The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
July 23, 2014, 07:18:13 PM
460781 Posts in 8929 Topics by 14536 Members
Latest Member: kmk818
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty
| |-+  Maria Nicholaievna (Moderators: Sarushka, BobAtchison, Forum Admin)
| | |-+  Maria's letters & notes
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author
Topic: Maria's letters & notes  (Read 56780 times)
Reply #150
« on: August 05, 2009, 10:01:55 PM »
Grand Princess Shandroise Offline
Velikye Knyaz
1 Corinthians 13, Mark 11: 23-24, Romans 8: 38-39 Posts: 2079

View Profile

This is from Livadia and you can see there letters of Maria and Anastasie actually.

Amazing colored fotos  by Yelena Aleksandrovna. Immeasurable thanks!!
Reply #151
« on: August 07, 2009, 11:51:11 AM »
Yelena Aleksandrovna Offline
Velikye Knyaz
Евгений Плющенко ~фигурное катание царь Posts: 3599

View Profile WWW

Very interesting post Shandroise, thank you very much

"There is no harm in being sometimes wrong -especially if one is promptly found out" ~John M. Keynes
Reply #152
« on: August 29, 2009, 02:53:20 PM »
Grand Duchess Mariana Offline
"Time flies by with a horrible quickness" Maria N. Posts: 9

View Profile WWW

Here you can find extracts from her letters :
http://www.alexanderpalace.org/palace/mdiaries.html#slide
http://www.freewebs.com/romanovsisters/mementos.htm     [special thanks to Grand Duchess Ally]

I just couldn't understand (in the first extract of the first link) what an "OO" means :

601,1291, PP.12,26, March 8, 1914.
"...It was fun to bathe in your bathroom, I enjoyed myself like a pug-dog, and, of course, I did "business" in your "OO". It was not very comfortable and rather cold as the lid was opened but I did not notice it. The water reached my shoulders - not in the "OO" but in the bathroom... Mother and Tatiana are playing "halma". The window in the bedroom is opened and there is a draught from the door and we can hear Gulyga..."

If I am not wrong , this was part of a letter from Maria to the Tsar.

Both coloured images courtesy of GD Ally .
Reply #153
« on: August 29, 2009, 11:05:53 PM »
Grand Duchess Jennifer Offline
Graf
"Give my love to all who remember me"-Olga,1918 Posts: 305

View Profile WWW

I guess "OO" is a toilet, though I don't know why it's called an "OO".

Please visit www.freewebs.com/grand-duchessesofrussiaotma/
Banner and Icon by Ally
Reply #154
« on: August 30, 2009, 05:35:33 AM »
Sarushka Online
Velikye Knyaz
May I interest you in a grain of salt? Posts: 6431

View Profile WWW

I guess "OO" is a toilet, though I don't know why it's called an "OO".

Maybe a derivation of the British "loo"? We'd probably need to see the original Russian text to be sure.

THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King
Reply #155
« on: August 31, 2009, 08:50:09 PM »
Georgiy Offline
Velikye Knyaz
Slava v vyshnikh Bogu Posts: 1997

View Profile

I think she just didn't want to write the word 'toilet'. "Loo" isn't exactly an upper-class kind of word. She'd have probably called it a WC, like we see in some other letters by OTMA.
Reply #156
« on: September 04, 2009, 11:22:16 AM »
Grand Duchess Mariana Offline
"Time flies by with a horrible quickness" Maria N. Posts: 9

View Profile WWW

Yeah ... probably she did wanted to say 'toilet' , it makes sense ... ;]
Thank u guys .. !

Both coloured images courtesy of GD Ally .
Reply #157
« on: November 11, 2009, 08:30:18 PM »
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

I translated the Russian ones in ‘Maria’s Letters in Exile’ from the main AP website in a hope that there are not yet translated letters. I found only this one which looked new to me (but a bit of this letter was already translated to English there). Here’s my translation after Google translated it. I’m very sorry for the still poor grammar although I tried to correct the errors on the translation Google gave me.

Maria Nikolaevna to OTAA in Tobolsk
April 28 (11 May)

Good morning my dear! I just got up and lit the fireplace because the room was cold. The firewood makes a crackling sound just like in a frosty day in T. [obolsk]. Today our dirty linen was given to the laundress; Nyuta [Demidova] also became a laundress. Mother washed the handkerchiefs and dusted cloths very well. We have been guarded by Letts for several days. You probably feel uncomfortable in packing. We have arranged our things here. If the book doesn’t come on my birthday, ask N.T. to write. If he fails, then nothing. Now probably all of you will soon arrive. We know nothing about you; we wait for your letters every time. I continue to draw from the book of Bem. Maybe you can buy white paint. We have very little left of it here. In the autumn, Zhilik has found a good tire, flat and round. Who knows, perhaps this letter reaches you before your departure. May God bless your way and yes, He will save you from all evil. I awfully want to know who will accompany you. My tender thoughts and prayers surround you - we will be together again soon. I firmly kiss and bless you my dear+.

[Written by the Empress]
Warm greetings to all who remain with you there. I hope that Al. [Alexei] himself feels stronger and that the roads will not bother him, too. Mama
This morning we are going for a walk as it is warm. Valya [Dolgorukov] is still not allowed to see us. Greetings to others. I’m so sorry I was not able to say goodbye. You must be very sad to leave Tobolsk, such a pleasant house, etc; I remember the cosy rooms and the garden. Do you play on the swing, or has the plank already broken? Papa and I kiss you lovingly my dears. May God keep you. I send greetings to everyone in the house. Best wishes and a safe journey, if you are already leaving.
Yours, M.

Reply #158
« on: November 18, 2009, 09:20:38 AM »
Tasia Offline
Boyar

View Profile

Shandroise, this is a bit new for me!! THANKS FOR THE POST!
Reply #159
« on: November 18, 2009, 08:30:17 PM »
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

You are very welcome! Thanks for understanding the translation, too!
Anyway, are there more letters of Maria to her father in Russian websites? Please let us know by giving the links here. Thank you very much in advance!

Reply #160
« on: December 11, 2009, 11:22:20 PM »
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

(Courtesy of the dear good Joanna :-) Some excerpts only. I could not translate the whole as I don’t understand the Russian words there. I just post the very nice [IMO] details I found.

November 30,1914
My dear Papa!
Last night, I saw my dear Demenkov and he was with Shvedov, so Olga and I were both very happy.

So Olga also had a crush on an officer surnamed Shvedov…I wonder who he is. 

June 13,1915
My dear Papa!
Yesterday afternoon, I played tennis with Anastasia. As always, I, of course, lost the entire set of three…Tatiana went riding. I also wanted to but I have a runny nose.

October 3
…I must stop now because I will try on some clothes, very uninteresting.

6 January 1916
Dear my own Papa!
I had lunch with Anastasia, and Olga and Tatiana were with me in the lower church for the Mass at 9 o’clock. Then, sisters and Alexei went to the hospital and I went for a walk. It’s 4 degrees today so it’s a very good time to walk. It’s a pity that I could not go with you so that we could be together to dig the snow. It’s a pity that I am not a boy…

February 13, 1916
I'll go now to drink tea. Ortipo lies under the table and is very unhappy because I have not placed him on my lap, but I could not as I am writing!

Reply #161
« on: December 21, 2009, 01:42:53 AM »
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Some more from dear Joanna’s research :-) My translation is very poor – so it’s a bit hilarious.

June 14, 1916
I don’t know how to thank you, my Papa, for the gift you’ve given me! I am sorry I cannot write much as I am very busy. In the morning, I went to the infirmary and had to assist the wounded to a new lazaret. We just had lunch, and now must go to the blessing of the new hospital. It is such a comfortable place. I kiss you and Alexei. God keep you. Your Kazanets

June 17, 1916
.My dear Papa!
Now I sit on the balcony with Mama and Anya. We have just finished lunch. There is a thunderstorm today and we can hear a lot of thunder. I do not know what we are going to do. Now, Anastasia and I often go to our new hospital. It is awfully nice. I hope when you return, you would go with us. Every evening, we sisters are in the infirmary and we play dobchinsky-bobchinsky. You cannot imagine how Baron Taube fussed and argued with Rita Khitrovo. They always harass each other. Every time lightning strikes, Anya would do a sign of the cross and say:”Oh, I do not need it. I do not want a thunderstorm”. I’ll stop writing now as there is nothing more to write. I kiss you and Alexei firmly. Thank Zhilik for his letter. God keep you. Your Kazanets.

August 15, 1916
My dear good Papa!
For the past four days, we did not play tennis. It is terribly cold and it rains everyday. This morning, we went to Mass and then I went with Trina and Shvibzk [Anastasia]. As we drove past the station, we met Voyeikov riding on a motor [car]. At 11:30, the Tsar’s train arrived from Mogilyev. You must be very pleased to have Nick. We opened a window in our room and I am slowly freezing. Now, we’ll have to go to lunch, but Mama might not join us…I kiss you and Alexei. I’m sorry for this boring letter, but I don’t have anything interesting to tell you. God keep you. Your Kazanets.
Bow to Kolya.

30 October 1916
My dear Papa!
Today, it is two years since the Great Palace hospital was established and therefore, we must go there to see a concert. Your friend Lersky will be there. I will be pleased to see him because he usually says a lot of good and funny things. Now I sit with Mama. We attended the early morning mass and then went to the hospital. We played billiards. I played only once, because as a pig, it is difficult to play without practice. Victor Erastovich was in the infirmary yesterday, and played billiards, too. It is now time to stop, as I must finish two shirts for officers who will be leaving our hospital at 6 o’clock with Mama. I kiss you strongly. God keep you. Your Kazanets

Reply #162
« on: December 21, 2009, 02:01:00 AM »
blessOTMA Offline
Velikye Knyaz
Tell me the truth, monsieur Posts: 2507

View Profile WWW

Grand Princess Shandroise! Thank you for all your posts! Love Maria's letters!

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna
Reply #163
« on: December 21, 2009, 03:18:49 AM »
Ally Kumari Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

Bow to Kolya.

LOL! Smiley

Big thank you also from me for these lovely letters and lovely translation.
Reply #164
« on: December 21, 2009, 11:39:09 AM »
Grand Duchess Jennifer Offline
Graf
"Give my love to all who remember me"-Olga,1918 Posts: 305

View Profile WWW

I don't know if you've already done so, Ally, but you can send Joanna a PM with your email and she will send you a file with roughly translated OTMA's diaries & letters.

Please visit www.freewebs.com/grand-duchessesofrussiaotma/
Banner and Icon by Ally
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: