Author Topic: Impérial Mistresses  (Read 40580 times)

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Impérial Mistresses
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2007, 11:50:29 AM »
Of course ;)

Napoleon I:

*Marguerite Pauline Bellisle Foures.
*Louise Catherine Eléonore Denuelle de la Plaigne, mother of his illegitimate son Leon.

Napoleon III:

*Eléonore Vergeot, mother of his illegitimate sons Eugène-Alexandre, count of Orx, and Louis-Ernest, count of Labenne.
*Harriet Howard, countess of Beauregard, mother of his illegitimate son Martin Harriet Bonaparte, count of Béchevet.
*Valentine Haussmann, mother of his illegitimate son Jules Hadot.

I was not here for some days....and now see what an interesting topic.... ;D

BUT:

Martin Harriet, son of Mrs Howard, was definitely NOT the son of Napoleon III. !!!!  I read a biography on Mrs Howard, who was very devoted to Louis Napoleon and had a very deep relationship to his illegitimate children Comte d' Labenne and comte d'Orx and cared for them until she was taken aways brutally from them after a time, when the relationship brought to many problems, but it was a common rumour at that time (also copied by different historical writers- one copied it from the other) that Martin was Napoleon's son, in fact he was an illegitimate son of Mrs Howard from another man, who she knew many years before she met Napoleon III the first time. Because of the "scandal" with that illeg. son she made papers for Martin to change his identity for her little brother, which was not true (illegitimate children always a bad thing at that time) . Later when she took care of the children of Napoleon III by Eleonore Vergeot, she often went for a walk with all three children, her illegitimate son Martin from her early relationship to a man, whose name I've forgotten now (would have to look it up) and the two children of Napoleon III. The gossip created a nice phantasy tale: All children were from Mrs Howard and Napoleon III. But that was a common gossip at that time, not more.... There was nothing true about it, the truth was: Mrs Howard had Martin from another man, and Napoleon III had two children from Eleonore!:) It's true that Martin was given the title of a count of Bechevet, but his surname cannot have been Bonaparte.

And what about Valentine Haussmann???? I have never heard about that! Where does this come from? Did Napoleon III really have e third illeg. son???
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 11:52:15 AM by britt.25 »
La vérité est plus importante que l'amour

Marie Bonaparte (1882-1962)

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2007, 11:59:33 AM »

Dear Princess Susan,

Maria Walewska was the one Kaiserin Sissi knew... (very first post in this thread)

Maria Walewska (1786 - 1817), née  Maria Łączyńska, was married with comte Athenasius Walewski (quite 40 years older). Count Walewski died 1814  (?) and in September of 1816 MWa married a second cousin of Napoleon I, Count Philippe Antoine d’Ornano. She died in labor, in 1817 giving birth to a living son, Roland d’Ornano.

Other mistresses of Napoléon 1 : Thérèse-Etienne Bourgoin (a dancer) and Catherine Joséphine Duchesnois, actress (in competition on the stage with... Mlle Georges !)

Other mistress of Napoléon 3 : Maria Anna Ricci, italian nobildonna ... later married with ... Alexandre Colonna Walewski (son of M.Wa. and Napoléon 1 !)

My dear princesses, let
Mr Canard kiss devotely your hands ! :-*

...Yes, but the son of Maria Walewska and Philippe Antoine d'Ornano was called Rodolphe d 'Ornano.
The descendants still live today, and one famous person from this line was Michel d'Ornano with political function.  Hubert, his brother is famous for the creation Sisley.

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2007, 02:33:18 AM »
pouvoir aux canard
Insert Quote
 I do remember the texts about some mistresses. I will post end of September

Yes, when you get a chance I also would be very interested!

Offline pouvoir aux canard

• Sufficit animus
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2007, 10:34:04 AM »
Here I am...

We can also add, for Napoléon 3 :

for a (short) while Elisabeth Félix, a very talented actress surnamed RACHEL

and mainly Julie Leboeuf  (aka Marguerite Bellanger ) from humble origin but she had a great importance for Napoléon 3.

So I will ( slowly, as I have a huge work to do ) say something about

- for N3 : Rachel, Marguerite Bellanger and Louise de Mercy-Argenteau (the other ones are well known also for people speaking anglo-american)       
- and for N1 : Mademoiselle Georges, Caroline Branchu, Giuseppina Grassini and Elisabeth Le Michaud d'Arçon. 

Please, consider I am NOT fluent in english (and writing is worse than speaking!!) so for me it is a difficult duty, but I do it with pleasure for the forum. Thanks.

your most devoted

Monsieur Canard

• Sufficit animus
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2007, 12:00:39 PM »
The actress Rachel (21 February 1821 – 3 January 1858) had a soul of exceptional quality !

She hated gossip and we have many witnesses of the fact that – although she lived in a cruel ambient - she forbad any criticism of her colleagues in her own circle and house. Born by chance in Mumpf (Aargau canton) in Switzerland, she was from Jewish family from the Alsace region (a land that France and Germany often contest  during their History). Her father was a poor peddler, her mother sang in the streets…  and the girl often earned money, when a child, singing also in the streets  (also later on in Paris…) After her birth, went 3 sisters and a brother.

The family came to Paris at the beginning of the ’30 and, after a difficult period ,  Rachel began to study song, dramatic art and elocution. Admitted in the prestigious school of the french Conservatory of Dramatic Art (her private teacher, an old actor, helped her) she quickly became the best pupil of the staff; after few exhibitions in private theaters (here she was given her stage name Rachel) she entered the Comédie Française in 1838, in a classic tragedy (Horace of  Pierre Corneille). At this time she was the mistress of Louis Véron, a wealthy french manufacturer. He tried to make of Rachel simply a courtisane but she refused and never abandoned her work on the theatre.

She began to provide to the all family, giving lessons to her sisters (the 3 entered later the Comédie Française) and making a tour manager of her brother Raphael.

Touring in England (1846) she met Louis- Napoléon  and had an affair with him. She is also said to have had a short affair with Prince Napoléon (Napoléon Joseph Charles Paul Bonaparte). The character Vashti in Charlotte Brontë's novel Villette was based on Rachel, whom Brontë had seen performing in London.

But the most important affairs of her life were with
-the french poet Alfred de Musset (he called her “enfant sublime” (sublime child)  and so many people after him
-and the son of Napoléon 1er , Alexandre Walewsky (she had a son with him in 1844). 

Anyway, fro 1837 to 1855 she played theatre in Paris, France and in the world. her clear diction, rhythmic speech, and economy of gesture contrasted with the exaggerated style of the time. She had a hudge success everywhere.  To be noted during 1854: touring in Warsaw, Saint Petersburg and Moscow (January-April) and 1855: touring from september to december in the United States.

But she was dramatically  ill of tuberculosis at this time and, retired near Nice in France (trying to heal) she died on  January 1858 and was buried in Paris (Père-Lachaise cemetery, Jewish quarter). 40 000 persons accompanied her to her grave and 4 french writers and poets sustained the coffin.
Here is an english text refering to Alfred de Musset  and Rachel.

http://www.female-ancestors.com/daughters/felix.htm

and now some pictures :
first, 2 pictures of Rachel on the stage:

the last one from a great artist, Achille Deveria (1800-1857)

Then a sculpture of Jean Auguste Barre (now in the Louvre) :

finally some drawings and paintings of her in the classic stage costume of Phedra :

On this last painting of the painter Faustin Besson (1821-1882) she is painted with all her colleagues of the National French Theatre (LA COMéDIE FRANçAISE) (the painting is still in this theater)  but Rachel with her red coat is clearly dominating the group and at the center OF THE ATTENTION:

The next mistress of N3 had a rather longer affair with him...
so, to be continued  ........./............

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2007, 04:07:41 PM »
Hello,

Thank you very much for the infos and pictures of Rachel Felix, I always found this woman very interesting, not only because of her affairs to three Bonaparte cousins. It was very informative to read all those infos, but it would also be interesting for me to know, if there might be any good literature on that lady (biography?), if possible translated in English or German, as I am not able to speak french (understand some words because I learn other rom. languages, but this is not enough for reading a book) But reading a detailled book on her whole life would be more than a pleasure to me. Any idea? Msr. Canard, maybe?

It's interesting to see that only because of the son of Rachel Felix the line of Walewski survived: All of the todays Walewski family members descend from Alexandre, the son of Rachel and Count Walewski.  I've read that Count Walewski- who didn't like to tell openly that he was Napoleon's son even if it as of common knowledge- adopted this son by Rachel after her early death, and raised him with his family.
I aleady knew some of the pics of Rachel, but where did you get those, where she's on stage and that where she wears a red dress and is surrounded by other women?? Never seen!!

I once had a contact with a distant relative of Rachel and he sent me a huge family tree of Rachel's family, which was fascinating. I even contacted the Walewskis, but they do not have much time to answer long questions...common problem among such families.. a pity!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 04:12:05 PM by britt.25 »

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2007, 04:33:33 PM »
I have now taken a closer look and found the pictures on the wonderful page "reunion des musees nationaux"....there are also rare Disderi pics from two of Rachels sisters..., and I found this photograhy, too. Beautiful, I never found any photo of her until now, only paitings, so I think it could be interesting:

I find, her son has more her slim figure instead of the stature of C. A. Walewski. I'll post a picture, if anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 04:35:06 PM by britt.25 »

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2007, 12:19:09 AM »
This is wonderful! I have not read much about this Mistress or the others that are less known.

pouvoir aux canard  The next mistress of N3 had a rather longer affair with him...
so, to be continued  ........./............

Yes, Britt 25 please post the Son's picture! Thank you!

• Sufficit animus
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2007, 09:32:03 AM »
Dear Britt, you are brilliant...

About the question of a litterature on Rachel in English or in German, I am not sure to be able to help you. The libraries of Mr Canard are only French, Italian and Spanish. For other documentation, your favorite duck has also to explore the web. Did you got the text about Musset and Rachel ? He seemed to me a fairly good one and gives an idea of the quality of the girl.

Anyway, as I am rather tired this autumn and yesterday I forgot a file with two or three informations and pictures I prepared, but now here they are: 
first a portraict of A. Walewsky, an attractive young man:

and a better view of the splendid sculpture of Rachel in the Musée du Louvre :

Then the fact that Rachel had a second son, from Arthur Bertrand, (himself a son of a napoleonic général Bertrand): the boy was named Gabriel-Victor Félix, born  26 -1-1848 and became a brilliant marine officer . The sisters and the brother of Rachel clearly "adopted" him. Arthur Bertrand seemed to have been rather childish and the liaison, for Rachel, a difficult one...

Now the 4 talended sisters. They were called Sarah, Dinah, Lia et Rebecca and had all a theatre career. (The career od Dinah, I guess, was interrupted by illness afterwhat she returned to theatre in good health)

Sarah was purhaps the closest to Rachel : for a while (1853) she joined Comédie Française. Here a painting of Rachel commissioned in 1859 by her sister Sarah Félix to the painter Jean-Léon Géròme. Now the painting  belongs to Comédie Française. Mainly her carreer was in private theatres and tournées.

Lia was very very talented:

here is Lia again by Disderi with a young girl (Rebecca ?)

and with Dinah:

Dinah  joined for a long time the Comédie Française : 1862-1882

Rebecca , from 1845 to 1854 also performed in the Comédie Française

and again their brother Raphael was an actor and joined Comédie Française from 1846  to 1851, but mainly he seems to have helped Rachel and his sisters for contracts with theatres and organisation of tournées.

Next post (next Sunday) : MARGUERITE BELLANGER and NAPOLéON 3

your devoted

Mr Canard

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2007, 09:43:05 AM »
Thanks for all the overwhelming infos and pictures of Rachel and her family! It would be great to find any biography on the whole family! Not any idea? I also understand Italian and Portughese, but no french :'(

If anyone is interested in the family tree, I can send it, but it's a powerpoint program and was sent to me by a person, who is distantly related to her.

I'll send the picture of Alexander Walewski (jr) as well, but at the moment my PC is broken and my little notebook, which I'm damned to use,  has no connection to the scanner ::)

Thanks, Msr. Canard---I'm looking forward to your next chapter ;)

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2007, 11:08:46 PM »
Next post (next Sunday) : MARGUERITE BELLANGER and NAPOLéON 3

I also await your next posting! ;)

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2007, 03:02:02 AM »
Alexander Walewski (jr) (1844-1898), son of Rachel and Alexander Walewski (sr)

Recognized by his father in 1844 and adopted in 1860.

Source: Point de Vue from the sixties, portrait of the Walewski family.

• Sufficit animus
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2007, 03:57:52 AM »
brava Britt!

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2007, 06:06:10 AM »
It's not so clear that scan, because I copied the page with all the Walewskis members to cut out only Alexandre and then scanned the single pic again= bad quality.
There's another pic of him in the net with more beard (this is better with less beard, I think ::)), but the other is too small, too....
Do you know other pics of him?
I had searched over years for that until I found the article. The PDV's from the 60ies are gorgeous sometimes.
Is there any picture of Rachels other son...? And any bio on the whole family?

Thank you for looking.

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2007, 06:08:17 AM »
BW: I'm wondering that Walewski was so sure that it was his son and already recognized him shortly after his birth...I have heard that Rachel had sooo many other affairs...who knows??? ;D