Author Topic: The Court of the Last Tsar: Pomp, Power,Pageantry  (Read 51675 times)

Offline Ra-Ra-Rasputin

• Knyaz
  • Another Anastasia claimant; the ears match exactly
    • View Profile
Re: The Court of the Last Tsar: Pomp, Power,Pagean
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2006, 05:48:20 AM »
I so want to see this book in the flesh before I buy it, but my local bookstore aren't getting any copies in until next month. :(

In the meantime, I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to answer for me. :)

1. Is the book just about Nicholas and Alexandra's palaces and daily life, or do they talk about the palaces/life of other royals, such as the Yussupovs, Xenia and Sandro, etc?

2. Is there information on costume?

3. Are the photos included rare?

Thanks! :)  You people are so lucky to have it already! Stupid England...

Rachel
xx

'History teaches that history teaches us nothing' ~ Hegel

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2006, 06:06:59 AM »
I so want to see this book in the flesh before I buy it, but my local bookstore aren't getting any copies in until next month. :(

In the meantime, I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to answer for me. :)

1. Is the book just about Nicholas and Alexandra's palaces and daily life, or do they talk about the palaces/life of other royals, such as the Yussupovs, Xenia and Sandro, etc?

2. Is there information on costume?

3. Are the photos included rare?

Thanks! :)  You people are so lucky to have it already! Stupid England...

Rachel
xx

I love England! London is awesome.  ;) There are plenty of books you guys get before us so it can't be all bad.....

1. From what I've seen and read so far, yes, it is mostly about Nicholas and Alexandra.

2. There is a section on fashion, another on imperial regalia, and one on imperial ceremonies.

3. I don't know about rare, but some of them I haven't seen, like the one of Jim Hercules and those from Nicholas' coronation. Many of them are views of the exterior and interior the palaces.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Ortino »

Offline Ra-Ra-Rasputin

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2006, 06:14:24 AM »
London is not so awesome when you live here, trust me! ;)

Thanks for the info, that's great. :)

Who is this Jim Hercules man? I think I'm missing something!

Rachel
xx

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2006, 07:31:41 AM »
Rachel- Jim Hercules was a black American servant of the IF. There is a thread on him somewhere.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Ra-Ra-Rasputin

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2006, 08:15:02 AM »
Well, I never!

I didn't know that there were Black servants in the Imperial family...fascinating.

Thanks guys! :)

Rachel
xx

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2006, 01:03:04 PM »
Some royal families even had black pigmies.  Archduchess Marie Valerie of Austria was even photographed with hers.

Sensitivities have changed in the last 125 years.

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2006, 04:12:07 PM »
I received my copy of Greg King's latest contribution to the wonderful world of royalty and Romanovphilia.  It looks very promising and I will certainly get into it as soon as I finish the book I am currently re-reading: Queen Mary, by James Pope-Hennessy.

Having visited St. Petersburg, Moscow, Yekaterinburg, Perm, Tobolsk and Alapaievsk last year...reading Romanov-related books has taken a new meaning!

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2006, 05:06:03 PM »
Well, I never!

I didn't know that there were Black servants in the Imperial family...fascinating.

Thanks guys! :)

Rachel
xx

Yes, they were usually doormen and wore special exotic uniforms of scarlet and gold. Here's an excerpt from Greg's book: "Abyssinian guards, black men who worked in pairs, stood at attention before the closed doors of the private apartments, waiting to admit the imperial couple....these men had formed a part of the Russian court since the days of Peter the Great and his successors continued the tradition. By the middle of the 19th century, they were recruited by the Russian Consul in Ethiopia or were presented as human gifts by the Ethiopian emperor. The only requirements were that the men be Christians and that they stand immensely tall, with imposing figures. But not all of these men were from Ethiopia. At least 2 Americans were in service of Nicholas II. One, named Sam, had come from the Riggs Plantation in Georgia....but the most famous of the men was Jim Hercules" (pg. 126).  

Offline Ra-Ra-Rasputin

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2006, 06:18:45 PM »
Thanks so much, Ortino. :)  You learn something new every day on this board!

I can't wait til this is available in the UK.  Even though I am sure it is fabulous, I still want to look through it before I buy it, as I have had some disappointments purchasing unseen from amazon before.

I just wish it would hurry up and be distributed here! I go into my local bookshop about twice a week in the hope that it will have arrived...I think the shop assistants think I'm slightly mad...

Rachel
xx

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2006, 06:40:26 PM »
Look at the picture on the cover. Was the one of Alix colored by Lanie? It looks like hers. In any case it looks nice on the front of a book.

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2006, 07:30:10 PM »
Look at the picture on the cover. Was the one of Alix colored by Lanie? It looks like hers. In any case it looks nice on the front of a book.

I actually wondered that myself when it came yesterday. Who did the coloring for Nicholas and Alexandra? The one of Nicholas is close to the image of him on the main AP page and Alexandra does look like Lanie's version of her. I wouldn't be surprised if they used the images from people who colored them here at the AP.

Hehe, you're not mad Ra Ra Rasputin. You're just passionate about the Romanovs! ;) I went slightly crazy myself this week waiting for the book--I checked the status of Amazon at least twice a day. Then, when it had finally shipped, I rushed home to go through the mail to see if it had arrived. I think we're all a little mad here.... ;D

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2006, 07:48:40 PM »
I went slightly crazy myself this week waiting for the book--I checked the status of Amazon at least twice a day.

ONLY twice a day?  ;D
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2006, 06:00:09 AM »
ONLY twice a day?  ;D

No, AT LEAST twice a day.  :P ;D

Offline pers

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2006, 09:19:52 AM »

There is actually a painting in colour of Alexandra in that Court dress and tiara at the Hillwood Museum in Washington DC. ;)