Author Topic: Rostchakovsky  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Gunnar

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Rostchakovsky
« on: December 25, 2005, 04:23:45 AM »
There is a certain Rostchakovsky (Alt. spelling Roshchakovsky) who is referenced several times in the Tsaritas letters to the Tsar in November 1915. He was a noble and a high ranking Naval Officer who emigrated with his family to Norway during the revolution, but returned to Russia in the late twenties, whereafter his fate is uncertain. This is my great grandfather, and I hold quite some information about his life and his ancestry, but I am missing some parts. I would be happy if someone has any further information about him.

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
Re: Rostchakovsky
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 09:23:19 AM »
The story of Michael Roshchakovsky (1876- 1938 ), including his participation in the Russo-Japanese war, friendship with Nicholas II, emigration to Norway, return to USSR and imprisonment in the Butyrskaya prison, was told by Lev Razgon in his book. According to Razgon, Roshchakovsky had no children.

Offline Gunnar

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 09:37:22 AM »
Hello Mike,

Thank you for the reply. Yes i have read the book - very interesting - I found i t by chance by searching his name on the internet and came across a New York Times review of the book. Several elements of the story in the book are however not correct. We suspect he may have said that he had no children in order to 'protect' his emigrated family. Some other parts are also not correct according to our information, for example the part about him having stayed in Sweden for period. We do not know how he ended his life, but there are some weak pointers that he may have gone on to a prison camp in Karaganda. Do you know if there are name lists of the deceased in the camps to be obtained from anywhere?

Gunnar

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 11:00:07 AM »
Gunnar,
This biography of Roshchakovsky states that he died in a Karaganda labor camp. It also mentions him having a daughter.

The Memorial Society's website contains a page on Kazakhstan. One of the volumes shown relates to the Karaganda camps and contains data on 2,800 persons who died in those camps. As far as I know, it only exists in a printed format. However, there is a journalist in Karaganda who is deeply involved in all matters relating to the Karlag [the Karaganda Labor Camp of the NKVD/MGB]. Her hame is Ekaterina Kuznetsova, and her email seems to be keb@mail.kz . I wouldn't write her in English, primarily because of a probable misspelling of your great grandfather's surname. Can you write in Russian?