Author Topic: Why Anastasia ??  (Read 34587 times)

rskkiya

Re: Why Anastasia ??
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2004, 10:27:48 AM »
Which photo are we discussing - the one in which all 5  children are posing indoors behind a drape, or the photo in the garden with just the daughters smiling for Gilliard ?

PS Agrb...it was originally german measles that they had caught in february.

I don't think that the Orthadox church condemned people for cutting off their hair (it was always done for nuns)- I believe that it was a more social stigma. No doubt it might surprise people just how long it can take for someone to grow a full head of hair after it has all been shaved. Perhaps they became sick again, after feb/march. I do not know why Gilliard would have mentioned "june" ... Or perhaps they thought that it might be easier to keep tidy for the time being.

I have few other suggestions, as the hair styles of the GDs are of very little interest to me. Maybe the Forum Admin might know.

R.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2004, 03:18:35 PM »
OTMAA's hair was shaved June 22.  They had been losing their hair since they recovered from the measles in late March, and it was done so that it would all grow back in together.  April and early May were still cold and wet, according to the diaries and letters, and they started the kitchen garden in May when it began to warm up, which is where so many of the outside garden photos come from, BEFORE their heads were shaved in late June. June was reported as very hot.  Also, it was only six weeks later they were moved out of the AP, so not as many photos were probably taken after the shaving.

Hope this clears things up.

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
  • July 18th 2005: 87 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2004, 04:28:56 PM »
Ahh. So when we see pics of the GD's sitting alongside the fence with hats on and what looks like hair underneath, that might have been their real hair, and it was around May.

But when they take off their hats and show their bald heads, that was probably in June.

:)

Offline Kim

• I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2004, 10:02:35 PM »
So at least it wasn't wigs! Probably the reason they were wearing those floppy hats in the May pic is because they had bald spots on their head where it had been falling out? If you look at the picture where they are having a meal in Tobolsk with Mde. Schneider you can see they have short hairdos, I guess that was all they got a chance to grow before they :(

Ivan Kent Steinke

« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2004, 11:24:22 AM »
I think this whole idea of someone "feeding her information" is utterly stupid. If someone wanted to put forward an Anastasia impostor, why would they have put forward Anna Anderson, of all people. Let's get real. She was a half-mad lunatic, one of the most eccentric human beings who has ever lived. Noone, NOONE stood anything to gain by presenting Anna Anderson as Anastasia. The reason why I think that she probably was the actual Anastasia Romanov is this. Of all the claimants she, by surface level standards, would have been the most obvious fraud, and yet numerous members of the highest level of Imperial Russian Society believed her to be genuine.
    The poor lady spent nearly her whole life poor, almost destitute, in and out of mental hospitals, rejected by those whom she believed to be her family.  The idea of someone "feeding her information" is more the stuff of a fairytale than a tormented life, such as she lived.

Offline JM

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2004, 11:42:02 AM »
I think this whole idea of someone "feeding her information" is utterly stupid. If someone wanted to put forward an Anastasia impostor, why would they have put forward Anna Anderson, of all people. Let's get real. She was a half-mad lunatic, one of the most eccentric human beings who has ever lived. Noone, NOONE stood anything to gain by presenting Anna Anderson as Anastasia. The reason why I think that she probably was the actual Anastasia Romanov is this. Of all the claimants she, by surface level standards, would have been the most obvious fraud, and yet numerous members of the highest level of Imperial Russian Society believed her to be genuine.
     The poor lady spent nearly her whole life poor, almost destitute, in and out of mental hospitals, rejected by those whom she believed to be her family.  The idea of someone "feeding her information" is more the stuff of a fairytale than a tormented life, such as she lived.

I totally agree! The idea that somebody was feeding her information is not even supported by evidence. And if somebody was actually helping her, I'm sure that they would've been discovered.

It seems that the "anti-Anna" group is still coming up with preposterous ideas to explain Anna Anderson, even after the DNA. I just don't think that everything can be explained.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2004, 11:48:24 AM »
I hate to sound like a meanie, but I totally DISAGREE. It's ridiculous to completely rule out the idea of her being 'fed' information (this could take on many forms both intentional and unintentional, such as listening to memories of others) Since there is a very very good chance that AA was not Anastasia, the 'memories' would have to be explained some other way and it only makes sense they came from others familiar with the palace and court life.

Thanks to all who solved the 'bald headed' mystery! ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Annie »

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2004, 11:50:55 AM »

It seems that the "anti-Anna" group is still coming up with preposterous ideas to explain Anna Anderson, even after the DNA.

Um, what do you mean by 'even after the DNA?' The DNA tests proved her to be Franziska Schanskowska.

I am not "anti-Anna", I like her very much, feel sorry for her, and believed her claim for years. But I think the dream is over  :( and it's just not realistic anymore. How would there be any 'evidence' of someone giving her info? If it were whispered, overheard, or told in a private conversation, there would be no record of that, now would there? Sure there are some things we will never be able to prove, since those involved are all gone now.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2004, 11:55:52 AM »
Annie,
Actually, the mtDNA tests proved she was NOT Anastasia, but could only say that it was "probable" she was FS, but there is some doubt there.
When discussing this issue, we have to keep the 2 separate...a lot of the AA supporters try to confuse the issue.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2004, 12:03:05 PM »
Okay, thanks FA.

That still leaves us with her not being Anastasia and having to have gotten the 'memories' somewhere.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 02:12:15 PM by Alixz »

Offline JM

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2004, 01:00:27 PM »

Um, what do you mean by 'even after the DNA?' The DNA tests proved her to be Franziska Schanskowska.

They did?! :o

I meant that some people can't just leave it at the DNA, they keep making up stories and theories to try and further explain AA. I'm sorry, but if you think that the DNA has proved your case then there really isn't any reason to keep inventing theories about Anna. Unless, of course, you enjoy inventing theories.

BTW, the *you* in this little post doesn't refer to anyone in particular.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2004, 02:23:27 PM »
I just said that because the way you worded it made it look like the DNA had come in on AA's side which in fact it did not. That was the final straw for me, DNA tests are pretty conclusive unless you're into conspiracy theories and Days of Our Lives storylines. But other reasons I don't believe it anymore is that she really doesn't even look like Anastasia to me, and the people closest to her (Aunt Olga, Uncle Ernie, teacher of 13 years, Gilliard) were some of the most against her. It must have hurt them very much to have had to deal with the pretenders after the tragedy they suffered.

Offline livadia

• View Profile
    • livadia*org
« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2004, 08:37:52 AM »
<<  OTMAA's hair was shaved June 22.  They had been losing their hair since they recovered from the measles in late March, and it was done so that it would all grow back in together. >>

Thanks FA.  :)  6/22 NS matches up with Gilliards OS 6/9 very nicely.  and the growingbackinatthesametime reasoning makes a lot of sense.  well, considering who was making the decisions.  

okay, i'm done.  thank you, guys.  ;D

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2004, 08:50:29 AM »
I still have a problem with them shaving them totally bald though. Wouldn't a short 'do like the one Tatiana had in 1913 when she was sick before have been enough? Then they wouldn't have had to hide their heads. Or did they already have bald spots on their heads? Still I'd rather have some kind of combover until the bald spots grew out! Totally bald girls *shivers* I'm glad I didn't live back in those days.

Bob_the_builder

« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2007, 08:50:55 PM »
I think that the reason Anastasia was well-know as the legendary survivor is because from the start, it was Anastasia all the rumors focused on. There was even a magazine article on it in Berlin, Germany. Clara Peuthert apparently picked up on this in the insane ward, but noticed Anna A. looked more like Tatiana than Anastasia so declared her to be Tatiana.

Perhaps the rumors were because Anastasia really escaped or maybe it was simply because everyone believed that if ANYONE could have survived it had to be Anastasia. I mean, if you could see any of the members of the family fighting for their life and somehow making it out there alive, who else would it be other than Anastasia?

It is kind of odd though how it turned out to be her body missing in the end along with Alexei. I certainly don't believe Alexei survived, and it's doubtful anyone could have survived, but if anyone could I promise you it would be Anastasia.