Author Topic: Silk Woven Portraits of Russian Royal Family  (Read 5267 times)

Offline sparky1

• View Profile
Silk Woven Portraits of Russian Royal Family
« on: February 11, 2011, 02:58:22 PM »
Hello - I am new to this forum and this post may seem a tad obscure. I am a collector of silk woven portraits and pictures produced by Thomas Stevens of Coventry, England in the period 1880-1900. It is known that Stevens produced images of the Czar & Czarina in 1896 but there are other silks that were produced for the continental market that were not named. I think these are Alexander II and III but confirmation would be appreciated. There are further silks of two ladies - possibly Russian or otherwise more likely to to be Austrian or German. Any help in identifying these would be terrific. Many thanks - oh, and if you can tell me how to download the images from iPhoto that would make me very happy!

aleksandr pavlovich

Re: Silk Woven Portraits of Russian Royal Family
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 03:50:01 PM »
   Hello, "sparky1", and may I welcome you to the Forum?  I know of the Stevengraph work/s, but it has been quite a while since I have seen any examples, thus I'm afraid that I cannot contribute much to your inquiries. There are, however, many members here who have a surprising knowledge of royal collectibles (under which this or a similiar thread may more suitably listed), and most likely will be able to add more on your subject, just as others far less "technically-challenged" than I, may be of help on the downloading question.
   I do wish you luck in your collecting, and again, welcome to the Forum!  Regards, Aleksandr Pavlovich.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 04:02:33 PM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline sparky1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 10:47:35 AM »
http://www3.snapfish.co.uk/snapfishuk/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=11515589011/a=7643082011_7643082011/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfishuk/
Oh dear - I'm still having trouble with the images - here is the link to snapfish. The first two images are of Nicholas and Alexandra (and have the date 1896 woven in). I think the next two are Alexander II and III (but confirmation would be appreciated) but I have no idea as to the last two - Augusta Victoria perhaps is one? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Offline sparky1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 12:15:17 PM »
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 12:24:13 PM by sparky1 »

Offline sparky1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 12:22:34 PM »
Last try!

I think this is Alexander II or III, but confirmation would be appreciated:

and this is the other Alexander:

Offline sparky1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 12:23:48 PM »
And these are the two unknown ladies:

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 12:27:02 PM »
Yes, IMO you are correct.  The two male monarchs are respectively the Emperor Alexander II and then Alexander III. As to the females, I have no idea.  Regards,  AP.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 12:35:13 PM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline sparky1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 01:52:55 PM »
Thank you for that. I am worried my two unidentified ladies in silk may remain unidentified! The silks were woven, we think around the mid 1880s (the pair of Czar and Czarina - not illustrated - have the date 1896 woven in the picture). My ladies are probably not Russian - German or Austrian maybe. One has a likeness to Augusta Victoria I think. Someone speculated one being Princess Hermine of Schonaich-Carolath but I believe that she would be a child when these were produced.
I remain hopeful! Best wishes to all - Sparky

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 05:45:21 PM »
And these are the two unknown ladies:

The lady on the righthand side looks very much like Princess Ekaterina Dolgorukaya, AII's second wife.

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/