Author Topic: Correspondence, Diaries, Journals and Her Bible  (Read 20136 times)

Offline lori_c

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Correspondence, Diaries, Journals and Her Bible
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 09:26:31 AM »
Her diaries from 1887 and later years are at GARF, Moscow.

So when she burned a good portion in 1917, what exactly was left?

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 11:18:30 AM »
Her diaries for 1887 and later years are all listed in the guide to her section of the archive at GARF.

The fact that Alix burnt letters from her siblings, but kept a considerable number of  postcards she had received from them shows that she was selective in what she was burning and that she was not trying to erase every trace of communication with them. So perhaps she started with the papers that included the most sensitive information and kept less sensitive stuff for later. Alix's diaries probably did not include a lot of information that could be considered incriminating and they were perhaps not the first items she 'wanted' to get rid of. In the end, she may not have come around to burning them, as she had to stop because the paper didn't burn properly and pieces of paper were coming out of the chimney blackened but not pulverized.

"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"  -  http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=296&objk_
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"

Offline Lisa

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Alix & Ella
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2007, 12:25:26 PM »
I think some parts of her diaries are crypted, aren't they?

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2007, 01:02:56 PM »
Yes, they are. Alix and her friend Toni Becker used a kind of 'secret code' in their letters. I don't know who invented it, but I do know that Ernst Ludwig also knew how to decode such lines. It's quite easy to decipher, by the way.
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"  -  http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=296&objk_
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2007, 02:59:40 PM »
Thanks for the diary entry and jourinal/letters Sarushka.The letter on post 5 that Sarushka had posted with a letter from Alix to Queen Victoria her grandmother. Well it did not say what came after" Please do not"??? :-\

June 10, 1882
Kranichstein
Dear Grandmother,

Thank You very much for my nice watch, I like it so much. I will try to always be a good girl. Please do not....

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2007, 03:24:18 PM »
Thanks for the diary entry and jourinal/letters Sarushka.The letter on post 5 that Sarushka had posted with a letter from Alix to Queen Victoria her grandmother. Well it did not say what came after" Please do not"??? :-\

June 10, 1882
Kranichstein
Dear Grandmother,

Thank You very much for my nice watch, I like it so much. I will try to always be a good girl. Please do not....

Yeah, I know -- I've only got one page of that letter.  :(
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2007, 03:49:36 PM »
Sad that there is not the rest I realy wanted to know what the rest was but thats okay.

Offline lori_c

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2007, 04:26:31 PM »
Her diaries for 1887 and later years are all listed in the guide to her section of the archive at GARF.

The fact that Alix burnt letters from her siblings, but kept a considerable number of  postcards she had received from them shows that she was selective in what she was burning and that she was not trying to erase every trace of communication with them. So perhaps she started with the papers that included the most sensitive information and kept less sensitive stuff for later. Alix's diaries probably did not include a lot of information that could be considered incriminating and they were perhaps not the first items she 'wanted' to get rid of. In the end, she may not have come around to burning them, as she had to stop because the paper didn't burn properly and pieces of paper were coming out of the chimney blackened but not pulverized.

Thank you Helen for clarifying. :)  It makes sense!

Offline tian79

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2007, 11:18:01 AM »
It seems to me that I've seen sketches of brides Alix did as a young woman after seeing her sister's wedding. I can't remember if they were in a book or a documentary. Is anyone else familiar with them?

In "Love, power and tragedy", on pages 50, 58, 60 and 63, there are Alix's sketches and notebooks.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008, 02:32:16 PM »
Does anyone know which version of the Bible Alexandra favored? (I'm presuming she read the bible in English.)

The English Revised Version came into vogue in the 1880's, so I wonder if Alexandra favored the new ERV Bible, or the traditional King James Version.

Also, would the empress's Bible have included the 14 Apocryphal books?
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline amartin71718

• Graf
  • Eat a rock, and On Wisconsin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008, 02:37:06 PM »
Apocryphal books?
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. - Groucho Marx

Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the wordless tune, and never stops at all. - Emily Dickinson

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 02:43:37 PM »
Bob said "WOW what a good question.  We know that Tatiana read a King James version because GARF has long chapters she copied out in English.  It would have to have been an English Bible because Alexandra mentions specific chapters and verses they read in her diaries in Ekaterinburg."

Sokolov reported finding Alexandra's Bible in the Ipatiev House, but sadly does not give any information as which version it was.  Bob says he suspects it was most likely the King James, but can't be certain.

Sorry not to be of more help.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 02:45:08 PM by Forum Admin »

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 03:36:06 PM »
Thanks Rob & Bob. That does help.

Marty_1994: The apocryphal books are 14 books of the Bible that were removed from Protestant bibles at time of the creation of the English Revised Version in 1880. Ditto the American Standard Version in 1901. They're sometimes referred to as the Lost Books. Prior to that time, all bibles had 80 books; afterward, Protestant bibles had just 66.

Offline amartin71718

• Graf
  • Eat a rock, and On Wisconsin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 05:02:59 PM »
oh. ok. thanks.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. - Groucho Marx

Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the wordless tune, and never stops at all. - Emily Dickinson

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 05:34:51 PM »
When I worked at the Imperial library at TS, I saw quite a few books which belonged to Alexandra - including some religous ones - but don't remember coming across any bibles that belonged to her... She may have taken her bibles with her into exile and they may have been lost along the way... My guess is that it would have been the King James bible that she grew up with (as a Protestant) as well as perhaps a Russian version of the Bible (she did read some Russian language books too)...