Author Topic: Princess Alexandra of Hohenlohe-Langenburg  (Read 76428 times)

Offline LenelorMiksi

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: Princess Alexandra of Hohenlohe-Langenburg
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2006, 03:52:48 PM »
Is not being physically well a personal defect?  I guess Queen Alexandra of GB must have been a horrible person, then, since she was almost completely deaf.
Grand Duchess Alice of Hesse:  "Each year brings us nearer to the Wiedersehen [reunion with the dead], though it is sad to think how one's glass is running out, & how little good goes with it, compared to the numberless blessings we receive.  Time goes incredibly fast."

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2006, 08:24:25 PM »
No...I don't mean that at all. I am saying not only was she was not well. Her headaches comes with rages. Not even Marie Coburg was spared from them. Does illness excuse people from being selfish ? No I should think not ! As for Queen Alexandra, George V said "My mother was one of the most selfish person I knew." Her treatment of Toria made her less than perfect in her nieces eye, as even Grand Duchesswas troubled "because Alix was so good."

Offline LenelorMiksi

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2006, 02:07:43 PM »

Another photo of Princess Alexandra.  Are there any from her wedding or confirmation?
Grand Duchess Alice of Hesse:  "Each year brings us nearer to the Wiedersehen [reunion with the dead], though it is sad to think how one's glass is running out, & how little good goes with it, compared to the numberless blessings we receive.  Time goes incredibly fast."

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2006, 11:25:34 PM »
There was one published in either the ILN or the Graphic when she married as well as some sketches. She had a pretty wedding dress.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2006, 12:30:11 AM »
Yes...There are quite a few people at her wedding including Mary, the Duchess of York.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2006, 01:30:01 PM »
Some of the guests:

Ernie & Ducky
Missy & Nando
Affie & Marie
Wilhelm II & Dona
Vladimir & Miechen
George & May
Baby Bee & Alfred Jr
Charly
Philip Coburg
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2006, 05:21:23 AM »
Yes...Philip of Coburg was a close friend of Marie Coburg. Don't know much about that friendship.  ???

Offline dp5486

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2006, 05:10:41 PM »
Where did Sandra and her family live during WWI? I thought I remembered reading in one of Queen Marie of Roumania's biographies that their mother, the Duchess of Coburg lived with them during this time.
Is this the reason why she thought she deserved the biggest part of her mother's estate.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2006, 08:01:47 PM »
No...It was because she was the nearest to the Duchess that she was able to con her mother into giving a lot of stuff to her including the ruby parure. The sisters took long time before they could forgive Sandra for her greed. No again Marie Coburg died in a hotel, she did not live with Sandra during that time... :(

Offline lababoc

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2006, 11:09:46 AM »
I wonder what the  Marie Grand Duchess  Coburg  nee  Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrovna would think of  people  calling her Marie Coburg.......just a thought... since according to the  some authors when called FRAU COBURG she collapsed..and died

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2006, 11:37:00 AM »
This princess was pretty, if not quite the stunner her sisters were. Her beauty was unique and shines out from these photos. Thanks for them all! Sandra tends to be overlooked, because of her interesting and beautiful sisters. However, her personality cannot be said to be as attractive as her looks; there is much evidence of that. It seems she was a bit daring, abd uncoventional like her sister Ducky in some ways. As for her son Gottfried, and Gloria Vanderbilt senior, they were sort of engaged and defintely had a affair. They may have intended to marry, but if Gloria senior was to marry him, then she would have to live on his income I believe, and not the funds that she did, from her daughter, to support a household for her, and she didn't want to this. Also, her daughter's custody would have been out of her hands probably, and this was the reason the money would be gone as well. I can't think that Sandra could have liked this, at all, because I am sure she wanted him to marry equally to fellow royalty.He did eventually, of course, but I wonder how having his name become rather controversial made her feel. I have never read anything about it though I have wondered about it since I learned of it.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2006, 10:00:17 PM »
Sandra suffered much violent headaches and made her nature unstable. Her greed on the Coburg inheitance cost her her sister's friendship and quite awhile passed before they could forgive Sandra (who in a fit slapped Baby Bee). However she would be glad that her son end up with a royal bride (Prince Philip's sister, Princess Margarita of Greece). In fact both Ducky and Missy came to the wedding in Lagenburg, although Baby Bee was absent from it.  ???

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2006, 12:31:12 PM »
Sandra does seem less interesting than her siblings.They might have been difficult at times, but perhaps their other qualities made up for that. She seems just to have been difficult.

Offline Keith

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2006, 07:01:23 PM »
Sandra may have been greedy, but I find it difficult to believe Marie Coburg ever let anyone con her. Dividing it 4 ways would have been the easiest, but maybe Marie C thougth Missy being a Queen, and Ducky a Russian Imperial Highness had enough of their own jewels. She probably thought the Russians would be restored and Ducky would get all her jewels back. Not sure how she figured Bee into the picture, but in the end it was her decision.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2006, 01:51:15 AM »
You were correct. Baby Bee was left with the least. She had every reason to be unhappy about the division. In Marie Coburg's letters she talked about Sandra always asking for things and as the daughter closest to her, Marie Coburg saw fit to give her more. When the division came, Both Ducky (also acting for Missy) and Bee made their unhappiness known and challenged Sandra. It was a break and took a long time to heal.  >:(