Author Topic: New Tudor series  (Read 147292 times)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
Re: New Showtime series about the Tudors
« Reply #435 on: August 23, 2008, 01:22:01 PM »
BTW, who is this "Elizabeth", Katherine of Aragon's maid, who hung herself? I am not even sure if she was the one who hung herself, it seemed that way, but wasn't very clear. If it wasn't her, then who was it who hung herself? And why?

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #436 on: August 23, 2008, 01:22:58 PM »
Well, at least they didn't turn him into a vampire... Wait, another serie already did that...

Give them a chance, that could be coming up in Season 3....

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 23, 2008, 05:25:29 PM »
BTW, who is this "Elizabeth", Katherine of Aragon's maid, who hung herself? I am not even sure if she was the one who hung herself, it seemed that way, but wasn't very clear. If it wasn't her, then who was it who hung herself? And why?

It was actually the actor, after realizing that she was appearing on The Tudors.
"Simon --- Classy AND Compassionate!"

"The road to enlightenment is long and difficult, so take snacks and a magazine."

Offline Kurt Steiner

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 24, 2008, 05:02:36 AM »

In the series Elizabeth Darrell hangs herself directly after Katherine's death. A poetical license, I would guess...

Offline ivanushka

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 12, 2008, 04:31:58 PM »
Apologies in advance if this newsbite has already been posted.

I've just looked up "The Tudors" entry on Wikipedia which says it is running for a third series AND...Joss Stone (the UK blues singer) will be playing Anne of Cleves!!!!!  Bearing in mind how many liberties the series takes with the truth, maybe Henry will divorce her because he doesn't like her voice!

There's no mention of who will be playing Katherine Howard which suggests she won't be covered - a shame as her story is a good one.

To my shame I'm really enjoying this show.  We're well into series 2 here in the UK and Catherine of Aragon has just died.  I think if you can look past the dramatic licence and often ropey casting and just accept it as a bit of fluff then it's actually great fun.

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
« Reply #440 on: September 13, 2008, 11:10:46 AM »
I just found the Tv serie a couple of months ago in the final of the seasson II. I just fell in love with the story, the characters, the costumes and  ambientations.

Now im watching the episody 2 os season III and i became an addict!

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

Offline Kurt Steiner

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 27, 2008, 03:09:55 AM »
If one forgest the slips here and there (uncle Courtenay is makes me grin, can't help, I'm a bit evil), it's a wonderful work. It's not a history book. If you want history, real one, you go to a libray. But, as entertainment, very visual, very appealing and attractive, it's first class.

And, hey, what the frogg. Some people may have learnt some pieces of history ;D

Offline libgirl2

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 30, 2008, 06:07:57 AM »
I have been hearing rumors that JRM is stepping down and they are considering how to deal with it. I hope its not true or if it is they hire a properly sized man for the role. I can't imagine the Tudors going on without THE Tudor! The link is:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26946793/

Offline Kurt Steiner

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 01, 2008, 07:05:59 AM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26946793/

Forgive me for this silly joke, but can't help ;)

When I clicked the link and saw Britney Spears, during the second I failed to see that it had nothing to do with The Tudors, my heart got paralized. "Brittney? Catherine Howard?".

Horrifying idea. About the JRM rumour, I guess that it may have to do with the moment when Henry begins to change his aspect -what the frog, he should have looked not quite "younger" even in Season II- and grow fat. Well, who knows...

In my case, since Anne Boleyn was off, I lost a bit of interest on the issue, I must confess.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 05, 2008, 03:59:15 PM »
Just enteratainment...It is.

I was surprised how they made Father Boleyn looked so evil. He was actually less pushy than Norfolk (Howard). He replaced Boleyn after he was disgraced , only to bring another of his nieces Catherine Howard to the scafford. Mother Boelyn (Lady Elizabeth Howard) was nowhere to be seen. I like the way Kristen Scott Thomas played Lady Elizabeth in "The Other Boleyn Girl." Even Philippa Gregory could not have created such a juicy role in her book.

Offline Andrava

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 02, 2008, 09:48:50 PM »
I've just joined the list, so I hope that I can post this comment without losing it into cyberspace!

One of the things that bothers me the most about "The Tudors" is that I'm positive that there are school teachers watching it and accepting some of it, if not all of it, as gospel.  It brings back memories of my own junior high history class, when I had to argue with my teacher ... he insisted that Henry's sister Mary was Mary, Queen of Scots. *shudder*

Of course there may also be students who watch it and plan to base research papers or examinations on what they have "learned" ...

Offline Royal Bulgaria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 03, 2008, 03:44:15 AM »
Mmm i can't wait for The Tudors Season 3    ::)
Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. No one was there.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 03, 2008, 08:58:36 AM »
Yes...they deliberately mixed it up. For example Mary Tudor was married to the King of France and after he died married Charles Brandon, Earl of Suffork. In the series, it was Margaret Tudor who married the King of Portugal who married Charles...

Offline Royal Bulgaria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 03, 2008, 09:09:08 AM »
Yes axactly i agree here
Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. No one was there.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 03, 2008, 03:31:57 PM »
Yes...And the life of the real Margaret Tudor, Queen of Scotland, would have made agood subplot for the series.