Author Topic: Various British & Foreign Orders worn by the family  (Read 40889 times)

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Various British & Foreign Orders worn by the family
« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2007, 01:06:32 AM »

Im sure you're right - you seem to be?  Lets agree to differ.

The Viscount

Didn't you say you agree Zara doesn't have the order? I'm sure she doesn't, where would she wear it, since she is not an official member of the royal family and does not do duties? I'm sure she doesn't have it .

My comments refer to your views about Jacobites.

In that case then, yes, I am quite sure I'm right. We'll have to agree to differ.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 01:08:03 AM by basilforever »
His Royal Highness Prince Albert Victor Christian Edward of Wales, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, Earl of Athlone, Knight of The Most Noble Order of the Garter, Knight of The Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 13, 2007, 01:10:49 AM »
Does anyone know why it took so long for Queen Victoria to get/establish her order? She had already been queen for over twenty years by the time Albert died and she established the joint order. William IV was king for only seven years and had an order. Queen Mary died fairly soon after Elizabeth II became queen but the Elizabeth II order was established quite soon, as it was given to Queen Mary. Also, does anyone know if George IV and Wiliam IV gave their orders to Queen Victoria or would this have been yet another case of her mother keeping her away from her family (or perhaps George IV wanting nothing to do with her),

Yes, they are interesting questions. I don't know the answers to them for sure, but I think William IV would have given his neice his order, since he was quite fond of her, George IV probably wouldn't because I don't think he had much to do with her.
His Royal Highness Prince Albert Victor Christian Edward of Wales, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, Earl of Athlone, Knight of The Most Noble Order of the Garter, Knight of The Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick

Offline carl fraley

• Boyar
  • Honor and Fidelity
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 13, 2007, 09:20:27 AM »
I'm on my way to work so i can't find the book right now but will later tonight, but GIV did give Victoria his order. I remember reading that he lifted her into the carriage one day and took her around Windsor and at that time she quoted in her diary that he gave her a pretty little picture of himself surrounded by diamonds and on a ribbon.  I have to find the exact info tonight... Sorry

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 13, 2007, 09:37:22 AM »
That's a nice story, she must have been very young and already keeping a diary.  :)

Offline carl fraley

• Boyar
  • Honor and Fidelity
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 13, 2007, 09:39:35 AM »
yes she young she would have been around 8 i believe when GIV died and i believe this was around the same time he cast his eyes on Feodora... But will update with info tonight.

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 13, 2007, 10:03:36 AM »
No QV was Eleven when George IV died, but he probably didn't give her his order at the last minute. He gave it to her around the time he saw her sister Feodora? What happened there?

Offline carl fraley

• Boyar
  • Honor and Fidelity
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2007, 10:17:12 PM »
Sorry it took so long to find the Quote, but this comes from HM QV's own diary:
"In the year '27 George IV asked my mother, my sister and me down to Windsor for the first time... When we arrived at the Royal Lodge the king took me by the hand saying, "Give me your little paw"  He was large and gouty but with a wonderful dignity and charm of manner... " But he was also grossly fat, and wore a wig in the older fashion...  "as i shall not see my dear uncle on his birthday, i wish to gie him this nosegay now" Reciprocating, he offered her something for me to wear and that was a miniature of his picture set in diamonds which was worn by the Princess's (his sisters) as an order to a blue ribbon on the left shoulder" "

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 16, 2007, 02:30:06 AM »
Did QV really write that about her uncle being grossly fat? What is a nosegay?  :)

Offline emeraldeyes

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 17, 2007, 09:52:42 AM »
A nosegay is a small bouquet of flowers.  It makes the nose gay, get it?   :)

An intelligent Hell would be better than a stupid paradise.  - Victor Hugo

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 17, 2007, 10:04:09 AM »
That's funny.  ;D I think I might use this word myself!  :D

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 07, 2007, 12:22:37 PM »
She did receive the Royal Order of Victoria and Albert though.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #146 on: July 12, 2007, 02:53:20 PM »
Following the death of Lady Margaret Beaufort (in 1509, the final year of her son Henry VII’s reign) and excluding queens regnant, it would be almost four hundred years before the Order of the Garter welcomed another female. This was Queen Alexandra, consort of Edward VII.  "She was appointed to the Order of the Garter in 1901, the year of her husband’s accession.  Although there was no statutory provision for the inclusion of women, King Edward VII insisted his Queen receive a stall in St. George’s Chapel. Despite an initial concern, voiced by Garter King of Arms (Sir Albert Woods), the King asserted his right to appoint his wife to the Order and grant her a stall."

A Special Statute was issued and this significant appointment was recorded in the Register of the Order:

The Secretary of State for the Home Department signified to the Chancellor of this Most Noble Order that His Majesty the King, as Sovereign of the Order, had been graciously pleased to command that a Special Statute be issued for conferring upon Her Majesty the Queen the title and dignity of a Lady of this Most Noble Order and fully authorising Her Majesty to wear the Insignia thereof.  The Sovereign's Pleasure was duly announced in the London Gazette of Tuesday 12 February, 1901.

George V and George VI both chose to follow King Edward’s example, respectively appointing their consorts as “Ladies of the Garter”.

"King George VI appointed two other females to the Order: Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands in 1944 (again following the passage of a Special Statute) and Princess Elizabeth (now HM The Queen) in 1948.  Princess Elizabeth’s appointment coincided with that of the Duke of Edinburgh.  Husband and wife were admitted at a special ceremony commemorating the 600th anniversary of the Order’s foundation"

EII has appointed three other Queens to the Order: HRH Princess Juliana of the Netherlands (who was Queen at the time of her appointment) and HM The Queen of the Netherlands were appointed in 1958 and 1989 respectively whilst HM The Queen of Denmark was appointed in 1979. "Foreign Queens appointed to the Order are styled as “Extra Ladies of the Garter” whilst female members of our Royal Family are styled either as “Ladies of the Garter” or, following a recent special statute, “Extra Ladies Companion”. The two most recent royal females to be honoured with the Garter are HRH the Princess Royal (1994) and HRH Princess Alexandra, The Hon. Lady Ogilvy (2003).  Royal appointments are extra-numerary and as such have no bearing on the established number of twenty-four Companions. "

"Women were excluded from the Royal Victorian Order for the first forty years of its existence.  The Sovereign responsible for the admission of women was King Edward VIII; however in his short time on the throne he was only able to appoint one female: his mother. Appointed a Dame Grand Cross, Queen Mary would live to see many more female appointees. George VI rapidly expanded the role of women in the Order. The new king appointed his consort a Dame Grand Cross and installed her as the Order’s first Grand Master.  George VI also awarded the Royal Victorian Order to HM Queen Maud of Norway; HRH The Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll; HRH The Princess Beatrice; HRH Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester; HRH Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone and also to his sister, HRH The Princess Royal (Princess Mary).  These royals were all invested as Dames Grand Cross. To date HM The Queen has awarded the Royal Victorian Order to HH Princess Marie Louise; HRH The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon; HRH Princess Alexandra, the Hon. Lady Ogilvy; HRH The Princess Royal; HRH The Duchess of Kent and HRH The Duchess of Gloucester. These appointments were all to the rank of Dame Grand Grand Cross."
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline joye

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 26, 2007, 08:59:31 PM »
I have been reading the booK, The Last Princess,  by Matthew Dennison. It is the story of Princess Beatrice, the youngest daughter of Q. Victoria.
On page 234, it states  that her brother, Edward VII, gave her  his Royal   Family Order, 2nd class.

On Royal Jewels Board, a post with  http://www.regiments.org/biography/royal/1947birG.htm
was given for honours awarded The Duchess of Gloucester. It states that in 1973, The Duchess had QEII Royal Family Order  2nd class.

I have never heard of 2nd class for this Order. Yet here are stated 2 such instances. I have researched this and can find nothing.

Perhaps, Viscount, who I know has great knowledge in these areas, may be able to offer an explanation.

I would so love to understand this perplexing information.
YaBB 1G-SP1!

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
  • Queen Mary: Visions of Grandeur
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 02, 2007, 08:25:56 PM »
Here's what I found:
"Today, the Royal Family Order appears to hold a single class. Previous Royal Family Orders had three to four classes. Queen Victoria's Royal Order of Victoria and Albert, for example, had four classes."

It doesn't quite answer your question, but it's a step in that direction.  :)

Mary R.
"I shall be very disappointed," she remarked for the record, "if George doesn't come up again." Queen Mary upon hearing her husband was to ride in a submarine.

When asked the question of when her eldest son would return to the country Queen Mary said, "Not until he comes to my funeral."

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 02, 2007, 10:42:13 PM »
Well she was King George VI's daughter after all!!!