Author Topic: Princess Alexandra of Hohenlohe-Langenburg  (Read 106440 times)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Princess Alexandra of Hohenlohe-Langenburg
« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2008, 10:55:46 PM »
Well...the war did change all that. Michen was complaining that she can't talk to Marie Coburg since she became "so German" ! :)

Offline LenelorMiksi

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 21, 2008, 11:54:06 AM »
I highly doubt that Sandra convinced Marie Coburg to give her the majority of the jewels, or that the grand duchess had lost her backbone.  Sandra was the only one of her daughters on the German side of the war.  She still loved her other daughters, but nonetheless a rift was created, and Marie Coburg felt intensely patriotic to her adopted Germany.  So doesn't it make sense that she would want the majority of her jewels to go to a princely germanic house, and to the daughter who had nursed the German soldiers?  Also, why should Sandra part from the jewels that her mother had left her?  After being the "least interesting" of the sisters her entire life, she finally got to feel like the favorite.  Ducky won favor by converting to Orthodoxy and becoming a Russian Grand Duchess, Missy was a beautiful, popular queen, and Baby Bee was the Benjamina, the only one allowed to wait for a marriage of love rather than rushed into one in her teens.  Really, I don't find it hard to understand that Sandra would be reluctant to part with this physical proof of her mother's love. 
Grand Duchess Alice of Hesse:  "Each year brings us nearer to the Wiedersehen [reunion with the dead], though it is sad to think how one's glass is running out, & how little good goes with it, compared to the numberless blessings we receive.  Time goes incredibly fast."

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2008, 11:55:21 PM »
And yet in this "fleecing" committed by Alexandra Ducky still made out of course with rather considerable real estate, the sale of which alowed Kirill and Ducky to purchase Ker Argonid (their Norman villa)11 and a flat in Paris.

--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline Norbert

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 24, 2008, 04:59:57 AM »
 They found it very difficult to marry "Baby Bee" off...certainly it was not a love match and was regarded as a mis-alliance by her relatives

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #139 on: June 24, 2008, 08:13:46 AM »
They found it very difficult to marry "Baby Bee" off...certainly it was not a love match and was regarded as a mis-alliance by her relatives

I read in many books and articles that Beatrice-Alfonso marriage was a love match. At least for Alfonso.

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 24, 2008, 10:27:09 AM »
For sure, Svetabel ;) Ali fell in love with Baby Bee at first sight, if the bio written by Ana de Sagrera is well documented ;) De Sagrera states that fifteen minutes after the couple´s first meeting, when they were dancing, Ali asked in loud voice: "Princess, will you marry me?".

Offline trentk80

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 24, 2008, 10:32:03 AM »
Indeed. Their marriage was a love match.
Ladran los perros a la Luna, y ella con majestuoso desprecio prosigue el curso de su viaje.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #142 on: June 24, 2008, 03:23:59 PM »
Was Bee the poorest? Prior to the Spanish Revolution (and Marie died in 1920), I would've thought that she was well off since she was married to the eldest son of the Infanta Eulalia--who, along with her husband, was a prime beneficiary of several large wills.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 24, 2008, 03:44:58 PM »
Granduchessella, Antonio and Eulalia spent a lot of money, so I don´t know if their sons could receive so much...Antonio had a mistress who always wore fabulous dresses and jewels, spanish people used to named her "la Infantona" ("The Great Infanta" but with disdain). Eulalia was not a woman to be careful with her funds, she was here and there living without a sense of economy...

Offline LenelorMiksi

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 24, 2008, 06:38:03 PM »
I was reading in Van Der Kiste's biography of Victoria Melita that next to Missy, Sandra was the closest sister to her.  That's probably why Sandra agreed to share the jewels (which were hers legally at this point, it seems).  Perhaps the sisters blamed Sandra for getting more than her fair share of inheritance because they didn't want to believe that Marie Coburg wanted to give her more of her belongings than them.
Grand Duchess Alice of Hesse:  "Each year brings us nearer to the Wiedersehen [reunion with the dead], though it is sad to think how one's glass is running out, & how little good goes with it, compared to the numberless blessings we receive.  Time goes incredibly fast."

Offline trentk80

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 25, 2008, 02:58:03 AM »
Was Bee the poorest? Prior to the Spanish Revolution (and Marie died in 1920), I would've thought that she was well off since she was married to the eldest son of the Infanta Eulalia--who, along with her husband, was a prime beneficiary of several large wills.

Alfonso and Beatrice were well-off before their exile from Spain in 1916, when they had to move to Switzerland. There they lived with financial difficulties until 1923, when they were finally allowed to return to Spain.
Ladran los perros a la Luna, y ella con majestuoso desprecio prosigue el curso de su viaje.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 25, 2008, 03:18:52 PM »
By the time Ali came into his money, it had been almost completely gone. The only thing left was the house in Bologna and the title of the Duke of Galleria. Bee was given money (one million swiss gold soverigns) as her dowery and income from her mother's trust fund in Russia. When the revolution broke out, the income stopped. So apart from a few real estate, there is not not a lot of money and goods. So Marie Coburg's money would have been eagerly accepted at that time. I agree that Ducky was the one that Sandra was a little in awe of, she bullied Missy and Bee without a second thought. So Ducky's presence at the division of their mother's goods was a comfort to Missy...

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #147 on: June 26, 2008, 09:31:04 AM »
This is not correct. The Infante don Alfonso legally intervened his father's mismanagement of the vast Monpensier inheritance. Don Antonio was haphazard at best at managing it and lavished untold riches on his various mistresses. But to say that don Alfonso only received a couple of things around Bologna is factually incorrect at best.

In Andalucia the real estate of the late Duke of Montpensier was divided among his two surviving children: The Countess of Paris and the Infante don Antonio.

The real estate in Villamanrique, along with the casa palacio, went to the Paris'. This remains in the hands of his Orléans-Bragança descendants. Each of the children of the late Countess of Paris (1848-1919) received real estate in Andalucia or France, even the late Countess of Barcelona, may God rest her soul, received real estate from the Montpensier inheritance.

The real estate around Sanlucar de Barrameda (El Botánico) went to don Antonio and his descendants. Alfonso and Beatrice de Orleans lived there until their deaths and this was no small property. In fact, the Borbones Sanluqueños continue to own the property, where the Montpensier Archive is now located.

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline trentk80

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 27, 2008, 07:13:17 AM »
Around the time of the Duchess of Coburg's death, Alfonso and Beatrice were not well off and their correspondence with some relatives confirm this. They inherited the large estate at Sanlucar de Barrameda several years later, when they returned to Spain.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 07:15:22 AM by trentk80 »

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 27, 2008, 10:46:39 AM »
Indeed. At the time of Bee's marriage to Ali, she had more money than he did (his father still control the money and spent much of it on his mistress, as Ricardo's article in RD has indicated). Not to mention the fact that the father (Antonio) brided Ali's younger brother Luis to his side during the dispute in the family. It is no secret that Bee got the least jewels from Marie Coburg (only the fringe tiara) compared to the other three...