Author Topic: A Lifelong Passion: Nicholas and Alexandra  (Read 14633 times)

Offline tea_rose

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
A Lifelong Passion: Nicholas and Alexandra
« on: July 29, 2004, 08:26:33 AM »
   This is a great resource-all of the primary sources (letters, diaries, autobios) collected together. I bought the hardcover copy as soon as I saw it in the store with glee.  It is the first time that I was able to glean much first-hand information on lesser Romanovs like Grand Duke KR.

In the forward, the editors mentioned how much material they had to cut in order to make a manageable volume. All of the omissions sounded so interesting to me!  Are there any plans to publish some further material by these editors?  I really wish they would-I could read this type of thing ad infinitum!

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
Re: A Lifelong Passion: Nicholas and Alexandra
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 09:27:19 AM »
Me too! I have read bits of the Tsar's diary many places but never the whole thing. I'd love to, Alexandra's too. I heard that KR's diaries had been recently published. I don't know if there is a book in English or are they only talking about the excerpts in this book? The only one I know you can get in its entirety is Yussoupov's "Lost Splendor", the autobiography his parts were taken from.

Offline Alexa

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 04:59:39 PM »
This is one my most treasured Romanov books becuase of it being a primary source.  I almost felt guilty, like I was snooping, while reading it (it got me through many a commute to and from work).  I highly recommend this book; it's quite beautiful, and I hope another volume will come out...and soon!

Offline Dasha

• Knyaz
  • Love of a child is the greatest gift.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 07:58:47 PM »
A Lifelong Passion is a great primary source and it paints such a personal picture of the Family.  It is a treasure to own and read, and like others here, I too hope for another volume that contains the rest of the letters and diary entries.

Dasha
~Dasha~

'I'm meant to fly,
Sail unrestrained'.

"Woman" from "The Pirate Queen"

Teacher-in-Training
Blockhead for Life (Stephanie J Block is simply excellence)
Lover of (Almost) All Things Jane Austen
Broadway Addict
Anglophile
History Buff

Offline standart

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 12:28:20 AM »
I too have enjoyed this personal view of the Imperial  Family, especially the letters and diary entries of the Grand Duchesses. Have any of the GD's (especially Olga's) diaries been published? I have seen several excerpts mentioned in other threads.  

elisa_1872

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 12:03:15 PM »
  This is a great resource-all of the primary sources (letters, diaries, autobios) collected together. I bought the hardcover copy as soon as I saw it in the store with glee.  It is the first time that I was able to glean much first-hand information on lesser Romanovs like Grand Duke KR.

In the forward, the editors mentioned how much material they had to cut in order to make a manageable volume. All of the omissions sounded so interesting to me!  Are there any plans to publish some further material by these editors?  I really wish they would-I could read this type of thing ad infinitum!

Tea_rose!
I agree, "Lifelong Passion" is a simply magnificent book!!! I was re-reading the preface too recently, and just wondered what all the omitted information/letters/documents might have been.. Perhaps they could make this available.. Does anyone know if there might be any chance of this? Presumbably they still have all the original drafts.. And it would be too interesting!

rskkiya

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 05:31:16 PM »
I second that!
I would love to see some of the source materials.

lovy

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 11:34:05 PM »
i absolutely loved this and i'm really interested in n & a's love story and this has a lot of their letters to each other. what do you guys think of this book?

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 07:18:42 AM »
It's a very good book -- you can't go wrong with primary sources. The only thing to be aware of is that the editors have cut parts of the letters and diaries, without indicating where they've done it. They haven't really done anything unethical or sneaky (in the preface, they explain exactly why they made the cuts).

If you want full, uncut letters, have a look at The Complete Wartime Correspondence of Tsar Nicholas II and the Empress Alexandra. It includes all the letters between Nicky & Alix during WWI. The downside of this book, compared to Lifelong Passion, is that it only covers 1914-1917, and only includes letters (no diaries or anything else) of Nicky & Alix.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by sarahelizabethii »
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 10:33:48 AM »
I liked it, it is rather long, but it is their own words with no distortions, which is always great.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 10:39:22 AM »
but it is their own words with no distortions

Well, not exactly, as I said above...

Again: Not all of the letters & diary entries in Lifelong Passion are complete -- and you can't tell which ones have been nipped & tucked, so to speak, because the deletions aren't marked in any way.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by sarahelizabethii »
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 09:32:57 AM »
Still, a great book. The letters of QV to Vicky and Vicky's to Sophie are edited as well but a great source. I'd love to read the unedited letters but in some cases it would take dozens of volumes! In ALP, the ones I enjoy the most are KR's diary entries--not just on his own life but as a keen and rather objective (he didn't have an axe to grind against N&A for example) observer. I wish a book of HIS letters would be published.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 10:52:27 AM »
What I meant is it less distorted than a biography would be... ;) No book can completely avoid distorting historical figures...

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 06:00:20 PM »
This book can be useful for English readers, however its biggest flaw is that it truncates entries without informing the reader where this has occurred.

This IMHO creates an editorial distortion of the material published in English. One should be more concerned what exactly was discarded.

When comparing the original Russian text of the many diary entries etc., whole paragraphs have been omitted. Such an editorial exercise can cause problems for the unwary who need to rely solely upon the extracts provided.  

Use the book with caution.
 >:(

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 07:23:00 PM »
No book can completely avoid distorting historical figures...

Except perhaps for The Complete Wartime Correspondence!

Belochka -- I agree completely. You said it much more clearly than I.  :)