Author Topic: Terentii Chemodurov and Alexei Trupp  (Read 29530 times)

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
Terentii Chemodurov and Alexei Trupp
« on: December 07, 2005, 07:39:05 AM »
Was that his real name? It doesn't sound Russian. The only thing I've ever heard about him is that he was in the grave and about the same age and size as Nicholas and their skeletons became somehow intertwined. Does anyone know his whole name and details of his life?

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Re: Terentii Chemodurov and Alexei Trupp
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 08:24:12 PM »
I believe his name was Aleksei, but I can't remember his patronymic.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

David_Pritchard

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 12:24:50 AM »
His full name was Aleksei (Alois) Yegorovich Trupp and he served the Imperial Household as a footman in Tsarsko Selo, Tobolsk and Yekaterinburg. He was fifty-nine years old at the time of the Revolution and had previously been a colonel in the Imperial Army. I have also found his first name spelled as Alouzy which might be the most accurate form, a blend of the Russian Aleksei with the German Alois.

Excerpts pertaining to Krupp from a much longer document:

http://www.holy-trinity.org/feasts/nicholas.html

R E P O R T OF THE HOLY SYNOD COMMISSION ON THE CANONIZATION OF SAINTS WITH RESPECT TO THE MARTYRDOM OF THE ROYAL FAMILY

TO HIS HOLINESS ALEXEI THE SECOND, PATRIARCH OF MOSCOW AND ALL RUSSIA, AND TO THE HOLY SYNOD

>SNIP<

And what could be said of the unprecedented historical analogy, from the Orthodox point of view, of the decision of the Synod Abroad to include among those canonized with the Royal Family, the martyred czar's servant the Roman Catholic Alois Yegorovich Trupp and court-tutor the Lutheran Yekaterina Adol'fovna Schneider.

>SNIP<

in addition to those executed with the Royal Family, Dr. E. C. Botkin, the Empresses chambermaid A. S. Demidova, the court cook I. M. Kharitonov and the man-servant A. E. Trupp, the following met their fate in different places and at various times in 1918: Adjutant-General Tatischev, Royal marshal Prince V. A. Dolgorukov, the Heir's attendant K. G. Nagorny, the children's footman I. D. Snedov, the Empress' lady-in-waiting A. V. Gendrikova and court tutor K. A. Schneider. The Commission does not think it is possible at the present time to make a final judgment if there is a basis for the canonization of this group of laymen whose duty it was to accompany the Royal Family during the period of their confinement and who suffered violent death. The Commission does not have any evidence of broad prayerful veneration of these laymen as well as of miracles connected with them. Furthermore, there is at present a lack of any substantial evidence about the religious life and personal piety of all these laymen with the exception of some fragmentary witness about the spiritual life of E. S. Botkin; at the same time it is known that two of them - the Roman Catholic A. E. Trupp and the Lutheran K. A. Schneider - were not laymen of the Orthodox confession. The Commission came to the conclusion that a very appropriate way of honoring the Christian feats of the Royal Family's loyal servants who shared in their tragic fate, would be to immortalize this feat in the written lives of the Royal martyrs. Thus, at the present time the violent death suffered by these laymen as a result of their carrying out of their moral duty to the Royal Family cannot be presumed to be a martyr's death for confessing the Christian faith.

David

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 08:43:30 AM »
Here's a very short biographical sketch of Trupp, from the Russian edition of Aleksandra Fyodorovna's last diary (1917-1918):
Trupp, Aleksei (Aloizii) Egorovich (1856-1918) -- iz krest'yan Vitebckoi gubernii, c 1883 g. sluzhil po Pridvornomu vedomstvu, s 1 fevralya 1895 g. byl naznachen lakeem 1-go razryada po komnatam imperatritsy Aleksandry Fyodorovny. Nakhodilsya s Romanovymi v Tobol'cke i Ekaterinburge. Rasstrelyan v Ipat'ievskom dome v noch' s 16 na 17 iyulya 1918g.

Sorry I don't have time to translate this morning. Soon, though!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 08:59:47 AM »
Here's a very short biographical sketch of Trupp, from the Russian edition of Aleksandra Fyodorovna's last diary (1917-1918): Trupp, Aleksei (Aloizii) Egorovich (1856-1918) -- iz krest'yan Vitebckoi gubernii, c 1883 g. sluzhil po Pridvornomu vedomstvu, s 1 fevralya 1895 g. byl naznachen lakeem 1-go razryada po komnatam imperatritsy Aleksandry Fyodorovny. Nakhodilsya s Romanovymi v Tobol'cke i Ekaterinburge. Rasstrelyan v Ipat'ievskom dome v noch' s 16 na 17 iyulya 1918g.[/i]

Trupp, Aleksei (Aloizii) Egorovich (1856-1918) -- from the peasant stock of Vitebskoi Province, from 1883 served in the court department, from 1 February, 1895 was appointed footman of the 1st category in the chambers of the Empress Alexandra Feodorovna. Was with the Romanovs in Tobolsk and Ekaterniburg. Was executed at the Ipatiev House the night of 16th -17th July, 1918."

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by helenazar »

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 09:04:20 AM »
It doesn't sound Russian.

It sounds like Trupp was the descendant of the Germans who moved to Russia in the 18th century by the invitations of Catherine II, hence not Russian but ethnically German.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 09:09:20 AM »
Thank you, Helen -- you're quite the translation-whiz!
8)

David_Pritchard

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 09:25:48 AM »
I have seen a good photograph of Alois Trupp in full court uniform wearing a long medal bar and a round medal around his neck (50mm or larger). He looked very much a German and most distinguished. Other written accounts describe him as tall and known for his strength.

David

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 09:44:08 AM »
Do you have that photo, David?

This is the only one I've ever seen:

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 02:37:00 AM »
Alexey/Aloisiy Trupp was Latgallian. Latgallians are an ethnic group very close to Latvians but mainly Catholic, while Latvians are Protestant. However, some Latgallians were/are Orthodox.

Offline Elisabeth

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 11:13:44 AM »
I'm surprised that no one here has commented on the macabre meaning of "Trupp" in Russian. It is indeed a German (or Latgallian) surname, but it sounds like the Russian word "trup," which means "corpse." So it's impossible, if one knows Russian, to read his name without reflecting on his fate, and that of his employers. I assure you that the meaning would leap out at any Russian. Certainly an ironic twist to this loyal servant's fate.
... I love my poor earth
because I have seen no other

-- Osip Mandelshtam

Offline Goody

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 09:31:37 AM »
Alexei Trupp was most assuredly not "Latgallian" - no more so than Russian.  The family originated in what we call in English the "Alsace" region of France/Germany, and did come to Russia in the time of Catherine the Great. 

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 11:26:09 AM »
I always read his name as Aloizii.

Interesting to know more about him. Thank you all.
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 02:00:12 AM »
About Germans in Russia - my grandmother's family, the Schilling von Canstatt family, came to Russia in the time of Maria Feodorovna, wife of Emperor Paul. I believe one of the girls was her friend, this was a story told in the family. The career prospects in Russia were considered much better than opportunities in Germany. Another SVC cousin invented the telegraph, but could not obtain a patent due to restrictions on these in Imperial
Russia. Eventually they obtained lands in the Baltics. By the mid 19th century, there was a Baltic branch and an American branch of the family. Trupp's family may have come to Russia in similar circumstances.

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 07:31:13 AM »
I have heard that Trupp was very rpoud of the fact the Tsarevich had the same name as him.