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2006, 04:10:52 AM »
These photos of balcony appearances at Trooping the Colour are great.  Is there any chance of filling in the missing years please?
I am particularly looking for a photo of The Queen in the  uniform  of The Irish Guards, light blue plume in hat, to be helpful, also shamrock on collar, and buttons in 2 sets of 4.
Help!!
Please.
Signed   HRH
YaBB 1G-SP1!

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2006, 06:10:28 AM »

Britain's Duchess of York, second from right, joins other members of the royal family on the balcony of Buckingham Palace in London, England, in 1935. The other members are, from left, The Duke of York, The Princess Royal, King George V, Gerald Lascelles, and behind him Lord Harewood, Princess Elizabeth, Queen Mary, The Duchess of Kent, The Duke of Kent, Lord Lascelles, partly hidden, The Duchess of York, and Princess Louise. (AP Photo)

Could this be one of the only photos where we can clearly see one of QV's children? or is it a different Princess Louise?  :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Eddieboy_uk »
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2006, 07:56:02 AM »
The shape of the face looks pointy. I would almost say it was Princess Victoria 'Toria' rather than the Duchess of Argyll. The Duchess of Fife had died in 1931.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2006, 02:15:12 PM »
Yes probably! Thanks GD Ella  ;)
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline KatieAnn

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2006, 08:58:49 AM »
Didn't they hang Margaret over the balcony to show her to the people since she wasn't seen offen, and people thought the family was hiding her away because there was something wrong with her?

This was Princess Victoria - daughter of Victoria and Albert.  Queen Victoria had a habit of removing Vicky from social gatherings lest she be "spoiled" by being exposed to many people.  The Queen's eagerness to protect her child backfired when reports started to appear in newspapers of the day saying that the Princess was deformed.  After that, Victoria learned her lesson and Vicky (and subsequent children) were seen more frequently at social gatherings.
Kathleen

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2006, 03:53:12 PM »
There was a rumour about Princess Margaret also, in the early 1930's, that something was wrong with her.

That is probably why George V held her up on the balcony of Buckingham Palace to be seen by all.  Queen Mary is hovering close by, looking a little concerned by the proceedings, although the situation never quite got to the one concerning a certain eccentric pop star!  ;D

I think the picture is in one of the threads about Margaret.  :)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2006, 04:31:54 PM »
No, I posted the photo on the first page of this very thread.  :)

Offline KatieAnn

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2006, 03:58:19 PM »
There was a rumour about Princess Margaret also, in the early 1930's, that something was wrong with her.

That is probably why George V held her up on the balcony of Buckingham Palace to be seen by all.  Queen Mary is hovering close by, looking a little concerned by the proceedings, although the situation never quite got to the one concerning a certain eccentric pop star!  ;D

I think the picture is in one of the threads about Margaret.  :)

Thanks for that reminder Grace!  I knew when I posted the bit about Princess Vicky there was something about Margaret lurking somewhere in the dark recesses.

Incidentally, whizzing back to almost the beginning of this thread with George & May's wedding appearance, I remember reading that protocol demanded Victoria leave the church first after the ceremony, so she got back to the Palace first and took a solo bow to the assembled throng before the Bride and Groom's arrival.  Now I'll spend all night trying to remember where I read it!
Kathleen

Offline KatieAnn

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2006, 04:02:01 PM »

QUEEN, QUEEN MOTHER AND PRINCESS MARGARET ON BALCONY AT BUCKINGHAM PALACE. (AP Photo/Tim Graham Picture Library) 05/08/1995

Ok, what bright spark decreed the Windsor Gals should be dressed up like a set of traffic lights?  Red=Stop, Yellow=Wait, Green=Go.  Still, it's a nice photo - they all look pretty happy.
Kathleen

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2006, 08:42:20 PM »

Marina, Duchess of Kent; Mary, Princess Royal; Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother; Princess Margaret