Author Topic: Correspondence, Diaries, Journals and Her Bible  (Read 20598 times)

Offline mr_harrison75

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: Correspondence, Diaries, Journals and Her Bible
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 06:43:10 PM »
In Russian, perhaps the Synodal Translation, by Makarios and Pavsky, used by the Russian Orthodox Church. In English, most probably the KJ.

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2008, 03:38:19 AM »
Does anyone know what happened with all the correspondence of Alix which she send to her relatives in England, Germany, maybe Denmark, Roumania, Greece, Spain? Because I've read darling Loosy, correspondence which was written towards Princess Louise (daughter of Queen Victoria), were you can find 2 letters of Alix towards her aunt.

Those correspondence would give us a better insight of the live of our beloved Alix! Does anyone know about her correspondence towards her family?

And did she burned all her correspondence during February/March? Also of her siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles, or are there still letters in the GARF?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 09:17:58 PM by Alixz »

Lalee

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2008, 04:38:40 AM »
I've always thought it was awkward because I have read excerpts of Alix's letters to her siblings, but never full. So obviously they must still be around and perhaps published?

Teddy, I also think this would be interesting to read!

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2008, 05:28:40 AM »
Its know that the correspondence she had send to Queen Victoria is returned in 1901 after the death of the Queen  and that these letters are burned during the early days of the new Goverment.

There must also be correspondence of her  during the war trough neutral Sweden.

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2008, 03:00:42 AM »

Actually it was quite customary to burn important documents in order to save them from uninvited readers. Queen Victoria ordained a censorship for all her diaries; her daughter Princess Alice wished hers to be burnt completely! Even Empress Victoria of Germany extinguished all the incountable letters written by her siblings...
From nowadays view an enormous loss - certainly. But I think I would have done - considering the circumstances Alexandra Feodorovna was in - the same.
She kept the letters of the people closest to her: her husband and her father. The correspondence from all the other German and English relations seems to have been burnt - except from a number of postcards and telegrams.

On the other hand the Tsarina's letters are still existing. In Darmstadt, in Hemmelmark, at Broadlands and Windsor as well as in private property!
Meine Kaiserin

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2008, 04:03:57 AM »
Thomas,

Then the question would be raised: must we publish al those private papers? Still they were Royalty, but also private persons!

Do you think that the unpublished letters of Alexandra to her father, siblings, uncles, aunts, cousins we give us more insight or nothing new?

Lalee

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2008, 04:16:27 AM »
I don't know if we would learn anything new, but I most definitely think that we'll have a much more clearer picture of her relationship with her father, brother and sisters and other family members.

Offline Michael HR

• Knyaz
  • Imperial Corps Des Pages
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2008, 06:03:18 AM »
Shame the royal archives in England remainlocked forever. We may never know what treasures they have there.

Remembering the Imperial Corps Des Pages - The Spirit of Imperial Russia

Lalee

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2008, 06:38:15 AM »
Well.....this is actually what "learing new things" means for me :)

Oh, yes! In that sense we will be learning something new! LOL.

I have definitely read a postcard sent from Irene to Alix (very brief, though). I remember reading it somewhere on this forum, so hopefully I will be able to find it again and post it. In the earlier years (from what I definitely know, although it may have continued later on as well), Alix would frequently send Irene photographs, one of them which I recall her signing "Alix with her girlies." After Ella got married and moved to Russia, she most probably frequently wrote to Alix, as letters between them are preserved in their native Hesse; From what I know they haven't been published and are in a glass case, although Ella often ended her letters with "Most heartiest kisses from your loving sister, Ella." Alix also wrote to Victoria all the time, and she most definitely would have written to Ernie, as she probably felt closest to him.

It is strange that I always happen to come across excerpts but never read them full, which I would very much love to do..

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2008, 08:28:08 AM »
As regards the lettrs from Alexandra to her brother and sister in law Eleonore: they will be published! As far as I know.

Although Princess Irene of Prussia burnt much of her correspondence it seems that a number of letters from Alexandra is still existing - their descendants keep them at their personal archives at Hemmelmark, Germany.
Some of Irene's belongings were returned to the Hessians after she died - including letters and postcards, photographs, memorabilia, albums and other personal things
Meine Kaiserin

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
  • 1 Corinthians 13, Mark 11: 23-24, Romans 8: 38-39
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2010, 07:27:08 AM »
Alexandra Feodorovna to Zinaida SergÔťvna Tolstoy, born Bekhteeff
Tobolsk, January 26, 1918,
Dear good Zinotchka, I thank you wholeheartedly in behalf of all of us for your letters and coins for luck. The perfumes you sent us smell wonderfully! We live here quietly and calmly. Mr. J. wrote you how we spent our days. How sad and painful it is about what you read of our fatherlandís martyrdom. Like you, I am convinced that God hears our prayers, that He would pity and save Russia from ultimate destruction. Have endless patience and great sympathy and do not feel angry until the end. We do not understand what and how people survive now in Petersburg. Itís frightening! They live in darkness, they freeze and starve. In December, we received letters from P. Tili but since then, nothing. Does Rita still live with you? I kiss her, too. It is very freezing here, now itís a little warmer in the rooms but itís still cold. We send your family our sincere greetings. May God keep you, dear Zinotchka. I embrace you tightly.

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2010, 05:45:02 PM »
Do you know if the date of that letter is old or new style?
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2010, 08:32:46 PM »
It's old style.

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2010, 08:37:15 PM »
I would imagine she would have had a copy of the Gospels and Epistles in Church Slavonic. She was able to write postcards in Church Slavonic, so knew the language, which is the Liturgical language of the Russian Orthodox Church.

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2010, 03:49:31 AM »
Translation courtesy of myself :-(  Any mistake can be blamed on me... I saw this in a Russian website, a biography of GD Maria Nikolaevna.

"Dear Maria, Please distribute this picture of mine to all officers in the Big  Palace (during the First World War, the Empress has transformed the Catherine Palace  into a military hospital). If these are too much, return the rest to me. Then I send you bread for them (holy unleavened bread) which should be warmed up and eaten. I also send an image to our wounded officers. I donít know how many they (the wounded men) are and who are the non-Orthodox. Many officers will be transferred to your hospital. I hope that you will send me a letter. God keep you. 1000 kisses from your old mama who misses you so muchĒ.