Author Topic: Archduchess Sophie,mother of Franz Josef  (Read 51876 times)

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Archduchess Sophie,mother of Franz Josef
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2007, 10:04:01 AM »
I think itīs mostly because of the close family relationship. For example was the second wife of emperor Franz II./ I., Maria Theresia of Neaples, Franzīs cousin, a daughter of Maria Karoline, daughter of empress Maria Theresia, whereas Franz was the son of Maria Theresiaīs son emperor Leopold II. (only one example). But it is strange that there are always examples, where single members of the family do not have this typical "Habsburg face" (or at least not so strongly, I remember especially the daughters of Philipp II. by Elisabeth Valois, but there are also other cases) but in general that looking passed so many generations. But in my view Franz Karlīs looking was not that longish like that of his brother Ferdinand, he was even much worse in looking. When Ferdinand was young there are quite nice paitings, but when I once saw a late photography of him I was really shocked :o. When you look at the children of Franz Karl and Sophie is obvious that all look somewhere different, but Ludwig Victor is mostly "Hapsburg" of all (and Maximilian of Mexico also a bit), but Franz Josephīs features are better, they may also come from his Wittelsbach side?! Even when I donīt see any direct resemblence to his mother, Archduchess Sophie.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 10:07:20 AM by britt.25 »
La vérité est plus importante que l'amour

Marie Bonaparte (1882-1962)

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Sophie Charlotte (1847-1897)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2007, 11:42:25 AM »
If you look at the longish faces of Emperor Franz and his second wife Maria Teresa of Naples, it is not surprising that also most of their children had unbelievable longish faces - but there are different extents among the siblings. For example Ferdinand (but he was disabled!) and Maria Anna had extremely longish faces, but Marie Louise and Clémentine had "normal" ones and were quite beautiful.

I've once seen a portrait of Archduke Franz Karl when he was a little boy of about 5 years. He looked so ugly and his face was that longish! When I read in books about the time of the engagement of Sophie and Franz Karl, the Archduke has always been described as not good looking and having a longish face. Maybe the painters shortened it a bit in their portraits to please him, but above all the Emperor.
Ich aber breite trauernd aus
die weiten weissen Schwingen,
Und kehr' ins Feenreich nach Haus -
Nichts soll mich wieder bringen.

Elisabeth

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2007, 12:43:06 PM »
Well, the Kniehuber portrait(s) make(s) him quite "good" looking in my opinion, but maybe itīs a bit idealized? On Kniehuber -litographies I find almost all people quite allright in their looks...I must say...In my opinion Ferdinand I. was the worst concerning looks. The photo I once saw was really shocking. (I think it was in a book about Metternich) Do you know by which artist the portrait of Archduke Franz Karl as a child, which you mentioned, was made? Sometimes it really depends on the portraits/artists, how the people look like, but itīs easy to imagine that he looked a bit strange, and was not very nice! Yes, Empress Marie Louise was really quite beautiful, if you compare her with other realtives, also some of her uncles had an extreme "Hapsburg- face" (Karl of Teschen etc., whose sons were a lot like that as well even if Henriette of Nassau looked completely different...)
Too much off- topic, I think, sorry :-\

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2007, 07:51:57 AM »
Do you know by which artist the portrait of Archduke Franz Karl as a child, which you mentioned, was made?

I'm sorry. I saw it some months ago at the Hofmobiliendepot at Vienna, but I don't know the artist.

(Let's do a little bit more off-topic here:  ;) In my opinion the only son of Archduchess Maria Christine, King Alfonso XIII. of Spain, also had a "Habsburg-face". He was a descendant of Archduke Karl, too.)

Elisabeth

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2007, 01:57:31 PM »
Interesting that it was in the Hofmobiliendepot!!!  ;) I am still curious about that, because I didnīt have the chance to see that museum until now :)
Yes, I also think Alfonso has strongly that typical kind of face inheritated from his motherīs side. But itīs interesting that his uncle Archduke Friedrich doesnīt look like that at all (in my view!), but as we said his sisterīs son, and also Friedrichīs son, Albrecht has typical Hapsburg features, very longish face etc. Itīs really interested how this looking is distributed differently among close family members. Do you think that any of Archduchess Sophieīs children share her look? I rather think they resemble their father Archduke Franz Karl, donīt they? It would have been interesting to know about Archduchess Maria Annaīs look, when older, but unfortunately he died so early and was the only daughter of Sophie. Itīs a pity about her. But itīs also interesting to me that Franz Joseph I and his wife Elisabeth, who were related over the Wittelsbach side, had certain resemblences in their looks, even when I donīt see special resemblences of Franz Joseph I. to his mother... What do you think about that?

Offline Silja

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2007, 12:07:19 PM »
even when I donīt see special resemblences of Franz Joseph I. to his mother... What do you think about that?

Looking at photographs, I actually do think he  resembles her.

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2007, 07:06:15 AM »
Itīs interesting that you see it differently. I always saw much more "Habsburg" than "Wittelsbach" in the children of Archduchess Sophie. But maybe I am wrong concerning Franz Joseph I. Especially on a photography of the old Archduke Franz Karl  I saw a lot of his son in him! Can you name an example, where Franz Joseph resembles his mother?

Rani

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2008, 03:28:42 PM »

Offline Princess Susan

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2008, 02:46:35 AM »
Thank you for wonderful pictures Rani. On the first one is Sophie with her twin Marie, isn't she?

Offline Yseult

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2008, 05:04:35 AM »

And another one...

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 09:08:10 AM by Svetabel »

Offline Stefan22

• View Profile
    • Royal Travel and Events
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2008, 06:48:36 AM »
Interesting that it was in the Hofmobiliendepot!!!  ;) I am still curious about that, because I didnīt have the chance to see that museum until now :)
Yes, I also think Alfonso has strongly that typical kind of face inheritated from his motherīs side. But itīs interesting that his uncle Archduke Friedrich doesnīt look like that at all (in my view!), but as we said his sisterīs son, and also Friedrichīs son, Albrecht has typical Hapsburg features, very longish face etc. Itīs really interested how this looking is distributed differently among close family members. Do you think that any of Archduchess Sophieīs children share her look? I rather think they resemble their father Archduke Franz Karl, donīt they? It would have been interesting to know about Archduchess Maria Annaīs look, when older, but unfortunately he died so early and was the only daughter of Sophie. Itīs a pity about her. But itīs also interesting to me that Franz Joseph I and his wife Elisabeth, who were related over the Wittelsbach side, had certain resemblences in their looks, even when I donīt see special resemblences of Franz Joseph I. to his mother... What do you think about that?

I think the problem was that also Franz I./II. mother Maria Luise of Spain and Maria Theresa's father where siblings and those Franz I./II. and Maria Theresa where 2twice Cousins.

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2008, 03:35:19 PM »
I think the problem was that also Franz I./II. mother Maria Luise of Spain and Maria Theresa's father where siblings and those Franz I./II. and Maria Theresa where 2twice Cousins.

Not to forget: Franz I.'s father Leopold II. and Maria Theresia's mother Maria Karoline were siblings, too.

Elisabeth

Offline Luc

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2008, 12:33:01 PM »
I thought it would probably be worth discussing about Sophie's relationship to especially her younger sister the Duchess Ludovika in Bavaria and her other sisters: her twin sister Queen Maria Anna of Saxony, Amalie and Queen Elisabeth of Prussia.
I look forward to your replies !

Offline Royal Bulgaria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2009, 11:46:16 AM »
What a beautiful woman she was.... fascinating.... but a pity she didn't like Sissi...
Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. No one was there.

Offline Silja

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2009, 11:58:34 AM »
What a beautiful woman she was.... fascinating.... but a pity she didn't like Sissi...

It's rather that Sisi didn't like her.