Author Topic: Archduchess Sophie,mother of Franz Josef  (Read 57979 times)

Offline Royal Bulgaria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Archduchess Sophie,mother of Franz Josef
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2009, 01:02:38 PM »
Yes.....but Sophie controled Elisabeth....
Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. No one was there.

Offline Silja

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2009, 02:05:56 PM »
Yes.....but Sophie controled Elisabeth....

This is certainly true - up to the point when Elisabeth would no longer let herself  be controlled by anyone.

Offline Royal Bulgaria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2009, 02:58:20 PM »
Indeed and thats why she and Sophie Gisela and Franz went to Hungary..... if i'm correct

Offline Mandie, the Gothic Empress

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Olga.Tatiana.Maria.Anastasia + Alexei
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2009, 05:46:07 PM »
Sophie and Sissi were both strong well women. their relationship is like that of Minny and Alix of Russia in many ways.

And other royal ladies and mother-in-laws in that type of relationship? I can't really think of any.

Offline Greenowl

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2009, 06:16:49 PM »
I don't think that Archduchess Sophie actually disliked Elisabeth, at least not at the beginning. As I understand it, she considered her niece/daughter-in-law too immature and poorly educated for the position of Empress and decided to try to help her to live up to the strict Habsburg court etiquette. Sophie probably thought that she was being kind to Elisabeth, but needless to say, Elisabeth saw things differently and began to resent and hate her aunt/mother-in-law, thus their relationship deteriorated pretty quickly. While the situation was clearly unpleasant for Elisabeth, I don't think that there was initially any deliberate malice or unkindness on the part of the Archduchess. Just my humble opinion!

Offline Mandie, the Gothic Empress

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Olga.Tatiana.Maria.Anastasia + Alexei
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2009, 07:09:24 PM »
I agree with you 100%.  :)

Offline Royal Bulgaria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2009, 10:31:06 PM »
Very possible yes but we can't know for sure.... :-\

Offline Silja

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2009, 12:13:37 PM »
I don't think that Archduchess Sophie actually disliked Elisabeth, at least not at the beginning. As I understand it, she considered her niece/daughter-in-law too immature and poorly educated for the position of Empress and decided to try to help her to live up to the strict Habsburg court etiquette. Sophie probably thought that she was being kind to Elisabeth, but needless to say, Elisabeth saw things differently and began to resent and hate her aunt/mother-in-law, thus their relationship deteriorated pretty quickly. While the situation was clearly unpleasant for Elisabeth, I don't think that there was initially any deliberate malice or unkindness on the part of the Archduchess. Just my humble opinion!

Precisely. Well summed up. In fact there's no evidence Sophie ever disliked Elisabeth.

Offline Paola

• Graf
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2009, 08:11:40 AM »
And how was the relationship of Sophie to her daughters in law, like Charlotte, and the first two  wives of Karl Ludwig, Margaretha and Annunciata? I always had the impression Sophie had a better relationship and prefered Charlotte to Elisabeth.

Offline Princess Susan

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2009, 02:25:55 AM »
I think, she had good relationship with her daughters in law, especially with Charlotte. But I don't think, that she prefere Charlotte to Elisabeth. Although she definitely got on better with her, because Elisabeth was too independent personality and did't bear, when Sopie maddled in her affairs and gave her advices.
But she always wrote about Sisi  in her diaries and letters very nicely...

Offline Paola

• Graf
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2009, 03:08:44 AM »
I always thought she was specially fond of Charlotte because her character suited more to Sophie. Charlotte was better prepared for court life and wife of Sophie's favorite son Maximilian.  I think to her niece Margaretha , first wife of Karl Ludwig ,  she got along very well and could be that she helped arranged this marriage together with her sister Amalie, Queen of Saxony. And to Annunciata?

Rani

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2009, 03:08:08 PM »

Franz Carl

Offline Yelena Aleksandrovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Fortuna vitrea est; tum cum splendet frangitur
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2009, 08:07:09 PM »
(Excuse me if these images have been posted before)
The Archduchess and Franz Joseph

As an old woman

Russia cannot be grasped with the mind, or measured in feet and inches, for she has a special character: In Russia one can only believe. ~Fyodor Tyutchev.

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Sophie Charlotte (1847-1897)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2009, 04:47:47 AM »
I always thought she was specially fond of Charlotte because her character suited more to Sophie. Charlotte was better prepared for court life and wife of Sophie's favorite son Maximilian.  I think to her niece Margaretha , first wife of Karl Ludwig ,  she got along very well and could be that she helped arranged this marriage together with her sister Amalie, Queen of Saxony. And to Annunciata?

Archduchess Sophie was quite close to Archduchess Marie Caroline, called "Marie Rainer". Her husband was one of the most conservative and most influential members of the family. Marie was the only sister of Maria Theresia (former) Queen of the Two Sicilies. That's why Sophie asked Marie to contact her sister and to talk to her about a possible marriage of her widowed son Carl Ludwig and Therese's eldest daughter Maria Annunziata. So Carl Ludwig's second marriage was arranged by family members, but as you can see in some letters of the Archduke, he was deeply in love after he had met Annunziata for the very first time.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 04:52:29 AM by MarieCharlotte »
Ich aber breite trauernd aus
die weiten weissen Schwingen,
Und kehr' ins Feenreich nach Haus -
Nichts soll mich wieder bringen.

Elisabeth

Offline Madame-Sisi

• Boyar
  • Eine Möve Bin ich von Keinem land..
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2009, 04:29:52 PM »