Author Topic: Help with Identification, Translations, Finding a Photo  (Read 148141 times)

Offline mishaxenia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Identification, Translations, Finding a Photo
« Reply #315 on: September 09, 2013, 03:15:29 PM »
a new image of the Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna-younger or similarity ?

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/1881/1v45.jpg

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #316 on: September 09, 2013, 04:00:56 PM »
I would say it is Maria Pavlovna, although I am not exactly an expert on her.
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

Offline otmafan

• Knyaz
  • In Loving Memory
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 09, 2013, 04:36:05 PM »
Definitely Maria Pavlovna! Gorgeous!

Offline Bryndis

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 11, 2013, 05:28:18 PM »

What house is this? Is it in the Crimea?

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 11, 2013, 06:07:56 PM »
I couldn't tell you what house it is, but I'm quite sure it's the Crimea. But I must ask, Bryndis, how would you happen to come across the photo of the house on the left, and how, other than by great  memory , would you tie it to the Grand Duchess in the right hand photo? Other than by the distinctive swan fountain, I mean?

Very sharp on your part, I must say.

And is that Anastasia or Marie there? I initially thought Anastasia, but now I'm not sure.
Rodney G.

Offline Bryndis

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 11, 2013, 08:37:33 PM »
Well! I've been doing a lot of "Now and then" photos lately.
I came across this house while I was browsing the Beinecke albums and wanted to know more about it, where it was and if it still exists or not.
I'm not sure what you're asking by that second question....I thought it was the same swan :/
I thought it was Maria...I might be wrong...the photo was in my 'Maria' folder....doesn't prove anything though.

I've also been wondering if this is the same fountain. They look like they're dressed for the Crimea.

Offline Katya_C

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 11, 2013, 10:54:40 PM »
Well! I've been doing a lot of "Now and then" photos lately.
I came across this house while I was browsing the Beinecke albums and wanted to know more about it, where it was and if it still exists or not.
I'm not sure what you're asking by that second question....I thought it was the same swan :/
I thought it was Maria...I might be wrong...the photo was in my 'Maria' folder....doesn't prove anything though.

I've also been wondering if this is the same fountain. They look like they're dressed for the Crimea.

That's Emperor Nicholas II's little hunting cabin in Kozmodemyansk, Russia. Two photos of him sitting on the balcony of the cabin can be seen in Beinecke's album #3, page 13 photo's #1000098 & 1000100. The title of the collection of photos is "A trip to Kazmandemiansk - The Emperor's little hunting cabin. 1914-15, Kozmodemyansk, Russia." And yes, IMHO, that is the same fountain, take a look at photo #1000104 on the same page in Beinecke and you can see the Grand Duchesses dress is identical (I don't know if that's Maria).

Katya

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 12, 2013, 01:33:25 PM »
Correct -- those were most probably taken on May 23rd or May 26th 1914, when Nicholas' diary mentions that he (Emperor) visited the Kozmodemyanskii's Convent with his daughters in the mountains of Crimea. It was one warm spring day.

P.S. Bryndis, you have an excellent eye, I dare to notice. :-)
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 12, 2013, 07:35:25 PM »
It's Maria.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Kassafrass

• Boyar
  • Give my love to all who remember me.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #324 on: October 30, 2013, 01:34:43 PM »
So I've been trying to put a name to a face for a while now, but every single time I look at the photo I see a different girl. So, which Grand Duchess is this? My first thought was Maria, but then the more I looked I saw Olga and when I opened it today I even saw Anastasia!

Also if you've got a year, location etc I would appreciate it! : )
"Austria declared war on us. Bastards." - Olga Nikolaevna
deviantArt: http://poison-ivy-alice.deviantart.com

Offline KarinK

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 30, 2013, 02:27:48 PM »
It's Maria. I believe the photo was dated 1913 in an article but I doubted that because Maria's hair seems to be up and now I'm pretty sure they got it wrong because there's a shot of this same group from a different angle among the coloured wartime photos. So it must be 1915-1916. I don't know the location, but just as a guess, it looks pretty similar to some photos I have of Maria, Anastasia and Alexei that were described as having been taken at Peterhof.

Offline matushka

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 30, 2013, 03:02:42 PM »
Seems to be Maria in Peterhof, 1915. Maria or Anastasia, I have suddenly a doubt.

Offline matushka

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 30, 2013, 03:28:39 PM »
I have found the right day in Nicolas's diary. 5 July 1915. Here is the entry in russian:
Очень жаркий день. Были у обедни. Завтракал Н. П. Саблин (деж.). В 1.45 поехал с ним, Алексеем, Мари и Анастасией в Ропшу. Погуляли в саду и осмотрели дворец. Затем поехали в Петергоф. С какою радостью все мы увидели море! Погулял по Александрии и выкупался в море в воде 19. Алексей катался в двойке. Прошло два ливня, пока пили молоко и ели фрукты в нашем доме. Обошел все комнаты. В 6.20 уехали в Царское Село, куда прибыли в 7 час.

"Very hot day. Attended the liturgy. N.P. Sablin had lunch. At 1.45pm I went with him, Alexei, Marie and Anastasia to Ropcha (Antonina posted a picture yesterday). We walked in the garden and visited the palace. Then we went to Peterhof. What a joyce to see the sea! We walked in Alexandria and I bathed in the sea, the water had 19. Alexei took a cannot. It rained twice when we were drinking milk and eating fruits in our house. Walked in all rooms. At 6.20 we went back to Tsarskoe Selo. Were there at 7 o'clock."

Offline Kassafrass

• Boyar
  • Give my love to all who remember me.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #328 on: October 30, 2013, 06:38:35 PM »
I'm guessing with the wider face and the hair being up that it is most likely Maria then?

Thank you for that diary entry matushka : D gives even further insight into what they were doing that day and such.
"Austria declared war on us. Bastards." - Olga Nikolaevna
deviantArt: http://poison-ivy-alice.deviantart.com

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 30, 2013, 10:17:08 PM »
It's Maria. (The skirt length eliminates Anastasia.)
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King