Author Topic: Help with Identification, Translations, Finding a Photo  (Read 151533 times)

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Identification, Translations, Finding a Photo
« Reply #375 on: December 09, 2013, 09:45:15 PM »
This one is tough (Olga?) but I hope it'll someday turn up in high quality, since it might be another glimpse of what the girls' rooms looked like in wartime (the curtains are familiar).

I think Olga, mostly because of this photo:

THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 09, 2013, 09:49:33 PM »
Just realized there's a third photo from that same day:

Looks like Tatiana is at left and Maria on the floor in the middle.

Now if you look closely at the photo KarinK originally posted, you'll see Maria is also there — on the floor behind Olga's feet!
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline KarinK

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 10, 2013, 09:18:41 AM »
Thanks for the help!

Now if you look closely at the photo KarinK originally posted, you'll see Maria is also there — on the floor behind Olga's feet!

When something like this turns up (same place, multiple angles), it's so interesting because it makes even the familiar photo feel new again. Without the photo of the three girls, I don't think it would ever have occurred to me to wonder if one of the blurs in the photo I posted was actually a second girl.

In the clearer photo of Olga, the chaise longue and the chair are beautiful.

Offline Kassafrass

• Boyar
  • Give my love to all who remember me.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #378 on: January 06, 2014, 06:03:30 AM »
Does anyone have any advice on how to date the photos of OTMA at the lazaret?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 06:05:34 AM by Kassafrass »
"Austria declared war on us. Bastards." - Olga Nikolaevna
deviantArt: http://poison-ivy-alice.deviantart.com

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 06, 2014, 02:29:59 PM »

I have advice, though it's not original, and may require more research  and effort than you may wish to make.

At a minimum, there's the eyeball test, that is, judging dates within a fair range based on your knowledge of OTMA's ages and/or (potentially very important) their physical appearance, including dress, hair style, weight, etc. This is obviously an imprecise method.

Another , perhaps  the best, approach , is to identify specific people in the photo, like which of OTMA, officers, nurses , doctors, etc. and compare that info to known occasions of those people being in a specific hospital on a specific date. This can be found in , most frequently, the IF diaries and letters, but also in those of the patients, nurses, doctors, or others who can confirm presence on a particular date. And even parties who weren't present on a given date will sometimes mention somewhere in their writing, contemporary or later, that so-and-so did or said something at a particular lazaret on a specific date. There really is an enormous quantity of written material to explore in this area.

Of course, this is just the beginning. You would want to know what these people present in the hospitals actually looked like, so that you can recognise them and place them on site.

And it would be helpful to be able to differentiate between the different hospitals, both their interiors and exteriors.

All this may seem daunting ,but is in fact doable, given sufficient interest and time on your part, not to mention simply expanding your knowledge and familiarity  right here on these relevant Forum boards. And the whole task becomes both easier and more rewarding over time.
Rodney G.

Offline Mandie, the Gothic Empress

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Olga.Tatiana.Maria.Anastasia + Alexei
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
« Reply #380 on: January 17, 2014, 05:15:59 PM »

In one of my Russian books this photo is labeled as " Queen Victoria of Great Britain and her granddaughter Princess Alix of Hesse". I don't think so
I think it's Princess Karl of Hesse (née  Elisabeth of Prussia) with one of her grand children, possibly a Battenberg? What do you all think? Since I don't think it's Alix nor one of her sisters. 

Offline Veronica

• Graf
  • Et Si Omnes Ego Non
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 17, 2014, 05:30:42 PM »
That's Queen Marie of Hanover with her granddaughter Marie Louise, the future wife of Max of Baden.

Offline Mandie, the Gothic Empress

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Olga.Tatiana.Maria.Anastasia + Alexei
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
« Reply #382 on: January 17, 2014, 06:33:54 PM »
Ah I see thanks, the book was way more off then me as it's a Hanoverian royal not a Hessian royal in a Russian book about the imperial Russian family. As a Hessian  royal would make a lot more sense the  a Hanoverian royal.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #383 on: January 17, 2014, 08:52:38 PM »
Yes, Veronica is 100% correct in the identification. I saw that mislabel once too and was like 'huh?'.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline mishaxenia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 21, 2014, 12:08:40 PM »
Hi, a photo of lady in waiting of the empress Alexandra. I think the countess Mengden or another ?

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh632/misha311/IMG_20140521_0001_zps7387a0b0.jpg

Offline Inok Nikolai

• Graf
  • Irkutsk, Russia 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 06, 2014, 10:02:11 AM »

I have advice, though it's not original, and may require more research  and effort than you may wish to make.

At a minimum, there's the eyeball test, that is, judging dates within a fair range based on your knowledge of OTMA's ages and/or (potentially very important) their physical appearance, including dress, hair style, weight, etc. This is obviously an imprecise method.

Another , perhaps  the best, approach , is to identify specific people in the photo, like which of OTMA, officers, nurses , doctors, etc. and compare that info to known occasions of those people being in a specific hospital on a specific date. This can be found in , most frequently, the IF diaries and letters, but also in those of the patients, nurses, doctors, or others who can confirm presence on a particular date. And even parties who weren't present on a given date will sometimes mention somewhere in their writing, contemporary or later, that so-and-so did or said something at a particular lazaret on a specific date. There really is an enormous quantity of written material to explore in this area.

Of course, this is just the beginning. You would want to know what these people present in the hospitals actually looked like, so that you can recognise them and place them on site.

And it would be helpful to be able to differentiate between the different hospitals, both their interiors and exteriors.

All this may seem daunting ,but is in fact doable, given sufficient interest and time on your part, not to mention simply expanding your knowledge and familiarity  right here on these relevant Forum boards. And the whole task becomes both easier and more rewarding over time.

Speaking of patients at the hospital:

We are trying to find more information on a person with the surname “Padalko” who perhaps was a soldier / wounded patient in Tsarskoe Selo. His sister or wife may have been a sister of mercy. He / or she is mentioned only by surname in some Letters from Captivity. We do not have much more to go on.

Thanks.
инок Николай

Offline Antonina

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • saltkrakan.livejournal
« Reply #386 on: September 14, 2014, 11:11:45 PM »
12 May 1916, aboard the battleship "Empress Maria". Please has you got some other version of this photo or some others from the same session?
...Столетья поплывут из темноты.

Offline KarinK

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 15, 2014, 02:32:39 AM »
That lovely photo was new to me, these are the ones I had:

Offline Antonina

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • saltkrakan.livejournal
« Reply #388 on: September 15, 2014, 03:14:22 AM »
Thank you!!!
...Столетья поплывут из темноты.

Offline Kassafrass

• Boyar
  • Give my love to all who remember me.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #389 on: January 11, 2015, 02:26:20 AM »
Hello all. It has been quite some time since I've been adding to my Romanov photo collection and my year identification skills (which were never terribly sharp in the first place) have gotten even worse!

My first thought when looking at these photos was 1914. However, Tatiana's hair doesn't match what we know from other 1914 photos. 1915, then?

http://nd06.jxs.cz/768/126/cb514c5730_99972158_o2.jpg
http://nd06.jxs.cz/446/298/766169d190_99972155_o2.jpg
"Austria declared war on us. Bastards." - Olga Nikolaevna
deviantArt: http://poison-ivy-alice.deviantart.com