Author Topic: The children of Henri II and Catherine de Medici  (Read 48981 times)

Offline Felipe II

• QVOD IN CELIS SOL HOC IN TERRA CAESAR EST.
    • View Profile
The children of Henri II and Catherine de Medici
« on: November 13, 2005, 09:29:55 AM »
The sons of Henri II (1519-1559, king 1547), François II (1544-1560, king 1559), Charles IX (1550-1574, king 1560) and Henri III (1551-1589, king 1574) were tragical figures.

François II - The king who had syphilis
Born 19 Jan 1544 Fontainebleau
Died 5 Dec 1560 Orléans
King of Scotland 1558-1560
King of France 1559-1560

He was a child when he became king after the death of his father. He was married to Mary, Queen of Scots, in 1558 and died in 1560.

Charles IX - The king who wanted to hunt
Born 27 Jun 1550 St Germain-en-Laye
Died 30 May 1574 Vincennes
King of France 1560-1574

He didn't reign in fact, his mother Catherine did. Under his reign there was the Bartholomew Night (19 Aug 1572). He was probably a homosexual and died because of pneumonia in 1574 aged 23.

Henri III - The king who was murdered
Born 19 Sept 1551 Fontainebleau
Died 2 Aug 1589 St Cloud
King of Poland 1573-1574/89
King of France 1574-1589

The last Valois was an erratic gay. He was his mother's darling and had many affairs with men. In 1589 he was stabed to death by a monk.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Emperor_Nikolai_I »
PHILIPPVS SECVNDVS D: G: HISP: ET IND: REX CATH:

Offline elena_maria_vidal

• Knyaz
  • Fortis et fides
    • View Profile
    • Elena Maria Vidal
Re: The children of Henri II and Catherine de Medici
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 12:41:50 PM »
 I did not know Francois II had syphilus.  :-/ I knew he was ill. Who did he get it from? Do they even know? I never knew he had a mistress....Very sad.

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 01:16:43 PM »
Did Francois have syphillis ??? He had an ear infection, which I think spread to the mastoid bone (below the ear) and also to the brain causing a lethal abcess. The poor lad died in agony.
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline Alexios

• Long live the Emperor! God save the Queen!
    • View Profile
    • Rollenspiel-Mittelalter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 01:27:00 PM »
Did Francois have syphillis ??? He had an ear infection, which I think spread to the mastoid bone (below the ear) and also to the brain causing a lethal abcess. The poor lad died in agony.

Yes, that's what I believe too...an ear infection.
I think I read once that the Huguenots commented on this that Henry II didn't want to see the true Christian belief and his son didn't want to hear it...
Actually you ought to say that François II and Charles IX were only kings in name, their mother was the effective ruler, even though at least Charles IX would have been old enough to rule himself, but Catherine easily dominated him. Under Henry III her influence diminished, even though Henry wasn't a strong king.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Alexios »

Offline Felipe II

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 01:51:20 PM »
There is the story that he had an ear infection and the other that he had syphilis:

"Franz war völlig degeneriert und unselbständig und starb an ererbter Syphilis." ("François was completely degenerated and dependent and died of inherited syphilis.") (see here: http://www.mittelalter-genealogie.de/mittelalter/koenige/frankreich/franz_2_koenig_von_frankreich_+_1560.html)

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I am he, who will bell the cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 01:56:19 PM »
Yes, that's what I believe too...an ear infection.
I think I read once that the Huguenots commented on this that Henry II didn't want to see the true Christian belief and his son didn't want to hear it...
Actually you ought to say that François II and Charles IX were only kings in name, their mother was the effective ruler, even though at least Charles IX would have been old enough to rule himself, but Catherine easily dominated him. Und Henry III her influence diminished, even though Henry wasn't a strong king.

Oh, where to begin.

Francois II didn't have syphilis, he died of an ear infection. Catherine de' Medici had no influence during his reign. He was influenced by the family of his wife  (the Guises).

Charles IX wasn't homosexual. He was dominated by Catherine de' Medicis, though he often quarreled with her as he grew older. He died of Tuberculosis.

Henri III probably was homosexual. He was Catherine's favourite son. He gave up the throne of Poland when he became King of France (i.e. he was not King of Poland until 1589).

Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after tomorrow. (Mark Twain)

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2005, 01:56:46 PM »
Oh sorry Emperor, I don't read or speak German :)

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 01:59:14 PM »
Thanks Bell, if these boys "inherited " anything,it was chronic respiratory problems.

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 02:03:35 PM »
Maybe, but the real King of Poland was Stefan Bathory (1575-1586).

Yes Kimberly, Hercule also died of TB!
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after tomorrow. (Mark Twain)

Offline Felipe II

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 02:05:59 PM »
Maybe, but the real King of Poland was Stefan Bathory (1575-1586).

Yes Kimberly, Hercule also died of TB!

Yes, you're completely right, but I only wanted to say that he styled himself king of Poland.
:)

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2005, 02:35:55 PM »
Yes, you're completely right, but I only wanted to say that he styled himself king of Poland.
 :)

I didn't know that he continued to use the title, but it was typical of the man !!
:D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by bell_the_cat »

Offline Alexios

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2005, 03:29:57 PM »
Catherine de' Medici had no influence during his reign. He was influenced by the family of his wife  (the Guises).

Well, that might be true, although it was a short period anyway.
"His mother Catherine de Medici was appointed Regent, but it is considered that Mary's uncles François de Guise and Charles de Guise may actually have been the ones to hold the power in that period." (Quote, wikipedia).
But why do you simply say she had no influence?

Charles IX wasn't homosexual.

What makes you so sure? Did you have a camera installed in his bed-chamber? Perhaps one should be careful and say: He probably wasn't.

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2005, 03:37:03 PM »
Well, that might be true, although it was a short period anyway.
"His mother Catherine de Medici was appointed Regent, but it is considered that Mary's uncles François de Guise and Charles de Guise may actually have been the ones to hold the power in that period." (Quote, wikipedia).
But why do you simply say she had no influence?

What makes you so sure? Did you have a camera installed in his bed-chamber? Perhaps one should be careful and say: He probably wasn't.

Catherine  wasn't appointed regent until after the death of Francis II. Whatever influence she had was the result of her intrigues.

Charles IX was probably not predominantly homosexual, unlike his brother Henri III  ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by bell_the_cat »

Offline Alexios

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2005, 03:44:58 PM »
Catherine  wasn't appointed regent until after the death of Francis II. Whatever influence she had was the result of her intrigues.

Yes, actually I believe she was offically regent 1560-1563 (I was a little astonished to read this in wiki...), since Franics II already was too old for an official regent.

Offline umigon

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • My Family Tree
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2005, 04:58:46 AM »

I'm delighted, a new thread about this interesting figures!!!

Well, François died from an ear infection. But yes, some historians think that he had congenital syphillis. This theory has also been used to expalin Edward VI's death. Could be true, but it could also be wrong...  We must remember that in those times they already knew the symptoms and consequences of syphillis and not all of the symptoms we know about François II have to nbe necesarilly produced by syphillis. But yes, François was the king, so why should a doctor say publicly that he was sick with syphillis??

About Charles being a homosexual, its not the first time I've heard it. Well, we know that Charles had sexual intercourse with both his wife and his favourite mistress, Marie Touchet. He also had other mistresses and he very probably had an affair with his sister Margot. As Bell said, he was not predominantly homosexual, as was Sandrin, but I wouldn't deny completely that he sometime had a homosexual affair. Remember that the last Valois's Court was full of sex and parties, maybe he just wanted to taste new things... who knows?
Gonzalo Velasco Berenguer

My Family Tree: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=umigon

Royal Families: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=gondan