Author Topic: Queen Victoria's Descendants  (Read 20178 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Queen Victoria's Descendants
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2006, 10:00:10 AM »
Yes, more's the pity. The online sources usually don't go back to the Victorian/Edwardian era. Newspaper archives do--such as the NYT and Washington Post--but not the magazine ones.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Alixz

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2006, 03:14:20 PM »
I remember the Readers Guide to Periodic Literature.

It was all we had to use back in the "stone age".  What is the OCLC?

I think that RGTPL has lost favor because so many of the periodicals have ceased publication.

Royalty as a subject has also lost favor with the fall of so many royal houses.  It used to be an everyday topic and readers followed the stories like they do the movie stars of today.

I have Mrs. Koening's books and I think they are a very good source for all things Victoria and her descendents.
I found out much that I didn't know before.

It amazes me (and of course, I am amazed very easily) that there are thousands of descendents.  But of course with generations multiplying so rapidly and the size of past families, I guess it should be expected.

I just never thought about it until I read her books.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2006, 04:23:54 PM »
OCLC (I forget exactly what the acronym stands for, something like Online Computerized Library Catalog) is basically a database of all published books, and not just those in English. You could put in some like 'Queen Alexandra of Great Britain' and it would bring up publications on her--including some commemorative issues of magazines that have an ISBN number. It's a great system and makes ordering through Interlibrary Loan easier because you do have the ISBN number (which makes it much easier for librarians).

Talking about all this makes me miss my days of working in libraries--especially in Interlibrary Loan!  :)
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/