Author Topic: The colour of the Winter Palace - through years  (Read 16305 times)

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
Re: The colour of the Winter Palace - through years
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 01:16:08 AM »
Probably Rastrelli knew better  what colour was super for his buildings. Here in St-Pete we really used to see the Winter Palace in green colours, I can't imagine it in yellow. Also if looking practically at yellow colour and meaning our climate and ecology then the green doesn't show spots easily  ; )

Offline Douglas

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 01:57:32 PM »
A soft yellow sounds like an improvement over the current green.  But with large structures it is always best to do tests of a color change first, ie., paint  20-30 feet of the  fascade and see how it looks in all lighting conditions.  Even paint several sections with different colors. Only then proceed if most agree on the color.

Offline Ena

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 09:21:19 PM »
I love the green. :-)  It's a great shade too.  When I visited last year, several of my hostel mates said "they sure like the color yellow here".  I thought about it and yes, I did see a lot of yellow buildings.  So, the green is kind of unique in that respect.  If they do decide to paint the Winter Palace yellow I wonder how that will contrast against the General Staff building.

Offline PAVLOV

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 08:17:59 AM »
I personally think the palace would look beautiful in a gentle yellow, or perhaps the exact shade of yellow as the Admiralty buildings.
Surely they can find the original Rastrelli yellow hidden beneath all the red and green, and use the same colour ?

I have always thought the green was a bit severe, more like the sort of colour one would paint an army barracks, although it does look better in the snow.  There are not all that many green buildings in St Petersburg, but the shades that exist are softer and  more subtle.

Does anyone know when the original yellow was changed to red, and why the change was so radical. Perhaps red buildings were fashionalbe at the time.

I have an exact sample of the green paint used on the building, and its not so bad in small format, but I think its a bit severe in overall effect.
Just my personal opinion.       

Offline Felicia

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 12:25:13 PM »
In my opinion, yellow colour would remind of all Nicolas I buildings. This is the colour of work.
And red reminds me of GD Nicolas Nicolaevich palace. I can't explain why.
I'm sorry for possible mistakes