Author Topic: Prince Max of Baden (German Chancellor) and his family  (Read 65932 times)

Offline Bernardino

• Boyar
  • Real, Real, Real, por El-Rei de Portugal!
    • View Profile
Prince Max of Baden (German Chancellor) and his family
« on: January 10, 2006, 11:11:07 AM »
Hello  :)

It is quite unusual what has happened in the Grand Ducal House of Baden, in what concerns to marriages...

Both Margrave Max and his brother Prince Ludwig married Catholic princesses...

Then does anyone know if any of their offspring are Catholic?

Thank you in advance

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
Re: Prince Max of Baden (German Chancellor) and his family
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 09:58:28 AM »
Hello  :)

It is quite unusual what has happened in the Grand Ducal House of Baden, in what concerns to marriages...

Both Margrave Max and his brother Prince Ludwig married Catholic princesses...

Then does anyone know if any of their offspring are Catholic?

Thank you in advance

The children were baptised according to the rites of the Lutheran churches - and those who have married, have married in the Lutheran church.
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Bernardino

• Boyar
  • Real, Real, Real, por El-Rei de Portugal!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 03:43:01 PM »
Oh I see...Thank you Marlene, that says all  ;)ī...

I'd presume Margravine Valerie and Pss Marianne continue Catholic...

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 04:23:29 PM »
Are there any good pictures of Valerie or Marianne?

Emilia

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 01:26:12 PM »
Hi!
To me it seems like as if Prince Max of Baden (1867-1929) was one of the most eligible bachelors of Europe. Princesses like Margarete of Prussia (Vickyīs daughter), Elisabeth Marie of Austria (Franz Josephīs granddaughter), Elena Vladimirovna of Russia and many more wanted to marry him. Why was he so "popular" among these princesses? Was he that good-looking? That weathy? Maybe somebody has some pics? :)

Marie-Liesl

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 02:26:55 PM »
I donīt know about him very much, I first heard of him from you, but there is one pic:

http://www.royaltyguide.nl/images-families/baden/badengranddukes/1867%Maximilian-04.JPG

Marie-Liesl

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 02:36:13 PM »
Oh, from this pic I donīt think he was very beautiful... he married in 1900 Marie Louise, princess of Cumberland, she lived in 1879-1948, there is a pic of her:

http://www.royaltyguide.nl/images-families/welfen/hannover3/1879%20Marie%Luise-02.jpg

Offline rita

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 03:28:22 PM »
Max von Baden was an important politician at the end of WW I. He was the last chancellor in the monarchy. After the war he founded and builded the boarding school " Internat Schloss Salem". one of the best schools in Germany.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 08:21:47 PM »
Yes, poor Mossy was head-over-heels in love with him.  :(  It caused her mother great consternation as she knew that Max, who liked her, didn't feel the same way. Luckily, Max was good friends with Frederick Charles of Hesse, who himself suffered unrequited love for Mossy during her Max infatuation, and this brought the 2 together and 'Fischy' and Mossy had a happy marriage. Ironically, their son Wolfgang married Max's daughter Marie Alexandra.

I suppose Max was considered good-looking, especially by royal standards. He was certainly well-connected and financially well-off. His wife could look forward to being a reigning Grand Duchess and all its benefits but without many of the headaches that came with other positions. He was also very well-educated, intelligent and well-liked. Not a bad catch at all!
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Linnea

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 02:01:54 AM »
Some pics of Max (and family)

I think he was quite good-looking (he really resembled his great-grandfather Nicholas I. as many of his contamporaries noted. And he (Nicholas I.) was said to be the best-looking man of his time). And one has to remember that he is allready 40+ in the pictures above.

Funnily enough, itīs quite hard to find pictures of a young(er) Max (I have only seen one from the engagemnt to Elena Vladimirovna and one at Friedrichshof). Does somebody else know any?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 01:41:29 AM by Svetabel »

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 08:19:35 AM »
Some pics of Max (and family)
Funnily enough, itīs quite hard to find pictures of a young(er) Max (I have only seen one from the engagemnt to Elena Vladimirovna and one at Friedrichshof). Does somebody else know any?

What happened to the engagement with Elena Vladimirovna ?  I have never heard this story before!

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 09:05:21 AM »
He broke it off (I don't know why--maybe the idea of Miechen as a MIL  :) ) much to the consternation of Helen's family. There had even been an engagement photo taken and published so it was a public embarassment. Miechen further embarassed her daughter with her rather desperate attempts to marry her off. Helen fell in love with Nicholas but Miechen thwarted her and kept looking around until it became obvious that no one was going to propose and caved in to Helen's desire to marry the rather poverty-stricken 3rd son of an 'upstart' King.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 08:19:03 PM »
I went through books on the House of Hesse-Kassel. I cannot find much information on Princess Marie Alexandra and her husband Prince Wolfgang of Hesse. I knew that she was the daughter of Prince Max of Baden and a Princess of Hanover (thus granddaughter to Thyra of Cumberland and cousin to Queen Frederica of Greece and sister-in-law to Princess Theodora of Greece, who married her only brother). Other than her relations, nothing much was written about her. Any info is welcome.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 08:48:09 PM »
She died after an Allied bombing raid at Frankfurt am Main. She married Prince Wolfgang of Hesse on September 17 1924. Her husband was the technical 'Crown Prince' of Finland during the period that his father Prince Friedrich Charles of Hesse (married to Vicky's daughter Mossy) was 'King' of Finland. Her paternal grandmother was Princess Maria of Leuchtenberg , daughter of Maximilian, Duke of Leuchtenberg and Grand Duchess Maria Nicolaievna of Russia.

Her full name was Marie Alexandra Thyra Victoria Louise Carola Hilda.

I have 2 pictures of the wedding--one was a postcard of the couple. Guests included: Mossy (obviously), Queen Sophie of Greece (in her grey widow's robe), Ernie & Onor, Thyra (Ernst having died the year before), Max Baden, the GD & GDss of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (she being an aunt of the bride) and Victoria Louise & Ernst August and the groom's brothers.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 09:51:45 PM by grandduchessella »

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 08:57:24 PM »
Thanks for the info. BTW how did she met her husband ? When did they get married ? I never saw weddiing photos of this pair, although there are quite a few of Christoph's and Philipp's weddings...Did Thyra attend her grandaughter's wedding ?