Author Topic: Raspoetin by Andrej Amalrik  (Read 3757 times)

Offline kaatje

• View Profile
Raspoetin by Andrej Amalrik
« on: August 03, 2004, 02:46:38 PM »
I have a book that is a bit of a mystery to me, I bought it in Amsterdam so it's in Dutch but was originally writen in Russian and also published in Frrench.

'Raspoetin' by Andrej Amalrik pub in French as 'Raspoutine' Du Seuil, 1982.  It 's quite strange really as the author died before he could finish it, some 10 chapters short of the end, but it was still published.

The publishers decided to add appendices to fill it out, one of which is an excerpt from Felix Yusopov's 'De moord op Raspoetin' (the death of Rasputin) taken from the book 'Het einde van Raspoetin' (the end of Rasputin)

Has anybody else heard of this book, got it or read it? I haven't actually got round to reading it yet and was wondering why it is not usually mentioned, maybe is not any good without the bibliographic details of endnotes.
It seems so strange to me  for the book to be published unfinished.

Katie
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 05:41:55 PM by Sarushka »

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
Re: Has anyone else seen/read/ own this?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 02:00:48 PM »
Andrei Amalrik was one of the first and most courageous Soviet dissidents. Son of a well-known historian, Amalrik himself studied history in Moscow University - until he was expelled for his "wrong views on the ancient Russian history".  He was exiled to Siberia, repeatedly imprisoned and eventually forced to emigrate. His most famous, miraculously prophetic book was Will the Soviet Union Survive until 1984?. Remember, he asked this question in 1970 when the USSR was universally perceived as an eternal formidable super-power - and only erred by 7 years!

Amalrik began writing a book on Rasputin at the Hoover Institute but left if unfinished: in 1980 he died in a strange car accident in Spain... At that time scholarly and popular works on the last Russian imperial family and on Rasputin weren't in such ample supply as today, and that probably explains the publishers' decision to conclude Amalrik's book with Felix's memoirs.

Offline kaatje

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 05:08:31 PM »
Yes and it was published in Dutch because that was Amalriks country of residence. I'm just wondering if it has been published in English since my Dutch copy has been published, in 1988?

And while speaking of the Dutch, there was a short story writen in the early 1890's called Majestiet (Majesty) by Louis Couperus, a famous and successfully translated author.

It is fiction but uses Nicholas II, as Tsarevich for the characteristics of a prince of a fictional land just like Russia.  I'm not sure if this has been translated into English but it may have been translated into French, I would have to check but cannot get access onto the website yet.

I'm sure it would be of interest to people wanting to know how Nicholas was perceived before becoming Tsar by the public outside of Russia.

Offline Katya04

• a galaxy far far away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 08:42:00 PM »
Sounds like the commies rubbed him out!

Offline kaatje

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 03:14:51 PM »
Yes I bought it in De Slegte also, paperback with a grainy/pale green photo of Rasputin on the front.  I ran that particular branch of De Slegte dry of books on the Romanovs when  I was there (for over a year), but they soon stocked up once I left  ;)

To Katya04, Amalrik was on his way to European dissident deligation in Madrid, when he was killed, so you never know!

Katie

Offline kaatje

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 01:56:44 PM »
Having looked into Couperus' book 'Majesteit' published in 1893, I have found out that there were 3 English translations done, the most recent in 1921.  Not sure about availability but here are the bibliographic details:

Couperus, Louis, 1893, Majesty, (trans) Teixeira de Mattos, Alexander + Dowson, Ernest , 1894, T. Fisher Unwin.

Couperus, Louis, 1893, Majesty. A Novel, Teixeira de Mattos, Alexander + Dowson, Ernest , 1895, D Appleton and Co.

Couperus, Louis, 1893, Majesty. Newly translated. With a preface by Stephen McKenna , Teixeira de Mattos, Alexander , 1921, Dodd Mead and Co

I hope this is interesting, Couperus was what many think of as the Dutch 'Oscar Wilde'

Katie

Edited to changed publishers and translaters around, Oops
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by kaatje »

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 02:46:27 PM »
Well, Kaatje, you've piqued my interest, since I'm a tremendous Oscar Wilde fan!  :D  (The interest already being there due to Nicholas, of course . . . )