Author Topic: Queen Victoria's Family  (Read 152657 times)

Offline gem_10

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: Queen Victoria's Family
« Reply #210 on: August 13, 2007, 01:18:40 AM »
The future George V is the figure furthest to the left. Beside him is Wilhelm II. Slightly to the front of the Kaiser are Ducky and Missy of Edinburgh. The boy in the kilt is their brother, Alfred, while the man with his hand on his shoulder is their father, Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh. The woman at the piano, closest to the foreground is their mother, Marie, Duchess of Edinburgh. The man beside the sofa, looking at the book is Arthur, Duke of Connaught. The head beside his head is Louise of Wales. The women next to her are Maud of Wales, Alix of Hesse, and Toria of Wales. Edward, Prince of Wales is in the black uniform behind the sofa. The small child beside him is Sophie of Prussia. Two people to the right is Princess Beatrice holding Ena of Battenberg. The man behind them with the mustache is Henry of Battenberg. Grand Duke Serge is diagonally left from him, very much in the background. Friedrich III is at far right in light blue uniform. Beside him is Eddy of Wales. The older of the two children beside Queen Victoria on the sofa is Margaret of Connaught. The child she is holding is her brother, Arthur. In front of them are Helen of Albany with her children Alice and Charlie. Two people to the right of Queen Victoria is her daughter, Victoria. Next to/behind her is her sister, Helena. The three men directly behind them in the background are Lorne (Louise's husband), Henry of Battenberg, and Helena's husband, Prince Christian.

Thanks Taren!  :) The 2 women standing behind Queen Victoria, are those Louise of Connaught and Alix of Wales? The lady sitting on the far right in yellow dress is Victoria of Hesse with her daughter Alice.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 13, 2007, 03:19:44 AM »
Maybe the Royal Collections might have them ?  ???

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #212 on: August 13, 2007, 11:42:19 AM »
We once ID'd every person in the portrait--did that thread disappear?  :P
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #213 on: August 13, 2007, 11:49:17 AM »
The future George V is the figure furthest to the left. Beside him is Wilhelm II. Slightly to the front of the Kaiser are Ducky and Missy of Edinburgh. The boy in the kilt is their brother, Alfred, while the man with his hand on his shoulder is their father, Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh. The woman at the piano, closest to the foreground is their mother, Marie, Duchess of Edinburgh. The man beside the sofa, looking at the book is Arthur, Duke of Connaught. The head beside his head is Louise of Wales. The women next to her are Maud of Wales, Alix of Hesse, and Toria of Wales. Edward, Prince of Wales is in the black uniform behind the sofa. The small child beside him is Sophie of Prussia. Two people to the right is Princess Beatrice holding Ena of Battenberg. The man behind them with the mustache is Henry of Battenberg. Grand Duke Serge is diagonally left from him, very much in the background. Friedrich III is at far right in light blue uniform. Beside him is Eddy of Wales. The older of the two children beside Queen Victoria on the sofa is Margaret of Connaught. The child she is holding is her brother, Arthur. In front of them are Helen of Albany with her children Alice and Charlie. Two people to the right of Queen Victoria is her daughter, Victoria. Next to/behind her is her sister, Helena. The three men directly behind them in the background are Lorne (Louise's husband), Henry of Battenberg, and Helena's husband, Prince Christian.

Thanks Taren!  :) The 2 women standing behind Queen Victoria, are those Louise of Connaught and Alix of Wales? The lady sitting on the far right in yellow dress is Victoria of Hesse with her daughter Alice.

On floor: Sandra & Beatrice
Far left: George (with Wilhelm’s son Wilhelm), Wilhelm, Ducky, Missy, Marie (with Irene) at piano, Alfred Jr with his father (who has Moretta next to him) who is facing Ella. Dona is seated next to Ella with Grand Duke Louis next to her. It is the Schleswig-Holstein girls (Thora then Marie Louise) by the wall and their brother Christle silhouetted in the window. The Princess of Wales is standing in the foreground next to Duke Arthur with the Wales girls, Louise & Maud (with Alix & Ernie of Hesse in between Maud & Toria) then Toria in the middle. In the very center is the Prince of Wales. Helen and Alice Albany (with Charlie) are presenting flowers to Queen Victoria. The Connaught princesses are seated next to Queen Victoria as is Vicky (with Feo) and Helena. On the right side, there is Mossy & Sophie (seated) with Serge & henry (soon to be brothers-in-law) in the far back. Beatrice (holding Drino) and Henry are showing the baby off to Charly. Louise Connaught is with Arthur Jr with Louise (Argyll) next to her. Over her shoulder is the Marquis of Lorne, Prince Louis Battenberg, Prince Christian, Prince Bernhard (Charly's husband) with Prince Albert of Schleswig-Holstein. Fritz is on the far right in his white uniform, while Eddy is talking to Victoria Battenberg who has her daughter Alice at her feet.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 10:01:42 PM by grandduchessella »

Offline gem_10

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 13, 2007, 09:44:31 PM »
Thank you gdssella!  :)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #215 on: August 13, 2007, 10:15:26 PM »
You're welcome. I was pretty sure in all my IDs but because some differed from Taren's, I went and dug out a key that I had. I didn't change any of my IDs but I took out the couple 'I thinks' once I had verified them.

Taren--Ena hadn't yet been born when the portrait was done--Beatrice was expecting her during the painting. Arthur Jr isn't the child on the sofa, it's Patsy. Arthur Jr is with his mother.

The paintings, even taking into consideration that many sitters were done individually still caused family strife. The Marquis of Lorne originally had a more prominent place since he was being painted in his very picturesque Highland dress but that didn't go over well. The Princess of Wales refused to be placed next to Fritz in the portrait due to her hatred of all things Prussian. The Duke of Connaught (at that time rather put out by the favoritism shown to Henry & Beatrice) stated he would rather be left out of the portrait then put near them.

Incidentally, Vicky painted the flowers shown in her hair herself while she and Louise both had consultations with Tuxen about Bertie's nose.

Beatrice had a copy made of her family grouping (herself, Henry & Drino) while the Hesse family also had a copy done of their family members. There was also one made of Queen Victoria with the Albany & Connaught children.

Some early versions of the full portrait (without all the principals) are in Denmark (public & private hands).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 10:17:32 PM by grandduchessella »

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 13, 2007, 10:43:03 PM »
I have never seen the Hesse version. maybe it was destroyed with the Neus Palais in Darmstadt ?  ???

Offline Taren

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • The Chick Manifesto
« Reply #217 on: August 13, 2007, 10:53:44 PM »
You're welcome. I was pretty sure in all my IDs but because some differed from Taren's, I went and dug out a key that I had. I didn't change any of my IDs but I took out the couple 'I thinks' once I had verified them.

Taren--Ena hadn't yet been born when the portrait was done--Beatrice was expecting her during the painting. Arthur Jr isn't the child on the sofa, it's Patsy. Arthur Jr is with his mother.

Thanks, Grandduchessella. Regarding Ena, I was going by Theo Aronson's abridged key of the portrait from Grandmama of Europe.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 13, 2007, 10:55:45 PM »
Yes...hard to find her there.  ;)

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
  • Queen Mary: Visions of Grandeur
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 18, 2007, 07:10:36 PM »
I hope this belongs here. Anyone have a better version of this picture? Thanks!

Mary R.
"I shall be very disappointed," she remarked for the record, "if George doesn't come up again." Queen Mary upon hearing her husband was to ride in a submarine.

When asked the question of when her eldest son would return to the country Queen Mary said, "Not until he comes to my funeral."

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 19, 2007, 12:01:10 AM »
Yes..it is a family group. A good one too. The Prince of Wales not no eye contact with either parent.  :(

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #221 on: February 16, 2008, 02:22:18 PM »

Vickie: 

With Wilhelm:

Bertie's back:

Offline eejm

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 16, 2008, 04:24:05 PM »
Does anyone know the reason why a picture was taken of Bertie's back?  :)

Offline gogm

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • Grand Ladies
« Reply #223 on: February 16, 2008, 06:19:11 PM »

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #224 on: February 17, 2008, 03:10:36 AM »