Author Topic: Tragedies, Curses & Madness in the House of Wittelsbach  (Read 17015 times)

Offline belianis

• View Profile
Re: Tragedies, Curses & Madness in the House of Wittelsbach
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 08:00:29 PM »
I have read that, when Otto was told of his brother's death which made him King of Bavaria, and decades later when he was told of his deposition, both times he reacted exactly the same way: with total indifference, as if both events didn't register at all. What kind of mental illness could cause such an illogical lack of response?

Offline Linnie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 03:32:15 PM »
I think that it was schizophrenia. I may be confused but I think that Otto never became King of Bavaria, because of his mental illness. Otto was declared insane before Ludwig became King and, therefore, had no claims to the Bavarian throne.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 03:35:06 PM by Linnie »
Linnie

Offline allanraymond

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • Monarchies of Europe
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 04:03:20 PM »
Otto became King but under the Regency of his uncle  Prince Luitpold of Bavaria until 1912. Otto was removed from the throne in 1913 when Luitpold's son Ludwig became King.

Allan Raymond

I think that it was schizophrenia. I may be confused but I think that Otto never became King of Bavaria, because of his mental illness. Otto was declared insane before Ludwig became King and, therefore, had no claims to the Bavarian throne.

Offline Lilian de Rethy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 05:47:10 AM »
I read in the book "Der Schattenkönig" about Otto, that he had symtomes of the borderline-syndrome!

Offline Yelena Aleksandrovna

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 08:01:25 PM »
All your posts are interesting, but your post about Sissi is very interesting for me,
I didn't knew. I also knew that Sissi was very superstitious and that she practiced
the spiritism.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 08:23:32 PM »
Sissi was very worried about madness, a common problem in her family

Offline Lisa49

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 02:16:43 PM »
I read the same story about Sisi, Sophie and Ludvig their cosine and when he drown Sisi became more
afraid. I just cann`t remember who died first, Sisi or Sophie.
Lisa49

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
Sophie died before tham Empress Sissi, she died in 1897 and Sissi in 1898, not a great difference,
but Sophie's death was sadder even than Sissi's one :-(

Offline allan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2009, 12:57:54 PM »
The constitution of Bavaria was amended on 4 November 1913, to include a clause specifying that if a regency for reasons of incapacity lasted for ten years with no expectation that the King would ever be able to reign, the Regent could proclaim the end of the regency and assume the crown himself.

The following day, Otto was deposed by his cousin, Prince Regent Ludwig, who then assumed the title Ludwig III. The parliament assented on 6 November, and Ludwig III took the constitutional oath on 8 November. Otto was permitted to retain his title and honours until his death in 1916.

Bavaria had, thus, two kings, from 1913-1916. Many Bavarians saw this as a curse and two years after Otto's death, monarchy in Bavaria came to an end. The Luitpold branch of the Wittelsbach family was not very much liked by the Bavarians. Manys saw Luitpold and his son Ludwig - Ludwig II's uncle and cousin - as the mastermind of Ludwig II's deposition and his death.

Otto became King but under the Regency of his uncle  Prince Luitpold of Bavaria until 1912. Otto was removed from the throne in 1913 when Luitpold's son Ludwig became King.

Allan Raymond