Author Topic: almost died of measles  (Read 29757 times)

Offline Nastya

• Boyar
  • Your Own Loving Girl, Tatiana
    • View Profile
almost died of measles
« on: November 17, 2005, 06:58:01 PM »
i heard somewhere (i dont remember where) that marie was the one closest to death of the girls while they had the measles in 1917. is it true?

Offline Olga_Anna

• Knyaz
  • ~Looking for stars, Listening for angels~
    • View Profile
Re: almost died of measles
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 08:09:39 PM »
I heard that somewhere too.

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 08:25:31 PM »
Maria had double pneumonia on top of the measles.  So yeah, she was pretty sick.  She was given oxygen so I assume she had trouble breathing.  Olga developed some nasty complications too.

Offline Russian_Duchess_#5

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 08:56:10 PM »
Woah, Lanie. How much do you know?? Were you like there??
::) ;)
Poor Marie, she was such an angel.

Sofi :)

Offline isabel

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 02:51:40 AM »
The first days of the Revolution, Maria went out with her mother to encouraged the soldiers, who, in the garden of AP where prepared to stop the revolutionarys coming from St.Petersburg.

It was very could, and yes, Marie contracted measles.

During her illness, the Duma tried to move the IF out of the country. Marie had a so high fever that IF decided to pospose the departure.

When Marie was retablished it was too late ......, the Duma was not so powerfull, and the provisional Governement decided to transfer all the Family to Tobolsk.

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 09:53:43 AM »
Maria had double pneumonia on top of the measles.  So yeah, she was pretty sick.  She was given oxygen so I assume she had trouble breathing.  Olga developed some nasty complications too.

Lanie, you are so smart!  :D I hope when I get your age I will be able to date pictures and answer questions like you!  :)
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

Offline snugglemummy

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 11:46:19 PM »
Maria did almost die. While sick, she had terrible nightmares about soldiers coming to kill her mother. I recall reading in one biography that the doctors did not expect her to make it through the night and wanted the lady-in-waiting/friend present (Lilli, I think) to inform Alexandra so she could prepare herself for her daughter's death. But she refused, she said Alexandra was stressed out enough, and knew how serious her daughter's illness was already. And then Maria pulled through.

Its funny, this is a significant moment in the life of the IF because if the children, and Maria especially, hadn't been so very sick, they probably would have been moved in those early days to safety and then out of the country - but you almost never read about how perilously ill Maria actually was.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 10:22:06 AM »
Yes, you think of her being so healthy and strong and not lilkely to fall so ill with a common childhood illness in her late teens. She did not get it until after the other children got it, so this also made it seem like she was strong and healthy which she was. But Alexander III, her grand father whose constitution she inheirited was also strong, but died at 49 of nephritis, so a strong constitution does not always equal long life. And then there was that operation for her tonsils that made her bleed so much, and that could be another indication of a strong constitution but that she was violently ill when she was ill, although she was ill rarely. This was a rather crucial point in the lives of Nicholas and Alexandra's children.

Offline Elisabeth

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 11:40:02 AM »
Measles is a much more serious disease in adults than in children. The latter usually survive the illness, whereas measles can be deadly in adults. That is why I am surprised Alexandra deliberately allowed her eldest children, Olga, Tatiana, and Maria (who was already 19), to be exposed to measles: she writes about doing so in a letter to Nicholas at the front, "better they should have it all at the same time" (or words to that effect). Perhaps even doctors simply didn't know, in the early twentieth century, that measles, a more or less harmless childhood disease, could be lethal to adults. But I still think it's odd that Alexandra should have been so eager to have all her children exposed to measles at such a moment in the nation's history - demonstrations were already breaking out in Petrograd, didn't she have even the slightest clue that revolution might be in the offing? Had she really grown so complacent?
... I love my poor earth
because I have seen no other

-- Osip Mandelshtam

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 10:19:58 AM »
Yes, no doubt the fact that she got it at 19 was one reason why it was so severe for her, and also for her sisters. I guess I hadn't thought of that. Perhaps Alexandra might have wanted her daughters to get it, and thus have it over, because if they had gotten it when they were even older, it could have been more lethal. Perhaps this was her reasoning, which makes sense. I wonder why they got it as in their late teens/ early twenties rather than  as children-was not it common to get it as children? Even today, you can read an article in a magazine  this fall about mothers who expose their children on purpose to chicken pox, rather than vacinate them, etc. They want them to get it over with, and are stubborn in this firm belief-perhaps Alexandra was the same.? ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by romanov_fan »

Offline Ivan Komarov

• Boyar
  • God save the Tsar!
    • View Profile
    • noodlz15's deviantArt
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2006, 09:30:14 PM »
Wow...you know, I was about to say that if the measles had've gotten her - as terrible a thought as that is - she would have been spared the imprisonment and subsequent executions...but I guess that if she hadn't had the measles at all, they all might've lived...

How tragic is that?
Just in case the fates are kind and you come back someday
I don't want to live without my little Anastasia
Anastasia, your disappearance is the thorn in my side
Anastasia, you know your absence is the thorn in my side

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 08:00:04 PM »
Wow...you know, I was about to say that if the measles had've gotten her - as terrible a thought as that is - she would have been spared the imprisonment and subsequent executions...but I guess that if she hadn't had the measles at all, they all might've lived...

How tragic is that?

I was thinking that too as I read this thread:( It's also so sad that all of those strong healthy young bodies- even Alexei- fought so hard to live, yet got cruelly slaughtered anyway :'( :'(

I had heard that Tatiana was the sickest, and I read somewhere that she was at one time temporarily deaf and they didn't know if she'd get her hearing back. The measles were allegedly brought to the palace by boys from a military school brought to play with Alexei, and once he was sick he then gave it to his sisters, and the ever present Anna Vyrobova.

Offline otma_duchess_3

• Olga the old Olga the young
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 05:34:50 PM »
omg the poor dears
land of the free home of the brave    

~some times you must learn to flow ..befor you can lead~

Offline Ivan Komarov

• Boyar
  • God save the Tsar!
    • View Profile
    • noodlz15's deviantArt
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 07:41:00 PM »
It's also so sad that all of those strong healthy young bodies- even Alexei- fought so hard to live, yet got cruelly slaughtered anyway :'( :'(

I had heard that Tatiana was the sickest, and I read somewhere that she was at one time temporarily deaf and they didn't know if she'd get her hearing back. The measles were allegedly brought to the palace by boys from a military school brought to play with Alexei, and once he was sick he then gave it to his sisters, and the ever present Anna Vyrobova.

Wow, put in that light, it's even more depressing.
Just in case the fates are kind and you come back someday
I don't want to live without my little Anastasia
Anastasia, your disappearance is the thorn in my side
Anastasia, you know your absence is the thorn in my side

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2006, 08:38:02 PM »
Sadly, measles can attack to ears or eyes....I know some people who got deaf suffering it.  :-/

RealAnastasia.