Author Topic: Princess Alexandra of Hohenlohe-Langenburg  (Read 77687 times)

Offline Prince_Christopher

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Princess Alexandra of Hohenlohe-Langenburg
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 01:37:09 PM »
Thank you everybody for your great input :o I had no idea a simple comment would turn into such a great thread.  Keep it up :D  I have always been a little intrigued by Pss. Alexandra.  Even if she was prone to throw a hissy fit ( and who hasn't at one time) or whine
(Again see above ;D)  Keeping in mind trying to compete with two better know high spirited sisters in Missy and
Victoria Melita aka Ducky would rather frustrate one.

Good one, Michael! LOL!  ;D  Competing with those two WOULD have certainly been trying at times, as many sibling relationships can be.  I am not surprised that she was capable of being a diva at times, look who her mother was.  I just thought she was the LEAST dramatic of the sisters.  

Anyway, that's why we needed a thread on her--to learn more about her life. :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Prince_Christopher »
Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 01:46:19 PM »
Sandra looks very pretty in some of the photos, i alays thought she was rather plain! What a simple grave she has!!  :)
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 03:20:01 PM »
One more picture of the Edinburghs-Coburgs.(including GD Pavel Romanov)

The caption says that there are 3 daughters of Duke Alfred : Beatrice, Alexandra and Victoria in the picture. Actually I see only Baby Bee and Sandra (with her husband by her side). Who is that woman at back? Could be Charly of Saxe-Meiningen? (btw, a woman has some resemblance to GDss Maria Pavlovna-elder  :))

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 03:24:59 PM »

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006, 08:20:47 PM »
I think the last one came from the Crisp book.

Sandra's daughter Princess Alexandra ("Dolly") was very close to Baby Bee and her family and later moved to live in Spain.  ;)

Offline Prince_Christopher

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2006, 09:20:03 PM »
You think she's the prettiest? I'm not meaning to be snarky (honestly) but why? Her features always seemed really heavy to me and her eyes small. I'm not a fan of Ducky's looks (except her eyes) but I can't see Sandra beating Missy or Bee.

I think she was a "natural" beauty, especially as a younger woman.  Yes, I agree, she paled in comparison to the glaring loveliness of Missy and the stunning fashionability of Ducky, but she was certainly prettier than Helena's girls or the Wales girls.  I think she may have been overshadowed somewhat by her more illustrious sisters as is sometimes the case.  Just my opinion! :)

BTW, thanks for all the lovely pictures! :D
Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2006, 09:24:41 PM »
She greatly resembled her mother, Marie Coburg.  :-/

Linnea

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2006, 01:49:38 AM »
Did you know that Aleaxndra had a driver´s licence? And this in 1909! Very few women had one at this time.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 07:43:46 AM by Svetabel »

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2006, 04:20:50 AM »
Yes...impressive indeed !

I think I have seen somewhere there is one photo of her driving a car... ???

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2006, 08:48:24 AM »

I think she was a "natural" beauty, especially as a younger woman.  Yes, I agree, she paled in comparison to the glaring loveliness of Missy and the stunning fashionability of Ducky, but she was certainly prettier than Helena's girls or the Wales girls.  I think she may have been overshadowed somewhat by her more illustrious sisters as is sometimes the case.  Just my opinion! :)

BTW, thanks for all the lovely pictures! :D

i agree !!!!! Sandra was a lovely girl in her youth,and IMO she equals Ducky and Bee...as for Missy ah she overshadowed her 3 sisters and many of her cousins too :) i think also that Sandra was prettier than Maria Alexandrovna as compared in their youth

thanks everyone for continuing this great thread :Dlove it :)

Agneschen

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2006, 09:24:23 AM »
I think she was a "natural" beauty, especially as a younger woman.  Yes, I agree, she paled in comparison to the glaring loveliness of Missy and the stunning fashionability of Ducky, but she was certainly prettier than Helena's girls or the Wales girls.  I

I agree. She was no glaring beauty of course but she cannot be dismissed as downright plain. I think she looks much better than her English cousins. According to me, Bee was the loveliest among the Edinburgh sisters - she lacked Missy's glamour but combined her fine features and Ducky's dark hair/blue eyes.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Agneschen »

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2006, 04:19:19 AM »
I think she was the plainest looking of the four sisters. That lack ultimately developed into jealousy, as shown when the time comes to divide their mother's property after her death. She took the lion's share and wanted more, but Ducky would have none of it and confronted her sister, with Missy's proxy at hand. utimately she end up with the biggest share, while Bee end up with the least.  >:(

Offline LenelorMiksi

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2006, 11:37:25 PM »
Ahh, the unhappy inheritance story.  I think Sandra was more jealous of Ducky and Missy's closeness than their beauty.  In pictures of them as little girls she's usually hanging on to Ducky or gazing at the two longingly.  There's so much missing in what I've heard of Sandra's life.  What was she interested in?  What were her hobbies besides cooking?  Missy sings her praises, but Marie Coburg says she's the most boring of her brood, less beautiful and intelligent.  However, Marie Coburg was an incredibly harsh critic.  Sandra and Affie Jr. were her least favorite children, Affie probably coming last because she thought girls were so much nicer than boys.
Grand Duchess Alice of Hesse:  "Each year brings us nearer to the Wiedersehen [reunion with the dead], though it is sad to think how one's glass is running out, & how little good goes with it, compared to the numberless blessings we receive.  Time goes incredibly fast."

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2006, 05:31:33 AM »
i don't think Sandra was jealous :-/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2006, 10:42:23 AM »
She was ! Moreover she was not well and always complain of headaches. When the time comes for the jewels she selfishly grabs the most. Ducky refused to budge and stood firm. A third party came through and got things divided in a more orferly fashion. It was quite a while before the other three forgave Sandra.