Author Topic: Wish lists for 'Book Scouts'  (Read 3922 times)

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Wish lists for 'Book Scouts'
« on: January 05, 2006, 10:08:12 PM »
Hey, folks --

How about we post our Russian/Romanov/royalty book wish lists here, and maybe we can help each other track them down? I know I've been helped immensely by fellow forum members in my book searches this last year, and I'm pleased to say I've discovered a few sweet deals for others as well. I'd like very much for this thread to become a sort of companion to the Duplicate Books thread. If we all keep our eyes open, I'm sure we can help our friends fill their bookshelves!

Here's what I'm on the lookout for:
Le Tseravitch, Enfant Martyr
Romanov Autumn, by Zeepvat
Toys of the Tsar's Children

If you see these anywhere for a reasonable price, please PM me!

Book Scouts, Unite!  ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by sarahelizabethii »
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
Re: Wish lists for 'Book Scouts'
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 05:49:41 PM »
Romanov Autumn is easier to get than it was before. You can buy it directly from Amazon, but it says that it will take 3-4 weeks to ship. There are 2 sellers currently selling copies though.

Toys of the Tsar's Children.....that will be extremely, extremely difficult to find. I got lucky in that I received my copy from a member of this website, hikaru, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't have another. Hikaru? No website or bookstore sells it or has copies as far as I know. Originally, when I was first looking for this book, Gilbert from Gibertsroyalbooks.com also told me that this book was not available for sale, even in Russia. The exhibition was a number of years ago apparently so this is not so unexpected. If you do manage to find it, it will either be expensive or someone will want quite a good trade. I will surely look out for it though.

I am currently in search of:
The Complete Wartime Correspondence of Nicholas and Alexandra. by Joseph T. Fuhrmann.

If anyone can find a reasonably priced copy of this I would be grateful.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Ortino »

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 06:35:37 PM »
I haven't had great feedback about amazon.com's special order department, but at that price what have I got to lose? I'll place the order and see if they really do deliver. Thanks!

Thanks to an AP member, I just ordered myself a very reasonably priced copy of Complete Wartime Correspondence this week, so I'll keep my eyes open for you, Ortino. They're few & far between, but it is possible! PM me with a ballpark figure you're willing to pay, and I'll let you know what I find.

Toys of the Tsar's Children is a tall order, I know, but I definitely won't find one if I don't look!  ;)
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Marialana

• Boyar
  • Good Grief!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 08:43:25 PM »
I think this is a really good idea - an excellent way to help each other find some treasures! :)
The only books I'm really on the hunt for right now are
Pered Rasstrelom , and "Rasputine" by Spiridovich. I check addall.com, panrus.com, etc. quite regularly for both, but so far it's been in vain. The search carries on, however!
I will definitely keep my eyes open for any books mentioned here by fellow posters :)

Agneschen

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 10:23:40 PM »
I am desperate to find a copie of

- Das Familienalbum von Kaiser Franz Joseph und Kaiserin Elisabeth by G. Praschl-Bichler (1996)

It seems that this book is out of print though it was not published that long ago. I have been looking for used copies but all of no avail up to now. I know it is a not book about the Romanovs but royalty all the same. If anyone could help me locate it, I would be very grateful !
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Agneschen »

Agneschen

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 10:35:19 PM »
Hey, folks --

Here's what I'm on the lookout for:
Le Tseravitch, Enfant Martyr

If you see these anywhere for a reasonable price, please PM me!

Here is the only link I have yet been able to find Sarushka :
http://www.livre-rare-book.com/cgi-bin/libbcgi
(type "eugénie de grèce" in recherche rapide).

The book can be ordered from a French library but apparently they ship overseas. The book costs 30 € (about £ 20 / I do not know what that makes in dollars ... maybe someone can help ?). The site is in French but if you are interested and need some help with the language, just let me know.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Agneschen »

Offline Joy0318

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 11:10:54 AM »
I am currently in search of:
The Complete Wartime Correspondence of Nicholas and Alexandra. by Joseph T. Fuhrmann.

If anyone can find a reasonably priced copy of this I would be grateful.

I would love to be able to find a copy of this one myself!

I would also like to be able to find Robert K. Massie's book Journey. I know this is not a book about the Romanovs but someone here likely knows where I might be able to tell me where I could get one. I've been told it's out of print.

I would love to find Le Tsarevitch, Enfant Martyr as well. I don't think it's been translated into English though.

I'll probably think of more later.
A horse is a horse of course of  course
And no one can talk to a horse of course
That is of course unless the horse
Is the famous Mr. Ed.

Offline Marialana

• Boyar
  • Good Grief!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 11:50:31 AM »

I would also like to be able to find Robert K. Massie's book Journey. I know this is not a book about the Romanovs but someone here likely knows where I might be able to tell me where I could get one. I've been told it's out of print.

There are several copies of this book available on addall.com. That's one of my favorite book search sites - I've gotten nearly all my rare ones through them :)

Offline Joy0318

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 12:15:46 PM »
Thanks for the website, Marialana. :) It's one I'll definitely have to check out since most of the books on my wish list are out of print.

Another website the specializes in rare books http:// www.powellsbooks.com. A co-worker told me about it and says he has found several titles there he couldn't find anywhere else.
A horse is a horse of course of  course
And no one can talk to a horse of course
That is of course unless the horse
Is the famous Mr. Ed.

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 10:35:49 AM »

addall searches numerous other sites, including Powell's
Thanks for the website, Marialana. :) It's one I'll definitely have to check out since most of the books on my wish list are out of print.

Another website the specializes in rare books http:// www.powellsbooks.com. A co-worker told me about it and says he has found several titles there he couldn't find anywhere else.

Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2006, 11:13:52 PM »
Romanov Autumn is easier to get than it was before. You can buy it directly from Amazon, but it says that it will take 3-4 weeks to ship. There are 2 sellers currently selling copies though.

FYI: Amazon doesn't seem to be able to get ahold of Romanov Autumn, anymore. I've had it on special order with them for over 6 weeks, and it still hasn't shipped. So, though you're able to place an order, it probably won't ever arrive. They don't appear to realize that the book's out of print.

But -- I just snagged a used paperback copy from abebooks for under $10! (Now I just have to steel myself for the Grand Prince/Princess business...)  ;D

ps: I've managed to get copies of the other books on my wish list -- thanks to everyone who helped me out!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by sarahelizabethii »

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 02:45:29 PM »
How about Romanovs: Love Power and Tragedy? I can't find it in my price range...does anyone know if there's some obscure bookstore that has it relatively cheap?

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2006, 02:52:46 PM »
I do not know what your price range is, Margarita, but Bookfinder has it for just over $50. [and up !]
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2006, 03:19:22 PM »
Thanks! It's on Amazon for about the same price range, so that's two links I can consider. (Before it was $150 on Amazon)

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2006, 03:23:44 PM »
How about Romanovs: Love Power and Tragedy? I can't find it in my price range...does anyone know if there's some obscure bookstore that has it relatively cheap?

Van Hoogstraten in The Hague, Netherlands.