Author Topic: Queen Mary part 2  (Read 100223 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Queen Mary part 2
« Reply #270 on: April 02, 2006, 06:31:51 PM »
I guess I should've chosen my words more carefully. I meant only to direct Cunarder to the other threads. Since the topic of Queen Mary's, shall we say, 'admiration' of other people's objects has led to heated debate (not necessarily a bad thing) in the past, it didn't seem constructive to bring up the same issues and chase our tails when the whole thing can be read about in the prior thread. It's like the QM and Romanov jewels--it gets brought up, the same arguments are made for and against and it just seems rather pointless at this point--at least to me who can never resist jumping into the fray anyway.  ;)
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 03, 2006, 05:47:23 AM »
Grace & GD Ella,

We need both of you too!!!!!  I only mentioned the Grand Duke & Martyn to try and make those two dudes feel guilty for not at least checking in to say hello!  It was been weeks since we have had a great debate on a new issue.

I recently tried to resurrect an old thread on Sarah York just to give us a new-old-different topic of discusssion and to get back into a "fray" myself but I keep receiving error messages.

TampaBay
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by TampaBay »
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 03, 2006, 06:38:38 AM »
Other than Alice of Athlone, who were Queen Mary's Friends?

TampaBay
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by TampaBay »
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 03, 2006, 06:52:03 AM »
Hi TB :)

Of the top of my head, Lady Cynthia Colville (great name!) was a great friend. Countess  Mabell Airlie was a life long friend too!
Grand Duchess Xenia and Queen Maud were also good friends! I wouldn't be suprised if Princess Marie Louise wasn't either, but am not sure! :)
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline royal_netherlands

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 04, 2006, 07:25:31 AM »
Hi TB :)

Of the top of my head, Lady Cynthia Colville (great name!) was a great friend. Countess  Mabell Airlie was a life long friend too!
Grand Duchess Xenia and Queen Maud were also good friends! I wouldn't be suprised if Princess Marie Louise wasn't either, but am not sure! :)

Yes I knew Queen Maud and Granduchess Xenia were good friends,but our thier picture of them together?
Walking whit eatchother or at a special occasion, saw a few( not much ) of Mary with Maud but not with Xenia.

royal netherlands

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 04, 2006, 08:17:23 AM »

HM Queen Mary.( in colour)

Offline CountessKate

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 04, 2006, 10:24:46 AM »
Grand Duchess Xenia and Queen Maud were also good friends!

Was GD Xenia a real friend of QM's?  I always got the impression she was George V's chum, childhood days in Denmark and all that sort of thing - and discrete about it, so that QM was happy to tolerate her.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #277 on: April 04, 2006, 10:35:14 AM »
They remained in contact even after GV's death and QM visited her at her grace & favour house. I don't think they were close friends though.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 04, 2006, 10:49:48 AM »
 Yes I think youre right,but Maud was a good friend of Mary wasnt she?

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 04, 2006, 11:44:48 AM »
Was GD Xenia a real friend of QM's?  I always got the impression she was George V's chum, childhood days in Denmark and all that sort of thing - and discrete about it, so that QM was happy to tolerate her.

From the content of Xenias letters it would seem they were very friendly, not necessaily close perhaps, but with Queen Mary ever supportive and generous. But maybe thats just my interpretation of it!  :)

When George VI died Xenia wrote to Queen Mary:

"I long to be near you, to hold you in my arms, kneel by your side and kiss yr hands & say how I suffer & share yr terrible grief"

Now I can't imagine anyone doing that to Queen Mary but I think that suggests a closeness, and not just someone who tolerates, to me :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Eddieboy_uk »
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #280 on: April 04, 2006, 06:47:04 PM »
QM, like many shy people, always struck me as having a few really close, loyal friends and then a wider group that she was friendly with.  

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 05, 2006, 08:40:52 AM »

This picture was send by a poster of the royals of the past forum,(thank you :)) its not verry clear but you can see Toria with her glasses just like Maud in other pictures. And Maud in the left corner with her Husband I believe.
A great picture with Toria and Maud and the other members of the royal family.
Really love the pictures of the balcony scene fron the jubilee in 1935. :)

royal netherlands

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #282 on: April 05, 2006, 11:51:30 AM »
I posted the balcony picture from a different angle on the Balcony thread here. (I'd go get it but the Forum's moving so slow I'm going to take a break after this message) The man next to Queen Maud is Prince Arthur of Connaught who was married to Maud's niece Alexandra Fife. In the other photo you can see Grand Duchess Xenia who was standing next to Arthur and Maud but isn't visible in this above photo.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 05, 2006, 02:19:34 PM »
I posted the balcony picture from a different angle on the Balcony thread here. (I'd go get it but the Forum's moving so slow I'm going to take a break after this message) The man next to Queen Maud is Prince Arthur of Connaught who was married to Maud's niece Alexandra Fife. In the other photo you can see Grand Duchess Xenia who was standing next to Arthur and Maud but isn't visible in this above photo.

Yes I remember them they were great Maud with her lognette are something like that.  :P
The forum is verry slow indeed so Im going to take a break to but if you have the patient agian,send thos ewonderfull images agian.
And thank you for the info on the man next to Maud to bad Xenia isnt on this shot but she is on the other picture.

royal netherlands :)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #284 on: April 05, 2006, 05:09:22 PM »
Queen Mary and George V acknowledging the crowds during 1911 Coronation celebrations