Author Topic: Border Guard of Imperial Russia  (Read 1890 times)

Offline sean_rr

• View Profile
Border Guard of Imperial Russia
« on: January 11, 2006, 06:22:28 AM »
Hi,
People were so helpful last time I asked some questions, so I have another.
I am interested in detail of the uniforms of the Otdelniy korpus pogranitchnoy strazhi imperatorskoy Rossii (Independent Corps of the Border Guard of the Imperial Russia).  Also a little of their history.
I assume they were not part of the Army, although Shenk has several plates of uniforms for the eastern corps.
Any info or pictures would be gratefully appreciated.

SR

Offline Djedj

• View Profile
Re: Border Guard of Imperial Russia
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 07:34:09 AM »
A little info about border guards was given me in the Hussar Photo thread (posts from 5th and 6th december)

http://hydrogen.pallasweb.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=militaria;action=display;num=1108944978

Though I don't know if that's the same corps you're enquiring about ?
I collect Hussar photos

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 09:03:17 AM »
The Border Guard Corps was founded in 1893 at the initiative of Sergey Witte as part of the Ministry of Finance. However, its men and officers were considered soldiers for all purposes, and their service conditions and regulations were the same as the army's. The uniform was also similar, except for light-green tunics, cap tops, piping and other details.

While there is plenty of information on the corps on the Russian web, images are quite scarce.

Offline Robert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 10:26:26 PM »
Hi Sean - rather poor quality photograph of a straznik of the Border Guard c1903 attached. A colour plate by Andrei Karachtchouk in the 2004 Osprey publication "The Russo-Japanese War 1904-05" shows an identical uniform (except for a "Manchzhurka" fur hat). The colours are dark green jacket, light green shoulder straps, collar patches, collar and cuff braid. Trousers blue-grey without piping. I think these colours match those in the Shenk plates which you have already - although the latter show the dress uniforms of 1911.

Robert

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Robert »