Author Topic: Does Maria resemble...?  (Read 25509 times)

Offline chintz22

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Does Maria resemble...?
« on: January 05, 2005, 08:31:38 PM »
Hi All,

The thread about casting Nicholas and Alexandra in 2005 made me think about who would play Maria.  Strangely enough, I thought Drew Barrymore might do if she dyed her hair (and was a bit younger!).  What do you think?

Best,

Sarah

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by chintz22 »

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Does Maria resemble...?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 10:04:00 PM »
I think so.

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
  • July 18th 2005: 87 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 10:10:38 PM »
I don't think there is any actress out there beautiful enough to play our Mashka! But that's just me and I am biased ;)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 11:48:54 PM »
Marie's my favorite as well but I think maybe Katie Holmes? She usually plays pretty fresh-faced.

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline lilavanderhorn

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 08:20:09 AM »
I don't think anyone is pretty enough to play Maria either.  Drew Barrymore might resemble her at certain angles, but that is as far as it goes.  The lower half of her face is all wrong.

Offline Michelle

• Knyaz
  • No more school forever!  Well,except college.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 11:30:14 PM »
Hmmmm.  Drew Barrymore, definitely not.  Apart from the fact I don't think she looks like Maria very much at all, I don't even like the woman.  And I'd want a Maria I could like.  And Katie Holmes looks way too sexy to be Maria.  I think the more innocent girl next door yet beautiful look of Maria could best be portrayed by Anne Hathaway.  I've mentioned this many times in the "Remake of N and A" thread.

Offline Malenkaya

• Boyar
  • I Am Anastasia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 11:59:58 PM »
Hmmmm.  Drew Barrymore, definitely not.  Apart from the fact I don't think she looks like Maria very much at all, I don't even like the woman.

I've met Drew Barrymore and she is a very sweet girl.  Genuine and cares about others.  I think personality wise, she would be a great Maria.  I'm not sure she looks the part, but that would be up for casting directors and costumers to decide if they could get it right.

ETA add:

I think the more innocent girl next door yet beautiful look of Maria could best be portrayed by Anne Hathaway.

But I do agree with this.  Annie would be great as a Grand Duchess.  Although with her tall and slim stature, I picture her more as a Tatiana.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Malenkaya »
*Anastasia*

Offline Michelle

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 12:09:13 AM »
Hmmmmm.......I think she'd be too naturally flirty and sweet to be Tatiana (not that Tatiana wasn't sweet, but that trait was more pronounced in Maria).  As for the figure thing, I could probably picture Anne as Maria like when Maria lost her weight in the later years.  Anne doesn't strike me as a Tatiana.  She's really not skinny enough or as stretched out looking as Tatiana was IMO.  Best suited for Maria.

Offline BattleAngel

• I plan to live forever--So far so good!
    • View Profile
    • The Color Guard
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2005, 01:15:23 AM »
Chintz I have to agree with you about Drew Barrymore.
I posted some time back that she would have made a GREAT Marie back when she was younger.
She was the only one in Hollywood who had that sweetness in her face.
Something about her mouth I think.

So here's one more vote for young Drew.
I also see the Katie Holmes choice as a good one, particularly since Drew is now a bit too old to play our angel girl.

If they could let Katie Holmes look like a natural girl and not like a "come hither" sexpot teen queen maybe she could pull it off.
Trouble is that the ideal now is for the "knowing" sort of girl when Maria was a product of a time when girls weren't supposed to "know" and if they did they kept the knowledge strictly to themselves! ;)

Offline RomanovFan

• Knyaz
  • THE BIG PAIR, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2005, 06:20:50 PM »
Mmm...Drew and Maria look sort of alike...I think it would be harder to find someone to play Tatiana that resembles her....Olga too.
~LESLIE~

ROMANOV FAN SINCE 1997

Offline Michelle

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2005, 08:20:30 PM »
Something about Keira Knightley reminds me of Olga.  And she seems like she could be a good one to play a young independent woman prone to melancholia, but not without strong passion.  She's probably also too sexy to be Olga, but I'm sure she could be made to look natural.  I think possibly the only GD who could get away with a sexy actress portraying her would be Tatiana because she had those unique exotic eyes that always remind me of a linx or something.  

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2005, 08:42:33 PM »
To me, Keira doesn't look like Olga at all. Olga was a blonde with blue eyes, Keira is a brunette with brown eyes. The shape of the face is completely different too... She may work better as Tatiana, but I am not so sure about that either...  

Keira:

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
  • July 18th 2005: 87 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2005, 10:03:19 PM »
I read lots of fashion magazines and I know the names of a bunch of models, and there is a Russian model named Valentina who I think would play a great Olga! (She probably can't act for her life, as we have seen in most models-turned-actresses, but she kind of looks like her!)

pics:
http://www.piira.net/belleville/valentinaz_bon18_4.jpg
http://www.piira.net/belleville/valentinaz_bon18_6.jpg

on the right:

it is harder to find women who look like the other 3 grand duchesses because they are so unique looking.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Abby »

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2005, 11:12:27 PM »

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2005, 08:04:32 AM »
Mandie can play Anastasia, she looks a lot like her!  ;)

http://hydrogen.pallasweb.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=board;action=display;num=1102908483;start=50

I second that notion! ^_^