Author Topic: Romanov Fortunes and Annuities  (Read 37328 times)

Offline AkshayChavan

• Boyar
  • Prince Chavanoff - Bombayskii
    • View Profile
Romanov Fortunes and Annuities
« on: November 16, 2005, 01:41:52 PM »
Apart from the Tsar who was the richest man in russia, who was the richest member of the romanov family? Was it grand duke vladimir or some other grand duke?

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
Re: Romanov Fortunes and Annuities
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 03:55:04 PM »
I'm guessing Grand Duke Vladimir.

Offline Mandie, the Gothic Empress

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Olga.Tatiana.Maria.Anastasia + Alexei
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 06:47:47 PM »
Grand Dukes Vladimir and Sergei.

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I am he, who will bell the cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 06:16:27 AM »
GD Konstantine "KR" had the biggest palace didn't he?
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after tomorrow. (Mark Twain)

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 11:03:58 AM »
Pavlovsk and Strelna were in possesion of Konstantinovichi,but I also think Grand Duke Vladimir was the richest...

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 05:03:20 PM »
I'd go with Vladimir too--he certainly lived as if he were the richest. Serge was apparently quite flush in the pocket as well as Ella apparently was drowning in jewels--not that any photos (apart from some very familiar ones in court dress) every seem to emerge.  :(
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 04:08:43 AM »
All Grand Dukes were very rich. It's difficult to say who was the richest.If we speak about the sons and grandsons of the Emperors, not about the great-grandsons (such as children of GD KR).

Linnea

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 06:45:24 AM »
(...) not about the great-grandsons (such as children of GD KR).

Were they "poor"? ;)

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 07:22:02 AM »

Were they "poor"? ;)

;D I can't imagine such like that!
In fact the fortunes of great-grandchildren of the Tzars were not so large as of the Grand Dukes. It seems I read in some book (Russian) the exact figures of their fortunes. I'll check up!

Offline Caleb

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 03:00:10 PM »
I don't know about you, but when it  when it comes to wealth & royal spending, I think Alexander III, as well as Nicholas & Alexandra were modest compared to their immense wealth & some of their ancestors, I'm assuming that either Peter the Great or Catherine the Great, were the most extravageant of Romanov rulers. From what I read, Prince Yussupov was one of the wealthiest men in Russia, is this true?

Offline AkshayChavan

• Boyar
  • Prince Chavanoff - Bombayskii
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 03:53:03 PM »
did grand dukes vladimir and sergie own businesses and investments like yusupovs and stroganovs , or their income was from land alone?

Offline Shvibzik

• Graf
  • Bling it on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 05:26:57 PM »
From what I read, Prince Yussupov was one of the wealthiest men in Russia, is this true?

Yes, he was.  Massie says, "...Prince Felix Yussoupov was the sole heir to the largest fortune in Russia...the size of the Yussoupov fortune was estimated fifty years ago at $350 million to $500 million.  What the same possessions would be worth today, no one can guess."

Of course, the Yussoupovs were not directly related to the Tsar, like GD Vladimir and Serge were.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Shvibzik »

james_h

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005, 05:40:26 PM »

The yusupov fortune was $500 Million $350 Million was the value of their land holdings.  :)

james_h

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005, 05:54:58 PM »

I cannot see it being Vladimir, He undoubtably had the largest income of the Grand Dukes but with the way he and his wife spent money, I cannot see them having accumulating much at all.  Probably Sergei.

David_Pritchard

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2005, 05:59:08 PM »
I don't know about you, but when it  when it comes to wealth & royal spending, I think Alexander III, as well as Nicholas & Alexandra were modest compared to their immense wealth & some of their ancestors, I'm assuming that either Peter the Great or Catherine the Great, were the most extravageant of Romanov rulers. From what I read, Prince Yussupov was one of the wealthiest men in Russia, is this true?

One must not forget that Empress Elisaveta, daughter of Peter the Great, was very free with her gold rubles when it came to jewelry, costumes and extravagant parties and balls. Catherine the Great spent likewise but had the added expense of her art collecting as well as tremendous gifts of gold, estates and serfs to her favourites. Peter the Great was a great spender but the money went to building the navy, building fortresses, building Saint Petersburg, equiping the army and other state infrastructure projects, rather than spending the wealth of the empire on himself.

David