Author Topic: Friends of Olga and her siblings  (Read 13083 times)

Offline dp5486

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Friends of Olga and her siblings
« on: January 23, 2006, 12:49:30 PM »
Does anyone know who the friends of the Grand Duchesses were. I know that Marie would write to Zenaide Tolstoy and they were friendly with Botkin's children. But did they have any close friends their age who weren't just family?

Thanks!

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
Re: Friends of Olga and her siblings
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 01:11:59 PM »
Margarita Khitrova, 'Ritka' as Olga says in some of her letters. There's a thread on her in Friends, Servants, and Retainers. She was friends with Olga, I believe, but I think Anastasia N has a letter or two to her as well.

lovy

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 09:26:44 PM »
Here's a picture of Olga and a friend in case your interested:

http://www.livadia.org/olishka/images/olgarita.jpg

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 11:19:28 PM »
What's especially nice about that photo, in my opinion, is that it looks very contemporary in its spontaniety and informality. Nothing rigid about it at all: It's simply a photo of two friends who are obviously having fun being in each other's company.

I should add that after Paul Voronov married his own Olga in 1914, Olga N. stayed in touch with them and visited their St. P apartment on at least one occasion. (Another AP member who has stopped posting told me about this.) In Olga Voronov's book, in fact, she mentions that she and her husband visited the Romanovs at the Alexander Palace in early 1917, just before the children fell ill with the measles.  

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 11:19:42 PM »
I have a Russian-language book, Pered Rasstrelom, which is a collection of letters the Imperial Family wrote during their captivity. Some, like Petrov & Vyrubova weren't their own age, but you can see they did know a few people outside the court. Here's a list of the non-family members each of the children wrote to:

Olga: Aleksander Vladimirovich Syroboyarskii, Anna Vyrubova, Daria Petrovna Gesse, Margarita Sergeivna Khitrovo, Maria Andreevna Obukh, M. N. Komstadius, Pyotr Vasil'evich Petrov, Tatiana Yevgen'evna Botkina, Valentina Ivanovna Chebotareva, Vera Vladimirovna Komstadius, Zinaida Sergeivna Tolstaya

Tatiana: Aleksander Vladimirovich Syroboyarskii, Anna Vyrubova, Daria Petrovna Tolstaya, E. E. Zborovskaya, Margarita Sergeivna Khitrovo, Pyotr Vasil'evich Petrov, Valentina Ivanovna Chebotareva, Zinaida Sergeivna Tolstaya

Maria: Vera Georgievna Kapralova, Zinaida Sergeivna Tolstaya

Anastasia: Anna Vyrubova; plus a few letters to an unidentified friend †:(

Aleksei:Anna Vyrubova, Kolya Derevenko, Pyotr Vasil'evich Petrov
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by sarahelizabethii »
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 11:26:48 PM »
Thank you, Sarushka!

I wonder if any of us knows more about some of these people? Personally speaking, I would like to learn more about Aleksander Vladimirovich Syroboyarskii, Daria Petrovna Gesse, Maria Andreevna Obukh, M. N. Komstadius, Zinaida Sergeivna Tolstaya, Daria Petrovna Tolstaya, E. E. Zborovskaya, and Vera Georgievna Kapralova.

Information re: the other people, of course, is always welcome, though I think most of us already know something about those folks!

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 11:29:41 PM »
The book includes brief bios of each correspondent. Someday when it's not after midnight, I'll take a shot at translating them.  ;)

(If I take more than a week, send me a friendly little PM to remind me!)
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 11:38:01 PM »
Will do!  :)

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 10:40:43 AM »
Thanks for sharing this info! It makes the Gds lived sad or deprived lives threads look silly. ;)

Offline Tsarina_Liz

• Knyaz
  • Existence is not a predicate. †- Kant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 10:56:18 AM »
Not really when you consider how many of those are older court officials and how they are shared by all of the girls.
Hindsight is 20/20.  When the myopic haze of of the present is lifted by the march of time we see it clearly as the past.  Sociology, psychology, anthropology.  They are all means of understanding that which came before.  History cannot stand alone.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 11:05:51 AM »
Well, sometimes people even though younger get along woth older people better, I know I do for the most part. There were many people surrounding the Romanovs and it was of necessity a limited circle, but it's just nice to learn abut some of the people otma knew.

Offline tian79

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 07:15:36 AM »
Daria Hesse is mentioned in Kurth's Anna Anderson book. She was friends with Olga and her father was Tsarskoe Seloís garrisonís commandant. Daria and her mother met AA, but she didnít believe AA was Anastasia, I donít remember her motherís opinion.

Offline dianoshka

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2006, 06:57:01 PM »
What about Irina A.? Did they not write to her?

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2006, 10:16:15 PM »
What about Irina A.? Did they not write to her?

I've never seen a letter from OTMA to Irina. I wouldn't imagine they were on the best of terms, after Rasputin's assassination.

Offline dp5486

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 08:39:44 AM »
I completely forgot I started this thread. Thank you for all the responses. I am curious as to who several of these people were including the Komstadius', Obukh, Kapralova, and Zborovsky were. I know that Mme. Tolstoy was a friend of their mothers and Alexander Syroboiarsky was a soldier whom they had treated while nurses. I believe that I read that Alexander's mother was a correspondent of Alexandra while she was in Tobolsk.

Thanks again!