Author Topic: Henry VIII's wives and their physical attributes  (Read 57551 times)

Offline stacey

• Boyar
  • I wanna be a princess when I grow up!!
    • View Profile
    • Knowitall
Re: Henry VIII's wives and their physical attribut
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2005, 04:42:12 AM »
Sorry, Grand Duchess Kira, I guess I went a little beyond honest to maybe, well--BRUTALLY honest?? ;D But I have always wondered at Henry's taste in women! Exactly what DID constitute feminine beauty, in his eyes?? I would like to think that maybe he chose some of his wives on the basis of things like character, or personality, or similarity of interests, or something like that, and that maybe he wasn't fixated on beauty. But I have my doubts. Yes, other things did factor in, such as political considerations, but all in all Henry demanded beauty in a wife. It just amazes me what he considered beautiful!! I just HOPE that is NOT a picture of poor little Katherine Howard--surely she was prettier than that! Anyway I do feel sorry for her, she was extremely young and I think she got a raw deal all the way around. Yes, she was kind of flighty--okay, maybe a LOT flighty--and apparently she did carry on right under Henry's nose, which was extremely unwise to say the least--but I do feel great sympathy for her. She certainly didn't deserve to die. I think that was Henry's ego at work again. BUT as for Jane Seymour--oh my heavens--THAT FACE!!!!!!! :o ;D
Sola Nobilitas Virtus

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2005, 04:45:47 AM »
Oh dear.  ;D ;D

Well, I don't think Henry was totally looks obssessed. Katherine of Aragon was someone he had known since he was a child, and probably had affection and respect for when he married her, if he wasn't in love with her.

As for Anne Boleyn, we must remember that even though we consider her pretty, at the time, she was NEVER called pretty. It was more likely her provocative and - for want of a better word - sexy attitude that attracted Henry, as well as her witty conversation. ;)
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline stacey

• Boyar
  • I wanna be a princess when I grow up!!
    • View Profile
    • Knowitall
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2005, 04:46:47 AM »
Hi again, Prince! Yes, I think you're exactly right about Jane's main attraction for Henry. He had clearly had it--at least for the moment--with attractive, sexy, dramatic, alluring, volatile, intelligent females. So he picked Jane. But I gotta say, if Jane had been any more colorless, she would have been invisible!! ;D
Sola Nobilitas Virtus

PssMarieAmelie

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2005, 04:52:33 AM »
Hi again, Prince! Yes, I think you're exactly right about Jane's main attraction for Henry. He had clearly had it--at least for the moment--with attractive, sexy, dramatic, alluring, volatile, intelligent females. So he picked Jane. But I gotta say, if Jane had been any more colorless, she would have been invisible!! ;D

haha ;D I think Jane attracted him because of her demure-ness. IMO she was pretty ugly. The poor thing..

IMO Anna von Cleves was the prettiest.

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2005, 04:54:43 AM »
But I gotta say, if Jane had been any more colorless, she would have been invisible!! ;D

;D ;D ;DLol, Yes, I have to agree, Jane looks about exciting as natural yoghurt.  :P ;D
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2005, 05:07:35 AM »
And son or no son, Henry would have been tired and bored to death with mousy and IMO crafty, Jane within a few years. He wouldn't have consigned her to the scrap heap, but I think he would have found himself a glittering beauty (perhaps not unlike Anne Boleyn) to entertain and scintillate/stimulate him.
Member of the Richard III Society

PssMarieAmelie

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2005, 05:10:19 AM »
And son or no son, Henry would have been tired and bored to death with mousy and IMO crafty, Jane within a few years. He wouldn't have consigned her to the scrap heap, but I think he would have found himself a glittering beauty (perhaps not unlike Anne Boleyn) to entertain and scintillate/stimulate him.

I agree there. IMO he would've gotten "out of it" as soon as he could within a few years.

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2005, 05:14:59 AM »
I don't think he would have "dumped" or divorced Jane, rather he would have kept her as the good little wife who would have re-produced every couple of years until she wore out.......sheesh, what a thought :-/

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2005, 05:16:07 AM »
What a man he was!!!  ;D ;D :P
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2005, 05:25:29 AM »
< sigh> ;D

ferngully

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2005, 11:34:40 AM »
something called a mistress........many of them. not a concept that was unknown to him ;D
selina                   xxxxxxxxx

Offline ilyala

• Velikye Knyaz
  • il y a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2006, 06:32:03 PM »
a somewhat prettier picture of jane :)

'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya

Offline ilyala

• Velikye Knyaz
  • il y a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2006, 05:48:07 AM »
while older men can father children, it's still harder than younger men... that and the fact that i'm sure the consummation happened very often ;)
'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2006, 07:47:32 AM »
Was she though? While she may have been quite free with her favours before marriage to Henry, Starkey has transcribed the abstract of Culpepper's interrogation. Guess what, they never had sex. They shared sexual banter rather than anything physical.

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2006, 09:32:41 AM »
I think Antonia Fraser also mentions that Katherine H. knew 'how to please a man' without getting pregnant.
-Sherlock Holmes