Author Topic: Those who escaped with the Dowager Empress  (Read 28615 times)

Offline Bolin

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Those who escaped with the Dowager Empress
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 06:01:43 PM »
Thank you for this information. I did not give the correct name for the director of the Hermitage. It should have been Alexander Aleksandrovich. Who did Serge Hilarion marry?

Offline dp5486

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 09:18:32 AM »
Do you know anything about the Admiral Vyasemsky and his wife Margaret or General Chatelaine and his family? These two families both escaped on the Marlborough and as of yet I have been unable to find anything on them.

Thanks!

Offline lancashireladandre

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2006, 10:59:28 AM »
Thank you for this information. I did not give the correct name for the director of the Hermitage. It should have been Alexander Aleksandrovich. Who did Serge Hilarion marry?

Prince Alexander Aleksandrovitch Wassiltchikoff  may have been a son of Alexander Hilarionovitch(1818-1881) the 4th of the  6 sons of the first Prince. My family tree lists that this Alexander had only 1 son Prince Boris (1860-1931).Serge Hilarion was married to Marie Nikolayevna Isakova( 1853-1922.Baden-Baden)She was the daughter of a General and his wife (nee Loupoukhine).The couple had 4 children of whom the 3rd (and middle son)was Nicholas (1883-1927.Versaillies). George the youngest was killed in 1916 at the battle of Krasnoslav age 25. Neither had wives or children.The only sister Sophia (1879-1927)was the widow of Prince Alexander Alexanderovitch Scherbatov(1881-1915).Through his mother nee Countess Stroganova he was an heir to the immense Stroganov fortune. His mother was shot on her (Ukranian?)estate during the revolution and today the founder of the Stroganov foundation is his grandaughter Helene de Ludinghasen. Princess Sophia and her 4 young daughters may have been part of the 1919 evacuation.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2006, 03:44:31 PM »
Do you know anything about the Admiral Vyasemsky and his wife Margaret or General Chatelaine and his family? These two families both escaped on the Marlborough and as of yet I have been unable to find anything on them.

Thanks!

I highly recommend the books by each of the Vassilitchkov daughters. "Five Passports in a Shifting Europe" by Princess Tatiana Vassilitchkova von Metternich (who is still alive believe it or not and presiding over the famous wine estate of Schloss Johannisberg in Germany, and "Missie".  Their cousin Jim Vyazemsky was serving in the French army and taken prisoner by the Germans.  Tatiana and Missie were both able to visit him during the war.  These books are filled with much information about these families experiences from the time they left Russia until the books were written.

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2006, 01:44:23 PM »

Thanks!

General Vladimir Andreievitch Chatelain was accompanied by his wife Marie Vladimirovna nee Erchoff and their 6 year old son (not daughter) Nicholas.The family continued on till Malta.

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2006, 01:45:53 PM »
I have a complete list of those, who were on the same ship as the Dowager Empress.

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2006, 01:55:53 PM »
Baron de Stael ( or De Staal) was Alexis Ivanovitch. His wife was Helena Alexeievna nee Plestcheieff. Admiral Prince  Viazemsky was Nicholas Alexandrovitch.While Grand Duke Alexander Milhailovitch's aide were Colonel Prince Dimitri Ivanovitch Djambakourian-Orbeliani and General Foguel

Offline dp5486

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2006, 08:55:51 AM »
Thank you! Very interesting information! Teddy - so far I have the Dowager Empress, Xenia and her children, the Yusupovs, the Dolgorukys, the Mengdens, the Viazemskys, the Chatelains, Obolensky, Orbeliani, Foguel, and Evrienoff. I am still working on members of their staff.

Thanks again!

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2006, 01:51:56 PM »
Thank you! That was really interesting! Could you tell me anymore about the Dolgorukys or the Mengdens? I am trying to compile a list of those who escaped with the Dowager Empress. I saw you mentioned a Countess Fersen. Was she the wife of Count Fersen who was on the staff of Grand Duke Nicholas?

Thanks!

Count George Mengden,born 5/8/1897 was the son of Count Dimitri and his wife Sophie Nicholaevna (nee Arapova),he married Countess Irina Dimitrievna Sheremetiev (1896-1965.Paris)in Kislovodsk on 4//6/1918.Their elder daughter Irene was born in Malta on  5/5/1919.George's sister Vera ( born 1901) married in France in 1924 Count Boris Petrovitch Sheremetev.Countess Irina was the sister of Bebe Youssoupoff's  future husband Count Nicholas and her sister Prascovia(1901-80) would in 1921 marry Prince Roman Petrovitch(1896-1978).

Offline dp5486

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2006, 04:02:48 PM »
Thank you! This is all really helpful information! I did think it was very interesting that the Orlovs were mentioned on the list of those who stayed on the Marlborough. I thought Nadezhda would want to stay with her parents.

Thanks again!

Offline dp5486

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2006, 04:13:52 PM »
P.S. Was Count Dmitri Mengden the son of Countess Zinaida Mengden, lady-in-waiting to the Dowager Empress? Also, was Count Nicholas Dmitrievich Mengden the son of Count Dmitri and Countess Sophie Mengden?

Thanks again!

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2006, 04:23:54 AM »
P.S. Was Count Dmitri Mengden the son of Countess Zinaida Mengden, lady-in-waiting to the Dowager Empress? Also, was Count Nicholas Dmitrievich Mengden the son of Count Dmitri and Countess Sophie Mengden?

Thanks again!

I think Zinaida Mengden was the sister of Count Dimitri.Will check. Bebe Youssoupoff's future husband was Count Nicholas Dimitrievitch Sheremetev.....

Offline amelia

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2006, 06:07:42 PM »
Dear Lancashireladandre,

Do you know where can I find the books you mentioned? Sofka (if in English) and Five passports.... I would love to read them. I treied Amazon and BarnesandNoble with no success.

Thank you
Amelia

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2006, 03:03:09 AM »
I think Zinaida Mengden was the sister of Count Dimitri.Will check. Bebe Youssoupoff's future husband was Count Nicholas Dimitrievitch Sheremetev.....

Count Dimitri did have a second son Nicholas who later (1929)married HSH Duchess Marie Leutchenberg.He died in Brazil in the 1970's.

Offline dp5486

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2006, 07:39:04 AM »
Thank you. I did find a record of this marriage on another Russian genealogical website so I was kind of confused.

Thanks!