Author Topic: The Court of the Last Tsar: Pomp, Power,Pageantry  (Read 51673 times)

Offline Ra-Ra-Rasputin

• Knyaz
  • Another Anastasia claimant; the ears match exactly
    • View Profile
Re: The Court of the Last Tsar: Pomp, Power,Pagean
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2006, 05:05:12 AM »
Ooooh excitement! :)

Sarushka, we're all going to be bombarding you with requests for reviews...you don't know what you're letting yourself in for!!! ;)

I just can't WAIT to get my own copy.  Just a couple of weeks before it should come into bookshops in England.  Fantastic!

Rachel
xx
'History teaches that history teaches us nothing' ~ Hegel

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2006, 08:31:32 AM »
Sarushka, we're all going to be bombarding you with requests for reviews...you don't know what you're letting yourself in for!!! ;)

I won't mind. Bring it on! (Well, don't bring it on until Monday afternoon or so...)
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Ra-Ra-Rasputin

• Knyaz
  • Another Anastasia claimant; the ears match exactly
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2006, 07:13:25 PM »
I won't mind. Bring it on! (Well, don't bring it on until Monday afternoon or so...)

I'll hold you to that! ;)

Rachel
xx
'History teaches that history teaches us nothing' ~ Hegel

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2006, 07:40:16 AM »
My book shipped yesterday and will arrive sometime this week as well. I'd be happy to provide a review of it as well for everyone, if anyone is interested in additional opinions.

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2006, 02:50:35 PM »
I am really excited!  My PP&P by Greg, just arrived via my postman.  I've only taken the time to look thru the pictures, etc. and will settle down for a long read tonight.  A lot of the pictures I've never seen before....especially ones like Jim Hercules!  (I've always wanted to know what he looked like)

I notice it is dedicated to Suzanne Meslans which is so appropriate because she and Robert Massie started me collecting books on the Romanov's with their unforgettable N&A. (I understand Suzanne and Greg are dear friends)

The DETAILS (my favorite word) in this book seem endless and I am really grateful that Greg took the 15 years to write it.  There are floorplans, and maps, and organizational charts for the IP that I just love.  Details about every day family life and prob everything I always wanted to know...I'll let you know if there are any questions left when I got done....559 pages, it will take a while.

I'm gushing I know, can't help it.  I haven't been this excited about a book in a long time.....now, I'm just waiting for Bob's to come out!

Thank you Felix for the Christmas gift....you are such a doll!!

Arleen

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2006, 03:08:56 PM »
Ooh, Arleen, you lucky thing! I expect mine tomorrow, but thanks for the sneak peak!  :-*
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2006, 04:28:51 PM »
You are so lucky Arleen! I hope you enjoy it! ;D Mine should come by Wednesday, but it feels like an eternity.

I'm gushing I know, can't help it.  I haven't been this excited about a book in a long time.....now, I'm just waiting for Bob's to come out

Does anyone actually know when this will be? I've heard mentions of his book every now and then, but does anyone know of an estimated or real release date?

Offline Pasha

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2006, 07:01:53 PM »
Just got mine today also. Gonna go sit down and read it right now. I am sure it will bring about quite a bit of discussion. ::)

Pasha

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2006, 01:31:12 PM »
Woo! Just got mine!

I, too, have now seen Jim Hercules.  8)

I'm not going to be able to say a whole lot until I actually READ the book. Its emphasis is clearly on text, more than photos.

For those who like specifics, here's what I can say so far...

There are some nice charts & maps at the back. An organization chart of the court, as well as an official list of court members as of 1914, for example. There are plans of the first floor of the Winter Palace, the private apartments of the Winter Palace, the main floor of the AP, and the first floor of the Grand Kremlin Palace. There are also three maps -- the Imperial Park at Tsarskoye Selo, the Imperial Park at Peterhof, and a 19th century map of St. Petersburg.

Black & white photos are scattered throughout, and there are 3 sections of color plates. I particularly appreciated the pictures of Alix's library in Livadia, a color view of Nicholas's 1903 masquerade costume, 2 interior photos of the Standart, the handful of new views of the coronation processions, and of course, Jim Hercules. The color photos are primarily exterior shots of various palaces, and interior shots of formal rooms. The B&Ws for the most part are formal portraits, ceremonial occasions, and some vintage interiors.

More later, when I've had time to do more than skim!

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2006, 04:38:56 PM »
I got mine today as well so I'll be spending the next few days reading it. It looks marvelous--crammed full of detail, just the way I like it.  ;) I know I won't be disappointed! I'll write more after I've actually read some of it.

Offline pers

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2006, 05:14:43 PM »
I just want to say how thankful I am for this discussion forum.  One is alerted to things that you would not have known of otherwise, such as this book.  I have Greg's book on Alexandra as well as FOTR, and this one is going to be a wonderful addition to my collection of books.  I just ordered the book! ;D

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2006, 06:17:06 PM »
Mailmen must be weary after today with all of the COURT OF THE LAST TSARS being delivered to our mail boxes or door if the package was to large to fit in yours like it was mine.

Have to go find the photo of Hercules  ;D........

AGRBear
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by AGRBear »
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2006, 06:34:10 PM »
Have to go find the photo of Hercules  ;D........

Page 128.  ;) And thanks to Koloagirl, I have some guava jelly to eat while I read up on Jim Hercules!

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2006, 06:37:08 PM »
Lord I LOVE all of the wonderful details of this book!!!  I can't linger here have got to get back to reading, I have not LOVED a book so much in a while!  Greg you are the best!

Arleen

Offline Scott

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2006, 11:50:22 PM »
FYI - These are now available in most bookstores.  I picked up a copy today at my local Barnes & Noble.